How freaking good is Maliq Brown? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How freaking good is Maliq Brown?

Sneakily athletic too, but he knows how to maneuver his body to get leverage for rebounds, box-outs, tips, etc.
Blink, and the kid has 4-5 straight dunks or layups. Yet compare it to Benny when he's in, you hardly see easy bunnies. He has a very subtle & unique game, this kid.

Last edited:
Moten was the same way, always around the rim heads up player. You look at the scoreboard and there's 16-20 pts.
That’s who he constantly reminds me of. I know it’s terrible because they are totally different positions, size, etc but his game reminds me of Moten. Smooth, always in the right spot, gets his shot off around the basket and you’re not sure how, and as you put you look up and there is 18 points on the scoreboard and it’s like, what?

The kid is a baller. I don't see the Jackson comparison at all. RJ was a post player back to the basket guy. Maliq runs much better that RJ ever did. Fair? Only in how they do the little things. Moten, yeah he does put up points silently. But he reminds me mostly of Wendell Alexis. Same height, same body, same game and he even runs straight up the same way Wendell did. If Maliq can add the the 8-10 foot range next year they'll be clones. I think he's got it now but knows he's the 4th or 5th option and just focuses on being in the right place which he certainly has a knack for.

Kid that hopefully sticks around next year and takes the leap in the rest of his game and works his way to a draft pick.

You can see the potential in a lot of his game.

Something exciting to look forward to, for sure.

Benny kept us in the Miami game…

Yes and no.

His scoring was desperately needed.

BUT -

He also gave up at least 2-3 of the late 3’s that The Ewe hit to close the gap and eventually take a lead.

So we can’t say definitely how things might have been different had somebody else been on the floor, given the pluses and minuses Benny brings.

Yes and no.

His scoring was desperately needed.

BUT -

He also gave up at least 2-3 of the late 3’s that The Ewe hit to close the gap and eventually take a lead.

So we can’t say definitely how things might have been different had somebody else been on the floor, given the pluses and minuses Benny brings.

Jim seems to be in an interesting situation regarding Brown, Williams, Bell and Taylor...a sort of what are you giving me today sort of deal. The hot hand plays.

Sneakily athletic too, but he knows how to maneuver his body to get leverage for rebounds, box-outs, tips, etc.
Blink, and the kid has 4-5 straight dunks or layups. Yet compare it to Benny when he's in, you hardly see easy bunnies. He has a very subtle & unique game, this kid.
I don't think there's anything sneaky about his athleticism. His game is all running and jumping in addition to knowing where to be. His combination of gifts and feel is great for this team and the future. He's like a supercharged Wes Johnson without a jumper.

I think the shooting will be coming. I've watched him take threes during warm-ups and he doesn't look awful out there. Which is damning with faint praise, but IIRC, Maliq comitted to basketball a little late as he primarily wanted to be a wide receiver. And that makes his advanced game intuition/intelligence that much more amazing.

Agreed. But I think it was one of those things where when he got into the game, he didn't do much, so Boeheim didn't play him the way he has other nights.

If Brown had made a bit more happen, then maybe he would have gotten more run.

But enough ifs and buts -- Maliq Brown is a stud.
Herein lies the issue. In that same game, Chris Bell was a complete zero but was afforded 6 more minutes than Maliq. Why? He was 1-6 with 3 points and 1 rebound. Maliq at least had 2 boards and 2 swipes lol.

Herein lies the issue. In that same game, Chris Bell was a complete zero but was afforded 6 more minutes than Maliq. Why? He was 1-6 with 3 points and 1 rebound. Maliq at least had 2 boards and 2 swipes lol.
PF - Maliq or Benny
SF- Taylor, Bell, QC

It isn't Bell vs Maliq for minutes. Against Miami, Benny got more minutes at PF because he was making a few plays. .

The challenge for Boeheim is that none of the SF candidates is consistently effective.

PF - Maliq or Benny
SF- Taylor, Bell, QC

It isn't Bell vs Maliq for minutes. Against Miami, Benny got more minutes at PF because he was making a few plays. .

The challenge for Boeheim is that none of the SF candidates is consistently effective.
My point was not necessarily Bell vs. Maliq. More so that one seems to be getting a much longer leash for what reason? In all honesty, I don't see a major issue running Benny and Maliq on the floor at the same time for short increments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom