How freaking good is Maliq Brown? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

How freaking good is Maliq Brown?

Maliq plays with a set area on offense and is pretty much within close proximity to the basket and is able to position himself for put backs and rebounders. Benny is mainly away from the basket on offensive and is found between the foul line and the three point line. If Benny is truly hot from the outside then Malik‘s offensive output although needed for rebounding is minimized. Both players are PF. Where Chris Bell and Benny overlap with respect to outside shooting where no one overlaps with Mailiq‘s inside play.

My point was not necessarily Bell vs. Maliq. More so that one seems to be getting a much longer leash for what reason? In all honesty, I don't see a major issue running Benny and Maliq on the floor at the same time for short increments.
I think Maliq has earned a very long leash (30-plus minutes/game). He needs to operate in close (has he made a shot away from the paint?), and that is fine. The team needs the inside scoring and strength on the boards to complement Edwards.

So, then, what leash do any of the 3 small forwards deserve? SF minutes don't have much to do with Maliq's minutes. Benny is not effective on the perimeter. Boeheim is trying to get him to take his game inside. Bell can shoot, but isn't otherwise doing much in the starting line-up. And Taylor and QC might be good, next year. So, the option for JB is to rotate guys, hope he gets enough from Girard, Edwards, Mintz and Brown to overcome what he isn't getting from that SF spot. Not ideal.

Brown seems to have good form on his free throws. Indicates that he could expand his range
Also of note, Copeland had 6 rebounds and 2 assists.
Great addition to mention Copeland. He was definitely the right ingredient we needed in this game

Man, I love his game. So smooth -- always in the right place, always moving without the ball to position himself to get the ball, great hands, and he's got a fantastic left hand. Great feel around the paint, with hesitations mixed in to let defenders go past him and set himself up for better shots.

Career high 18 points today.

Kid is really good. He's the best low post forward we've had since Hakim, in my opinion.
I actually thought Guerrier was really good as a frosh too but I like Brown a lot regardless. You noted the left hand — a simple thing that not a lot of kids can go to. The movement without the ball is subtle too but very effective. The hands defensively are huge.

Will be interesting to watch what his game develops into. There’s part of me that just hopes he gets stronger and dominates around the basket. Sometimes doing one thing really well can be a major advantage.

I think Maliq has earned a very long leash (30-plus minutes/game). He needs to operate in close (has he made a shot away from the paint?), and that is fine. The team needs the inside scoring and strength on the boards to complement Edwards.

So, then, what leash do any of the 3 small forwards deserve? SF minutes don't have much to do with Maliq's minutes. Benny is not effective on the perimeter. Boeheim is trying to get him to take his game inside. Bell can shoot, but isn't otherwise doing much in the starting line-up. And Taylor and QC might be good, next year. So, the option for JB is to rotate guys, hope he gets enough from Girard, Edwards, Mintz and Brown to overcome what he isn't getting from that SF spot. Not ideal.
Didn’t read the whole context of this discussion but I agree with your points here. My thought if I had to rank the order of guys getting the 50 or so non-Brown minutes (maybe 10 when he’s on the bench plus the other spot’s 40).

1) Bell — I’m not a fan of his floor game but do think he’s been a bit more active lately. I’m fine with him playing very few minutes but getting him on the floor makes sense to at least see if he can bring something with his shooting. It’s interesting to look at the three games before his big outburst vs. ND. In those three he was averaging about 15 mins and 7 points on 8 of 10 shooting from three. Doesn’t make him a great player but teams do at least have to respect his shooting.

2) Taylor — Been shooting the ball a bit better and while he’s not currently much of a factor offensively, he’s active and consistent defensively. Can rebound a little too. Again, doesn’t excite me too much for this season but he’s adding stuff without taking much away.

3) Benny — not sure he’s earned this but he looks the part. If he’s still bought in (which is probably a valid question as he’s seeing his minutes dwindle), you at least know he has the ability to be a factor. Not sure it’ll be happening but he’s a tough guy to completely give up on.

4) Copeland — not sure what exactly he brings and we know TOs can be a problem and shooting isn’t great. But there’s something about the swag and energy that he has that I don’t really see from the other three. It’s at least worth some minutes from time to time.

Didn’t read the whole context of this discussion but I agree with your points here. My thought if I had to rank the order of guys getting the 50 or so non-Brown minutes (maybe 10 when he’s on the bench plus the other spot’s 40).

1) Bell — I’m not a fan of his floor game but do think he’s been a bit more active lately. I’m fine with him playing very few minutes but getting him on the floor makes sense to at least see if he can bring something with his shooting. It’s interesting to look at the three games before his big outburst vs. ND. In those three he was averaging about 15 mins and 7 points on 8 of 10 shooting from three. Doesn’t make him a great player but teams do at least have to respect his shooting.

2) Taylor — Been shooting the ball a bit better and while he’s not currently much of a factor offensively, he’s active and consistent defensively. Can rebound a little too. Again, doesn’t excite me too much for this season but he’s adding stuff without taking much away.

3) Benny — not sure he’s earned this but he looks the part. If he’s still bought in (which is probably a valid question as he’s seeing his minutes dwindle), you at least know he has the ability to be a factor. Not sure it’ll be happening but he’s a tough guy to completely give up on.

4) Copeland — not sure what exactly he brings and we know TOs can be a problem and shooting isn’t great. But there’s something about the swag and energy that he has that I don’t really see from the other three. It’s at least worth some minutes from time to time.
Copeland should play any time we find ourselves down points. Not as much when we're protecting a lead (this year at least), subject to certain situations like needing rebounding and energy against Miami. Future starter though.

I guess my question to you would be why do you think a "SF" has to be on the floor at all times? My opinion, and it's strictly that, is that Jim needs to get minutes to his best players (within reason). At this point, I don't view Benny or Bell as "must be on the court guys". I think they should be getting minutes but to just cast Maliq off in that Miami game while keeping Bell on the court was a terrible decision. And to me, that was just one of many missteps for Jim in that game. A few weeks ago, I thought he was close to getting his rotation with this team but I think it's gone backwards. Yet again on Saturday, we had to watch this team fall behind by 10+ while Bell and Benny started and did nothing with the opportunity. Luckily, they were playing a depleted, and really bad, Tech team. Fall behind by 10 tonight vs UNC? Game over. It can't keep happening, yet it does...

Looks like Maliq's younger sister plays basketball too, HCFLJ better start the conversation now if she is anything like Maliq!

I know its basically all opinion., but I dont get why the general thought is Bell > Taylor when it comes to shooting. Other than volume...

Bell is currently 38% from 3
Taylor is currently 41% from 3

Seems pretty similar to me.

I know its basically all opinion., but I dont get why the general thought is Bell > Taylor when it comes to shooting. Other than volume...

Not enough of a difference, Bell legit does zero other than shoot.

What worries me is next year I have a feeling Brown will be the 2nd center unless Carey steps up big time. Jim ain't going to have a lot of patience with the young guy unless they get a center from the portal.

Just taking a shot in the dark here, but Bell’s release is probably quicker and more aesthetically pleasing to fans.

What worries me is next year I have a feeling Brown will be the 2nd center unless Carey steps up big time. Jim ain't going to have a lot of patience with the young guy unless they get a center from the portal.
Brown isn’t anywhere near big enough to play center. I doubt we ever see him there.

Brown isn’t anywhere near big enough to play center. I doubt we ever see him there.

Look at the choices t3z and tell me Jim won't put him there? Marek played there

Not enough of a difference, Bell legit does zero other than shoot.
Well yeah...but I was only speaking on the shooting front.

Despite playing 64 less mins, Taylor has
- 8 more boards
- 2x the assists
- 3x the steals
- 4x less turnovers

* shrug *
I'm been clear what bandwagon I'm on. And it's not the "hot hand" one.

Look at the choices t3z and tell me Jim won't put him there? Marek played there
Marek was almost 7 foot tall. I’m assuming someone would come in through the portal, Brown isn’t playing the 5, he’s barely big enough for the 4.

Marek was almost 7 foot tall. I’m assuming someone would come in through the portal, Brown isn’t playing the 5, he’s barely big enough for the 4.

I hope you're right about the portal but I don't see a second option on the current team unless Carey heals and can produce. And let me say I think Brown would be adequate there...don't want him at the 5 but he'd do fine.

I might be misremembering but didn’t Brown play some center in one game this year?

I might be misremembering but didn’t Brown play some center in one game this year?
Yeah he played small ball 5 in garbage time during those games where John Bol was getting more run

Yeah he played small ball 5 in garbage time during those games where John Bol was getting more run

I thought there was a game where Jesse was in foul trouble and instead of Hima went with Brown for a few minutes?

I guess my question to you would be why do you think a "SF" has to be on the floor at all times? My opinion, and it's strictly that, is that Jim needs to get minutes to his best players (within reason). At this point, I don't view Benny or Bell as "must be on the court guys". I think they should be getting minutes but to just cast Maliq off in that Miami game while keeping Bell on the court was a terrible decision. And to me, that was just one of many missteps for Jim in that game. A few weeks ago, I thought he was close to getting his rotation with this team but I think it's gone backwards. Yet again on Saturday, we had to watch this team fall behind by 10+ while Bell and Benny started and did nothing with the opportunity. Luckily, they were playing a depleted, and really bad, Tech team. Fall behind by 10 tonight vs UNC? Game over. It can't keep happening, yet it does...
Well, I think JB has always played that way - 3 perimeter guys, 2 inside guys. On defense, it does not matter (both forwards play similar roles) but on offense he has tended to want 3 guys who can shoot and handle.
I believe we agree that Brown deserves big minutes.
The issue is which forward (including Benny) can be effective as that 5th guy on the floor. You can look at stats, or plus/minus, or who does little things that don’t show up in stats. I don’t see a clear winner, and the debate likely will continue.

I don't think there's anything sneaky about his athleticism. His game is all running and jumping in addition to knowing where to be. His combination of gifts and feel is great for this team and the future. He's like a supercharged Wes Johnson without a jumper.
Agreed. By "sneakily" I actually meant that he's not exactly Dominique Wilkins, aka "The Human Highlight Film", but rather he'll do something...like that GREAT catch under the rim vs ND(?), that makes you go WHOA! I mean that was one helluva play, but Maliq makes it look..ho hum.

Last edited:
Well yeah...but I was only speaking on the shooting front.

Despite playing 64 less mins, Taylor has
- 8 more boards
- 2x the assists
- 3x the steals
- 4x less turnovers

* shrug *
I'm been clear what bandwagon I'm on. And it's not the "hot hand" one.
I still will defend Bell when compared to Taylor, despite not being happy at all with his play the last two games. When you mention three point volume above this post, we are talking nearly twice as many attempts, 73 vs 39. To not be that much lower in percentage despite that many more attempts is impressive. Taylors attempt numbers are actually way closer to Benny's from three point range (24 attempts at 41%). As for the other stats I think it looks more impressive when you say how many times more he has of something instead of the actual numbers. Yes he has 2x as many assists but we are not talking about many assists (8 vs 16). He has 3x the steals but we are not talking about a boatload of steals (15 vs 5). I will give you turnovers, as I think that is the main argument for taylor mins vs Benny and Bell. Less turnovers is always better, but the rest seem not super relevant as he is not some passing stealing rebounding machine.

Bell did not blow up the stat sheet in the second half against GT, but he also did what we needed him to do in the zone. Taylor got in trouble on D a couple times and I think that is why he was left on the bench. I think the infamous plus minus stat that is often thrown out as a problem with Bell would be in his favor in that second half. Think he is due for a night helping us out on the offensive end and showing why he gets the mins. Wont give a half aszed analysis of technique, but I think he is better at getting open to shoot and more confident in his shot, and the attempt numbers are a reflection of that.

I still will defend Bell when compared to Taylor, despite not being happy at all with his play the last two games. When you mention three point volume above this post, we are talking nearly twice as many attempts, 73 vs 39. To not be that much lower in percentage despite that many more attempts is impressive. Taylors attempt numbers are actually way closer to Benny's from three point range (24 attempts at 41%). As for the other stats I think it looks more impressive when you say how many times more he has of something instead of the actual numbers. Yes he has 2x as many assists but we are not talking about many assists (8 vs 16). He has 3x the steals but we are not talking about a boatload of steals (15 vs 5). I will give you turnovers, as I think that is the main argument for taylor mins vs Benny and Bell. Less turnovers is always better, but the rest seem not super relevant as he is not some passing stealing rebounding machine.

Bell did not blow up the stat sheet in the second half against GT, but he also did what we needed him to do in the zone. Taylor got in trouble on D a couple times and I think that is why he was left on the bench. I think the infamous plus minus stat that is often thrown out as a problem with Bell would be in his favor in that second half. Think he is due for a night helping us out on the offensive end and showing why he gets the mins. Wont give a half aszed analysis of technique, but I think he is better at getting open to shoot and more confident in his shot, and the attempt numbers are a reflection of that.
all fair points.

I think Bell could get better in all categories. I love his shot and I’m not opposed to him getting mins at all. Just think Taylor is better now and should play more all things being equal. If Bell is hitting, he should be playing. If not, imo, Taylor is just better is all areas specifically D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom