How does this happen | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How does this happen

The problem is that I don’t trust Wildhack to make a slam dunk hire. And there aren’t a lot of obvious guys out there ready to take the next step right now. We really missed the boat with both Musselman and Oates when they were ready to take the next step to P5 programs a few years ago.
Good news!

If we stay bad the risk of a bad hire is a lot less.

Because we already suck.

Sunspots?
Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

We don’t seem to have any urgency, and these losses seem to have impacted the overall culture. Guys should want to fist fight in the locker room over embarrassing losses like this. Instead it’s like it’s “just another game”

Can you think of another 4 year starter in the history of the program who’s played in 1 tourney? It is just another game, sadly.

We don’t seem to have any urgency, and these losses seem to have impacted the overall culture. Guys should want to fist fight in the locker room over embarrassing losses like this. Instead it’s like it’s “just another game”
So true. No passion from the coaching staff. They all look dead

I want someone from the outside. Having said that, I believe that any of our current ass'ts would not mail it in the way we have been with regard to recruiting.

They are the ones responsible for the recruiting no?

Have you heard of the concept of "fair game"?

The people inside the building believe the problems are the folks outside the building.
Dunning/Krueger

Don’t question our genius coach! He has forgotten more about hoops than you will ever know!!

Um, he needs to go and we need to hire outside the program. We are hot garbage
True. He has forgotten more hoops than I will ever know. But that’s the issue. He forgot it.

There’s so many politics involved in where everything goes from here it’s not really worth getting worked up over. This just needs to be done though. Someone has to see it.
Agree. People have to ask themselves are they more concerned with Jim Boeheim or the future of SU basketball. If the answer is JB, you’re letting personal feelings interfere with running a business and I’m not sure that’s the best thing.

It will most likely end with a whimper. I don't see JB stepping down. So, the answer is that he will be done when his current contract expires. Bees said the word is this year and next and that is what will happen regardless of how the team does. It is what it is. The losers in all of this will be the assistant coaches unless JB pulls a rabbit out of his hat next season.

There’s so many politics involved in where everything goes from here it’s not really worth getting worked up over. This just needs to be done though. Someone has to see it.
I think you hit on both ends of the equation, they see there is an issue but there are politics involved in this decision. I find it very hard to believe that JW hasn’t said anything to JB about the decline in performance, but that doesn’t mean the large donors have come knocking on the door claiming it’s JB or the money. Many of those large donors are probably friends/friendly with JB considering the length of his tenure and they might feel a sense of loyalty to him.

Just my two cents, despite the continued poor performance of the sports programs, money keeps rolling in the door and that doesn’t scream “make changes”

Agree. People have to ask themselves are they more concerned with Jim Boeheim or the future of SU basketball. If the answer is JB, you’re letting personal feelings interfere with running a business and I’m not sure that’s the best thing.
Well said. I’m more interested in seeing a good Syracuse basketball team than a JB coached team.

Last edited:
The issue I have is that I don’t trust Wildhack to make a slam dunk hire. And there aren’t a lot of obvious guys out there ready to take the next step right now. We really missed the boat with both Musselman and Oates when they were ready to take the next step to P5 programs a few years ago.

Meh, if you do it right and go hire the best coach instead of pining to all the noise and make an in house or a family type hire there are plenty of good candidates out there every year. Oates and Musselman aren't John Wooden, they are very good competent coaches and recruiters who understand the current landscape. Oates is really really good.

Go hire the best coach, don't worry if they played or have Syracuse ties because it can get worse, look at Louisville, listen to the noise and you get a disaster like that

personally, I don't understand "I don't trust Wildhack" stuff.

What recruiting advantage do “the big donors” give us? I’ll hang up and listen.
Facility improvements, NIL opportunities, overall higher recruiting budget in general

Agreed. It's not the type of defense, it is how it's being played. And neither was played well.
There’s a reason 99% of teams use man as a base D. It’s not because zone is rocket science.

when you're a one pitch pony and teams figure it out...best have a changeup or curve. JB don't anymore.

I’m not sure what is so puzzling - we have missed on EVERY major recruit we originally wanted for years - literally scored none of them - o’fer - I laugh at the recruiting board when it says we offered someone - what did we offer? how much? they are going somewhere that’s paying a better wage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom