How freaking good is Maliq Brown? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How freaking good is Maliq Brown?

He reminds me of a young CJ Fair - always in the right place at the right time. If he can develop a little floater and some extra range, he’ll be extremely tough to contain. Hope he develops on a similar trajectory.
Fair is who he reminds me of too, just in the knack for always being in the right place and so little wasted motion. The games aren’t really that similar - even as a freshman cj had a pretty mature offensive game and he was more a finesse guy while brown is a one dribble and dunk guy so far.

I’ve seen the Rick Jackson comparisons but don’t really see them other than that they both play power forward. Jackson shot 52 percent from the floor as a freshman in pretty limited minutes. And his natural position really was the 5. He developed a post game that brown certainly doesn’t have now and my guess is that, in 2023, brown ends up moving his game more towards the perimeter as his career goes on.

Brown is smooth as silk, has strong hands, and what I really love is he finishes. He missed one shot today and Tech was hitting him like it was football.

If he develops a mid-range jumper he'll be John Wallace. If he stays in I think the O will go through him next year,

Man, I love his game. So smooth -- always in the right place, always moving without the ball to position himself to get the ball, great hands, and he's got a fantastic left hand. Great feel around the paint, with hesitations mixed in to let defenders go past him and set himself up for better shots.

Career high 18 points today.

Kid is really good. He's the best low post forward we've had since Hakim, in my opinion.

He is the exact model of a player for the dunker spot in college.

Efficient. Good hands. Quick decision maker. Finishes near the rim well.

He helps Joe and Judah BIG time.

Malik "Downtown" Brown! Put him in the heart of the "city" under the basket and give the other four guys a guaranteed assist.

Agree he has the CJ Fair gene in him -- best percentage from 6-inches out in a long time (CJ and Moten come to mind as the best finishers). Needs more playing time.--VBOF

The board has been screaming for him to play more for like 2 months now. I am just shocked it has taken JB so long to play him when he complains about rebounding every postgame especially early on in the season.

He is the exact model of a player for the dunker spot in college.

Efficient. Good hands. Quick decision maker. Finishes near the rim well.

He helps Joe and Judah BIG time.

He also is someone that when he breaks you better guard him because he is going to catch the long pass and finish. That offensive foul call was BS because he beats everyone down on those breaks. He makes pressing and increasing the tempo work because of what he does on both ends.

Man, I love his game. So smooth -- always in the right place, always moving without the ball to position himself to get the ball, great hands, and he's got a fantastic left hand. Great feel around the paint, with hesitations mixed in to let defenders go past him and set himself up for better shots.

Kid is really good. He's the best low post forward we've had since Hakim, in my opinion.

Me too, I love his game. He's the reason I'm posting today. I really like the way Maliq is playing. He's really good. If this team makes the tournament, Maliq will be the reason why this team makes a deep run. Edwards and Girard are great. but I just like the energy Maliq brings. He's big and he's fast. He just plays well.

Me too, I love his game. He's the reason I'm posting today. I really like the way Maliq is playing. He's really good. If this team makes the tournament, Maliq will be the reason why this team makes a deep run. Edwards and Girard are great. but I just like the energy Maliq brings. He's big and he's fast. He just plays well.
Little flash all business to his game, the sky is the limit for his future in my opinion.

Last edited:
He also is someone that when he breaks you better guard him because he is going to catch the long pass and finish. That offensive foul call was BS because he beats everyone down on those breaks. He makes pressing and increasing the tempo work because of what he does on both ends.
Thought Symir could have held that pass a second or so to pull that defender to himself and free up Brown.

He is a smart player, and the thing that jumps out to me is, as you mentioned, the off ball movement. Constantly looking to slide into position, cutting off ball, ready and available for easy scores. Love it.

100% right on.

Im going with Ricky Jackson comparison though. Straight up power forwards. Hak could play the wing but point taken.

Ricky had the same intangibles, right place, hi field IQ, rebounder, good hands, a little handle and make all the bunnies. Browns game is refreshing.
I don’t see that comparison. Rick was an old school low post player with a back to the basket game and had great footwork at operating on the block. Maliq is really good but has a different kind of game. Very smooth player, always in great position for a rebound or to catch a dump off pass or alley oop from a guard, great at getting steals, good defender, and does so many little things.

Can’t say enough good things about Brown. Veteran feel for the game. Always in the right spot and the amount of deflections/steals he has in transition is astounding.

I think what’s the most interesting is how low his ranking was. Maybe because of his style of play it was tough to see how it would translate, but I can’t remember the last time such a “low recruit” from the states had such a big role as a freshman.

A little reminiscent of Marek but rankings don’t really apply to international players.

100% right on.

Im going with Ricky Jackson comparison though. Straight up power forwards. Hak could play the wing but point taken.

Ricky had the same intangibles, right place, hi field IQ, rebounder, good hands, a little handle and make all the bunnies. Browns game is refreshing.
Sticking with my Wendell Alexis comp. Wendell was not flashy but extremely dependable and consistent. Great feel for the game, always in position for a rebound, screen, or steal trailing the play.
Wendell like Brown, didn't have much of an offense to his game, but developed a real nice midrange jumper by his senior season. If Maliq ever adds that aspect to his game, not to mention 20-25 lbs of muscle, he'll be an All-American.

Can’t say enough good things about Brown. Veteran feel for the game. Always in the right spot and the amount of deflections/steals he has in transition is astounding.

I think what’s the most interesting is how low his ranking was. Maybe because of his style of play it was tough to see how it would translate, but I can’t remember the last time such a “low recruit” from the states had such a big role as a freshman.

A little reminiscent of Marek but rankings don’t really apply to international players.
hima had a low ranking too...two great finds by the staff...theres a lot of talent out there after the "top 100"

Sticking with my Wendell Alexis comp. Wendell was not flashy but extremely dependable and consistent. Great feel for the game, always in position for a rebound, screen, or steal trailing the play.
Wendell like Brown, didn't have much of an offense to his game, but developed a real nice midrange jumper by his senior season. If Maliq ever adds that aspect to his game, not to mention 20-25 lbs of muscle, he'll be an All-American.
Love the Wendell Alexis comp. I’ve thought about him as a comparison as well. I think comparing freshmen seasons, Maliq is way ahead but maybe that’s because WA came into a better team and that meant it took longer to work into a contributing role. By the time he was an upperclassman, Wendell had a nice foul line jumper and was very good in the high post. And he was always a good defender and rebounder.

Maliq knows what he does.

Versus Chris who wants to know what he think he’s worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom