How good could we be? | Syracusefan.com

How good could we be?

every day he drops further down the boards on most sites.. maybe staying and playing for free with less money issues is a good thing to him.

we got a high end kid down here looking at the same decision and its not a done deal either

Elijah coming back would be huge. But ultimately, how good the team can be will hinge on the Centers. Either a transfer who can play immediately or a big developmental leap from Edwards or JBA.

Elijah coming back would be huge. But ultimately, how good the team can be will hinge on the Centers. Either a transfer who can play immediately or a big developmental leap from Edwards or JBA.

I don't know -- Sidibe is established, we have two young prospects, and another guy [Marek] who can play there in a pinch.

I think how good the team can be will hinge squarely upon the improvement from the guards. Elijah was huge last year. We need the two guards to pick up a lot of the slack and be more effective / versatile, as we won't replace Elijah's production with any one player.

College basketball is so heavily guard driven, that's where the improvement needs to come.

I don't know -- Sidibe is established, we have two young prospects, and another guy [Marek] who can play there in a pinch.

I think how good the team can be will hinge squarely upon the improvement from the guards. Elijah was huge last year. We need the two guards to pick up a lot of the slack and be more effective / versatile, as we won't replace Elijah's production with any one player.

College basketball is so heavily guard driven, that's where the improvement needs to come.

As bad as the defense was up top, it was worse at the rim. Something needs to happen there or teams are again just going to get the ball into the paint and do whatever they feel like doing.

As bad as the defense was up top, it was worse at the rim. Something needs to happen there or teams are again just going to get the ball into the paint and do whatever they feel like doing.

We definitely need to rebound, block shots, and be stronger and more physical defensively in the paint. I'm hoping that Guerrier will help that, and that Sidibe's late season improvement will also continue over. Improved depth up front and physical maturity from the trio of centers will also help.

Adding a prospect like Haarms would be an absolute home run. Absent that, I still believe that the biggest bang for the buck in terms of improvement for next year's team needs to come from the guards.

We definitely need to rebound, block shots, and be stronger and more physical defensively in the paint. I'm hoping that Guerrier will help that, and that Sidibe's late season improvement will also continue over. Improved depth up front and physical maturity from the trio of centers will also help.

Adding a prospect like Haarms would be an absolute home run. Absent that, I still believe that the biggest bang for the buck in terms of improvement for next year's team needs to come from the guards.
We need a jump in guard play AND we need someone who can beat his man off the dribble and create shots for others. Without Eli, we do not have that currently, although I think that Kadary will be that player eventually.

It was suggested in other threads by some very good posters that maybe Marek can play a point forward/playmaker role. Maybe he can on occasion. I don't think he can do that effectively enough in half court sets, especially after scouting kicks in against ACC defenses. He is currently the best passer on the team and he has excellent game awareness. He is very good in open court fast breaks with the the ball in his hands. But, to put him a pseudo PG role in half court sets will significantly limit his effectiveness not enhance it.

Marek is not beating many guys off the dribble in half court sets. He would not be effective in high pick and role sets as the ball handler (he would be much better setting those picks, rolling or making secondary passes off of that action). Ds will play way off him and dare him shoot.

I just can’t imagine him coming back. Even with G league salaries now, players can make from 225k to 385k. 83 players in 2019 made 385k. Don’t get how you walk away from potentially getting drafted to even earning that type of money. Best case scenario if he returns is what? He may improve his draft stock by 5-10 places. Getting 1st round money would be great but not sure he can do much more at the college level to sky rocket up draft boards ...

I agree about the centers. If we had someone that could make teams have to stay honest on the interior, it would open things up for the shooters. With Hughes, we would have a guy that can create off the dribble. Rick Jackson or Onuaku like production from the 5 would make a huge difference.

If Elijah comes back. Because as I watch this interview it’s not unreasonable to think he very well may come back next year.
He gone! Well just kidding you. He is leaving his options opens. We know how the story ends.
I would think he could still showcase himself even more next year in the tournament next year.

Then he could become a first rounder with very little risk of losing money besides losing the year, but he’s gone!

• If Elijah comes back. Because as I watch this interview it’s not unreasonable to think he very well may come back next year.

• we would be very very good as we showed at the end of the year what we’re capable of Anybody that doesn’t think will be a top 15 team needs to look more carefully at the talent in college basketball

• we would be very very good as we showed at the end of the year what we’re capable of Anybody that doesn’t think will be a top 15 team needs to look more carefully at the talent in college basketball

If the now battle tested JGIII and Guerrier make the sophomore leap...

And if Griffin is declared immediately eligible or Elijah returns...

And if Buddy adds a little more versatility to what he does offensively...

And if Sidibe's play at end of the season wasn't fools gold and he can be a more consistent contributor as a senior...

...then next year's team could be ranked, for sure.

He gone! Well just kidding you. He is leaving his options opens. We know how the story ends.
I would think he could still showcase himself even more next year in the tournament next year.

Then he could become a first rounder with very little risk of losing money besides losing the year, but he’s gone!
1586401782232.jpeg

Eli is a great interview but was clearly being cordial. He wasn’t going to say “there’s no chance I’m coming back”. The staff is looking to full
The last scholarship as we speak. He’s gone

I wanted him back because I think he will improve. Problem is will the NBA reward him for rounding out his game?

Oddly enough all the guys who have declared I’ve thought would slip while Eli probably rises.

Also there is no guarantee he leads the ACC again in scoring.

Think he stacks up well vs everyone outside the top 25 or so. Hope he returns.

If he comes back, some people may get their wish, and Buddy comes off the bench

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom