How freaking good is Maliq Brown? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

How freaking good is Maliq Brown?

I know its basically all opinion., but I dont get why the general thought is Bell > Taylor when it comes to shooting. Other than volume...

Bell is currently 38% from 3
Taylor is currently 41% from 3

Seems pretty similar to me.
Fwiw, if you go by the “True Shooting %” advanced stat, which includes shooting inside the 3-pt arc and free-throw shooting, Bell rates as the better shooter. Bell’s TS% is 58.0%, whereas Taylor is at 55.1% (still good, but slightly worse than Bell). Plus, JB has said all year that Bell is one of the best shooters SU has ever had, so I think that’s why people generally believe Bell to be superior.

Next year we could have Taylor raining 3s from the 2-spot and Bell raining 3s from the 3-position… which could open up driving lanes for Judah and ultimately make us very hard to defend…

I might be misremembering but didn’t Brown play some center in one game this year?
Swider played the two once or twice last season, I’m just saying we’re not going into next year with just Hima and Carey.

Hima is foul prone and Carey is a cat rescue man.

1685048598445.gif

His PPG was 5.7. I don’t see how his MPG and PPG does go up. He will definitely contribute at the 4 or 5.

Doesn’t go up
It seems like he could get a lot of chances for drop off passes and offensive boards and the occasional alley-oop if he’s on the floor with guards who can slash and pass like Mintz, Starling, and Westry and a forward like Benny who spaces the floor rather than clogs the lane. He’d have all kinds of chances to rim run after setting ball screens, and to slip into the right place for an easy hoop when a guard drives and draws the defense.

Girard and Edwards probably weren’t doing a whole lot for his production - might be a better offensive fit for him next year.

Good to hear that assessment. He isn't a guy I'm worried about not fitting, but I'm also not certain how much the changes help or hinder his game.
Probably is irrelevant whether or not it "helps" him.

Brown has proven that he has high hoops IQ and can be productive even in limited minutes. He'd fit into any offensive system.

It seems like he could get a lot of chances for drop off passes and offensive boards and the occasional alley-oop if he’s on the floor with guards who can slash and pass like Mintz, Starling, and Westry and a forward like Benny who spaces the floor rather than clogs the lane. He’d have all kinds of chances to rim run after setting ball screens, and to slip into the right place for an easy hoop when a guard drives and draws the defense.

Girard and Edwards probably weren’t doing a whole lot for his production - might be a better offensive fit for him next year.
That highlight reel had at least three dunks for Brown assisted from Edwards. It made me sad Edwards is gone all over again.

That highlight reel had at least three dunks for Brown assisted from Edwards. It made me sad Edwards is gone all over again.

Yup.

He and Jesse (and Joe) had pretty good chemistry.

That said - Maliq is a very high hoops IQ kid.
He knows where to be to make plays and has a high motor, so I’m sure that’ll continue no matter who the other 4 guys on the floor are.

Maybe 5 mins a half at C and another 5+at PF (Benny gets most of the mins at the 4), and that’s ~20+ mins/game of Maliq.

Yup.

He and Jesse (and Joe) had pretty good chemistry.

That said - Maliq is a very high hoops IQ kid.
He knows where to be to make plays and has a high motor, so I’m sure that’ll continue no matter who the other 4 guys on the floor are.

Maybe 5 mins a half at C and another 5+at PF (Benny gets most of the mins at the 4), and that’s ~20+ mins/game of Maliq.

Plus, I expect that we're going to be playing a LOT more man2man / pressure-oriented type of defense, where the players will be called upon to expend more energy on that side of the ball.

So the old substitution patterns where a couple of key players get 30+ minutes penciled in every game will probably change.

Under the kind of system described above, which is the direction I expect Red to go, playing 20 mpg is a lot for a reserve, and more in line with how I expect substitution patterns to go. Would prefer to see our principals playing more like 28 mpg, with quality reserves backing them up so everyone stays fresh.

Plus, I expect that we're going to be playing a LOT more man2man / pressure-oriented type of defense, where the players will be called upon to expend more energy on that side of the ball.

So the old substitution patterns where a couple of key players get 30+ minutes penciled in every game will probably change.

Under the kind of system described above, which is the direction I expect Red to go, playing 20 mpg is a lot for a reserve, and more in line with how I expect substitution patterns to go. Would prefer to see our principals playing more like 28 mpg, with quality reserves backing them up so everyone stays fresh.
Agreed...I remember teams like Baylor and Houston running Cuse into the ground. I knew the zone was dead as the primary defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom