How has JB done with MCW and Xmas? | Syracusefan.com

How has JB done with MCW and Xmas?

otto123

Walk On
Both of these players could of been x factors come March but JB has chosen to not give either any minutes at all. Both are good enough players to get some time and contribute. They both should be further along in their development but the lack of playing time has made it not possible. By not using both of these players JB is not getting the full potential out of this team.

the old adage used to be "there's no more freshmen come march". we're the opposite. our frosh peaked in december.

I understand with MCW. Any team with Scoop, Waiters and Triche would have their freshman point guard riding the pine. Even if hes an AA. Look at LaQuinton Ross and OSU. At least MCW isnt vocally pissed about it to the media. As far as Xmas, I really think he should play over Keita. I felt really bad for him today when he was pulled .5 seconds into the game. Seriously, what is the point of starting him? Isnt it more embarassing to keep getting pulled 10 seconds into the game, knowing you wont return again? I dont get it.

Disagree. Im guessing you dont watch practices regularly like JB does (just an assumption on my part). If they played great and distinguished themselves in practice then I would think JB would reward them with more run (especially Rak since BMK just isnt very good).

Put it this way, if Scoop (a super senior), Triche (a junior) and Waiters (a sophmore) are lacking in production, then what have you seen from MCW on a consistent basis to think that he deserves regular playing time? ...at the expense of whom? I mean...he's the fourth guard and he's a freshman. He will have his day in the sun but it was NEVER going to be this year.

Rak vs. BMK is debatable but...believe it or not...BMK is more consistent on the defensive end than Rak.

Also, if you want to develop players in games...then you have to put them into games. We have had our fair share of close games such that I would not want either of them on the court. I would rather take a 'W' (without them playing) than an 'L' and say "hey, at least we saw what MCW/Rak are capable of in extended minutes and I think they learned a lot in this loss." You would then question why those two players got so much run. In other words, JB just cant satisfy you. Oh well. The wins keep on coming.

I understand with MCW. Any team with Scoop, Waiters and Triche would have their freshman point guard riding the pine. Even if hes an AA. Look at LaQuinton Ross and OSU. At least MCW isnt vocally pissed about it to the media. As far as Xmas, I really think he should play over Keita. I felt really bad for him today when he was pulled .5 seconds into the game. Seriously, what is the point of starting him? Isnt it more embarassing to keep getting pulled 10 seconds into the game, knowing you wont return again? I dont get it.

Disagree about MCW he is good enough to get at least 5-10 minutes every game. I think he could have really contributed this season if given the chance.

Disagree. Im guessing you dont watch practices regularly like JB does (just an assumption on my part). If they played great and distinguished themselves in practice then I would think JB would reward them with more run (especially Rak since BMK just isnt very good).

Put it this way, if Scoop (a super senior), Triche (a junior) and Waiters (a sophmore) are lacking in production, then what have you seen from MCW on a consistent basis to think that he deserves regular playing time? ...at the expense of whom? I mean...he's the fourth guard and he's a freshman. He will have his day in the sun but it was NEVER going to be this year.

Rak vs. BMK is debatable but...believe it or not...BMK is more consistent on the defensive end than Rak.

Also, if you want to develop players in games...then you have to put them into games. We have had our fair share of close games such that I would not want either of them on the court. I would rather take a 'W' (without them playing) than an 'L' and say "hey, at least we saw what MCW/Rak are capable of in extended minutes and I think they learned a lot in this loss." You would then question why those two players got so much run. In other words, JB just cant satisfy you. Oh well. The wins keep on coming.

I would take a couple more losses in the regular season to have a team that is more ready for March. The goal of the regular season is to get your team ready for the tournament. You can go undefeated in the regular season and lose in the second round what good were all those wins? MCW has shown me that he deserves a chance, we were playing our best when he was in the rotation.

Both of these players could of been x factors come March but JB has chosen to not give either any minutes at all. Both are good enough players to get some time and contribute. They both should be further along in their development but the lack of playing time has made it not possible. By not using both of these players JB is not getting the full potential out of this team.

I agree. Christmas still has lots to learn but, unlike Melo last year, he is in good athletic shape. It seemed he was progressing some and actually looked quite solid against Cinci in Fabs absence. MCW looked deserving of some quality minutes leading up to his little "blow-out" with JB. Both could have made quality contributions in both the BET and the NCAA Tourney but it stands to reason that both have taken a step backwards in the past 4 or 5 games due to a lack of real minutes. Tough to argue with JB's philosophy but I think the team lost a little of its potency and versatility by not continuing their progression. I wouldn't expect either to get more than a couple of minutes in any game for the remainder of the year.

I would take a couple more losses in the regular season to have a team that is more ready for March. The goal of the regular season is to get your team ready for the tournament. You can go undefeated in the regular season and lose in the second round what good were all those wins? MCW has shown me that he deserves a chance, we were playing our best when he was in the rotation.

I was never coached that way in any sport. The goal of the regular season is to win the regular season. The goal of the post season is to win the post season. There is no give-and-take. IMO, anything else is a losers mentality.

same argument different year. MCW doesnt play so he's not ready...but then its construed as he doesnt play because he isnt ready. self fulfilling prophecy. and i dont understand what seniority has to do with it. freshman play in this era of bball..they play all over the place. the way triche and waiters have been playing, I dont see how giving the kid a look see is sacrilege. in fact, im certain today i saw him about to check in at the scorers table and then he mysteriously disappeared.

Tough to argue with JB's philosophy.

Not really that hard to question a philosophy that sees its teams routinely peak in November and December, before hitting the iceberg and slowly sinking.

This team needs MCW and James to contribute. They're not ready because JB predetermined they would be written out of the script. Happens every year.

I almost wish MCW was redshirted this year instead of Cooney. I agree that MCW could be playing 5-10 minutes off the bench and making an impact, but it would be nice to have a sharp-shooter coming off the bench instead.

Not really that hard to question a philosophy that sees its teams routinely peak in November and December, before hitting the iceberg and slowly sinking.

This team needs MCW and James to contribute. They're not ready because JB predetermined they would be written out of the script. Happens every year.
Guess you would know a lot about predetermined scripts, wouldn't you?

the fallacy in this thought process is that young players get better in games. they don't get better in games, they get better in practice. start beating guys in practice, and you play. i remember two years ago people were banging on boeheim after the AO injury because he didn't "develop" the kid behind him, that transferred (i forget his name). this assertion was easily debunked upon analysis, the guy played something like the equivalent of 5 or 6 full games over the season. which brings me to my next point, guys compete for their minutes for their whole career. how do you geniuses rationalize giving minutes to players that are worse than the guys ahead of them? how do you tell a 5th year senior like scoop, or a true senior like joseph, "hey man we need to cut your minutes even more to play this frosh that isn't as good as you, on the off chance they might be semi-decent by march". good luck with that.

Southerland has been given every chance to contribute and is still given that chance.

Sent from my DROIDX

I almost wish MCW was redshirted this year instead of Cooney. I agree that MCW could be playing 5-10 minutes off the bench and making an impact, but it would be nice to have a sharp-shooter sitting on the bench instead.

fyp

Southerland has been given every chance to contribute and is still given that chance.

Sent from my DROIDX
Southerland is by necessity. JB is not gonna play Rak meaningful minutes, period. So that leaves CJ/Kris as our only F; Southerland only gets PT because without him Kris and CJ would play 40 and 38 mpg respectively. Southerland doesn't erally have to "earn" PT because we need him 5-10mpg regardless.

MCW on the other hand is not needed in the sense that we have extra G minutes to hand out. It would be nice ot see him get a shot, but I don't see it happening at this point. However, I do think he'll get some run in the 1st BET game and perhaps a little in the 2nd.

After UConn we have a week off; then after Louisville we have another 4 days off.

Sent from my DROIDX

Define "chance". He knows he gets pulled if he misses his first 2 jumpers. That's pretty much been his stat line for the past month. Try playing loose with that hook waiting. Easier said than done. As for MCW, he's shown more than enough in his limited time to get at least 10 minutes a game. It's easy to say he isn't ready - but that's what we want to believe because it's a rational argument. Doesn't mean it's a fact. Waiting for the 2 guards ahead of him to get their heads on straight at the expense of zero playing time is just limiting the overall team development and cannot possibly help team chemistry.

Define "chance". He knows he gets pulled if he misses his first 2 jumpers. That's pretty much been his stat line for the past month. Try playing loose with that hook waiting. Easier said than done. As for MCW, he's shown more than enough in his limited time to get at least 10 minutes a game. It's easy to say he isn't ready - but that's what we want to believe because it's a rational argument. Doesn't mean it's a fact. Waiting for the 2 guards ahead of him to get their heads on straight at the expense of zero playing time is just limiting the overall team development and cannot possibly help team chemistry.
To win a championship we need Triche and Waiters to be there normal selves. I like MCW a lot and think he will be a stud; but playing him 15mpg now is not gonna be the difference between us going to New Orleans or not. We need BT and Dion to get out of their slumps ASAP, and you can only work on it so much in practice.

"Developing" MCW so he's "ready" for next year isn't something we should be doing 2 weeks before the BET.

Every year on most every forum there are some people who insist on putting on the old winter underwear and going out with with the trap door down. Same result every time and you never learn. You end up exposing a whole lot more than you had intended.
The man has 30 plus years of evaluating and developing high D1 talent. He also knows a thing or two about how important obtaining the highest possible seed in the dance is. There is no benefit /cost analysis here, there is just winning.
Oh yes, thawing brains out should be done slowly with great care.

Did JB predetermine that MCW would blow 2 straight defensive posessions against UConn, or did MCW manage that all by himself?

1) I would argue that team chemistry is exceptional this year. How can you argue otherwise?

2) JSouth's playing time is directly proportional to KJo's foul trouble (and blow outs). South got extended minutes when KJo was in foul trouble against ND and he had a great game...at least on the offensive end...but we still lost (and he fouled out). Im a big fan of JSouth but I dont think he is a difference maker; he's not a guy you CREATE minutes for. If he hits, ride the hot hand. If he misses, well...hopefully he has given KJo enough time to rest or has at least kept the score close because he is inconsistent on the defensive end. Productive minutes from JSouth is a BONUS...not a necessity.

When he hits, look out. But his entire career his been spotty. You cant win a National Championship with spotty players; it's a single elimination tournament.

With that said, I truly believe we will go as far as Triche and Dion will take us. THEY need to be consistent...NOT JSouth. With that said, I worry about Triche... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom