How does this happen | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How does this happen

It’s the result of the head coach being bigger than the program because the high dollar donors hold too much influence.
What does it matter. The money doesn’t give us any recruiting advantages.

We have a program that doesn't try that hard anymore. Look at the talent level on this team. How many guys on this team would be playing on Syracuse teams in the past? Maybe none. That is recruiting. Now look at the play on the floor. Was that Syracuse team prepared to play tonight? On either side of the floor. And if that is okay with the people on the hill, should we care as much? That is a question each and every one of us will have to make our own decisions on.
Me and some friends were playing with a Ouija board the other night after FSU and it told us "Get a life".

Weird.

I think all of the things that have been discussed as my criticism of certain things I know of the program are finally coming to light and catching up with JB.

He was on the road 3 times a couple years ago recruiting. Three. I’m talking extended time, not just he went to watch a game and left (which he did often) and thought that was doing something. That has caught up a ton

His refusal to learn how to text and keep in touch with recruits also huge issue. These kids want to hear from the coach. Guys like calipari crush it in this part of recruiting because he knows these kids need to hear from the man himself

The thought that his method is still best will never go away. You can see it from how he talks to the media. He never ever ever says the team is not good bc of me. This will never change

The fact JB does not talk to his assistant coaches during the game is still to me one of the most baffling things ever. I’m watching this UK game right now and every timeout, Izzo and Cal are huddled up with their coaches. Why is JB not doing the same ?! It’s ridiculous

I could go on and on but this is years upon years and I don’t wanna hear about final fours or sanctions. During the regular season, this team has stunk for a decade. It’s time. That’s all

I think all of the things that have been discussed as my criticism of certain things I know of the program are finally coming to light and catching up with JB.

He was on the road 3 times a couple years ago recruiting. Three. I’m talking extended time, not just he went to watch a game and left (which he did often) and thought that was doing something. That has caught up a ton

His refusal to learn how to text and keep in touch with recruits also huge issue. These kids want to hear from the coach. Guys like calipari crush it in this part of recruiting because he knows these kids need to hear from the man himself

The thought that his method is still best will never go away. You can see it from how he talks to the media. He never ever ever says the team is not good bc of me. This will never change

The fact JB does not talk to his assistant coaches during the game is still to me one of the most baffling things ever. I’m watching this UK game right now and every timeout, Izzo and Cal are huddled up with their coaches. Why is JB not doing the same ?! It’s ridiculous

I could go on and on but this is years upon years and I don’t wanna hear about final fours or sanctions. During the regular season, this team has stunk for a decade. It’s time. That’s all
Take a look at the crowd tonight, or lack thereof, the fans are becoming indifferent towards the product which is being put on the floor. It saddens this old guy who goes back to the Roy Danforth days.

Wasn’t Colgate 5-10 when cuse switched out of man? I don’t think that’s the problem…
I dont think they were. That said, the one thing you can do more easily in man defense is run the shooter off the 3 pt line, which wasn't happening earlier in the game when they were playing man. It should have been. But thats an adjustment that can be made pretty easily. In zone its much harder to do because you are trying to rotate to get to the ball/man

I dont think they were. That said, the one thing you can do more easily in man defense is run the shooter off the 3 pt line, which wasn't happening earlier in the game when they were playing man. It should have been. But thats an adjustment that can be made pretty easily. In zone its much harder to do because you are trying to rotate to get to the ball/man

I don’t know. It appeared that they were completely inept in both defenses. Not sure this is a man v zone situation. It’s a situation where they looked totally out of it on both sides of the ball. I can’t defend any part of the coaching that put this product on the floor. You lose in back to back years to Colgate, both blowouts, you lose my support.

We have a program that doesn't try that hard anymore. Look at the talent level on this team. How many guys on this team would be playing on Syracuse teams in the past? Maybe none. That is recruiting. Now look at the play on the floor. Was that Syracuse team prepared to play tonight? On either side of the floor. And if that is okay with the people on the hill, should we care as much? That is a question each and every one of us will have to make our own decisions on.
Maybe none? Absolutely none

And people want to promote from within.
I have been a huge advocate of keeping it in house. I actually believe that Jim has seriously damaged that opportunity for Red and Gmac.
Unless there is a huge turnaround it will be impossible for JW to stay in house.
Its Ironic that Jims own ego and stubbornness is most likely going to be the reason one of his own doesn't take over the program.

If you'd like a real answer...

He wants to prove YOU wrong. The zone still works and he'll show you.

That's why.
He said in the presser our man was terrible we had no choice to play zone??Also said Colgate is the best team we will play this season against the zone???

He said in the presser our man was terrible we had no choice to play zone??Also said Colgate is the best team we will play this season against the zone???
JB was smooth in trying to sell it. The reality is we were horrible in both.

How does he not text with kids.

We don’t seem to have any urgency, and these losses seem to have impacted the overall culture. Guys should want to fist fight in the locker room over embarrassing losses like this. Instead it’s like it’s “just another game”

I know how to fix it... let's hire from within!
The issue I have is that I don’t trust Wildhack to make a slam dunk hire. And there aren’t a lot of obvious guys out there ready to take the next step right now. We really missed the boat with both Musselman and Oates when they were ready to take the next step to P5 programs a few years ago.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom