How it ends: Going out on a whimper | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

How it ends: Going out on a whimper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we are still top 10 according to forbes, specifically ranked 6th with 17.1 million profit on average.

Either indicator - revenue or profit is top 10. I would say these are great indicators of what our output should be.

This number means we can potentially pry away a top P5 coach currently at the top of his game... Using Oats as an example, he currently makes $3.3 million from Alabama. If we give him a 50% raise, that is only $1.5 million above JB's salary and easily within our margin of profit. Considering the cash cow Syracuse basketball has been for 40 years, the financial commitment to excellence in our next hire seems like a no doubt decision.

Last edited:
And that jacket, tie and hairline reeled in Julie. Smh. Talk about wins in his career. This win never gets talked about. Amazing. I mean look at that god awefull jacket. It hurts my eyes.
JBs a tiger

I don’t understand.

“Stay” for how long? How much longer can he actually coach? We are going to step on the grass on the other side very soon.

And what does an “upgrade“ need to look like? We are pretty dang consistently a middle of the ACC team. You don’t think anyone else can pilot us to better than that?

We have one national championship in… ever. If you don’t think we can do better than that in the subsequent 50 years… well, that’s kinda ironic, how the “optimist/apologist” contingent seems to hinge its perspectives solely on the fortunes of one man. This isn’t the alum tournament for a million dollars. SU basketball jerseys don’t say ”Boeheim” (uh, on the front).

Seriously, what are you gonna do if he retires at the end of the year and ‘admits’ that was always the plan? Is that it for you, because “JAB is Syracuse basketball?
I cant see him leaving after a losing season

The issue is JB has zero to do after basketball. Zero. Has no hobbies other than golf. He’s selfish with this program because no one is holding him accountable for the downturn. Would be great to get someone with some personality and charisma. Also, it’s amazing that after his tragedy with the accident, that he still treats the media and kids the way he does.

Lastly, now getting guys like Oats is not going to happen. He has a better situation and support at Bama ... the timing was set up to be perfect a couple years ago and JB just had to stay
Question for you would you be onboard with Oats? I personally don’t believe Gerry/Red are the answer. At this point I’d take Pitino in a second.

View attachment 212394Guess I’m the only one who wants him to stay ‍♂️. He’s my coach. And more importantly I don’t think there is any chance in the world we land an upgrade. Grass isn’t often greener.
Gotta have a forest fire to clear our the old and allow for new, stronger growth.
I think a whole new staff would be best, but keeping one or 2 for continuity would be okay.
This should be Julie’s call.
JB can end this putting his youngest son into the NBA . Wow!!

Bigger question is how many STHs are sitting on their
This notion that ADJW can't force this is laughable. It's just a matter of how much patience he has with the current decay rate.
It will depend on the President and the Trustees tolerances.

I cant see him leaving after a losing season
I find it difficult, as well. But, i think he will also factor in his chances at improving next year, with much less experience, and without expected impact newcomers. I have to also believe that other teams competing for transfer players will use all of this projected uncertainty against us.

Who knows what he's thinking... Maybe he has a five year plan, hoping to go out on a high note. Maybe it's a Flex Plan, where it's 'up to five years,' but he'll call it a day, early, if we have a decent NCAA tourney run in one of those five years. I have no clue. I wonder, but i've stopped guessing. Small difference, maybe, but that's where i am: expecting the worst, hoping for the best. Feels like a bit of limbo.

Question for you would you be onboard with Oats? I personally don’t believe Gerry/Red are the answer. At this point I’d take Pitino in a second.
Footy: Are you not affected by Pitinio's indiscretions while at Louisville? Do you think the Board of Trustees would be?

If we listen to JB it will set the program back even more after we have to let go of G-Mac or Red after a couple of years.
Im not arguing your point. Im just thoroughly convinced that Oats will not even be considered for the job.
Im equally convinced that either Red or Gmac will be our next coach. If and its a big IF JB retires after this season, no later than after next season. Why?
Because JW will keep it in house unless JB crashes.
Because 2 bad seasons will damage Red and Gmac to the point JW might be forced to hire an outsider.
This is actually the only reason that i think that Jim might actually retire at the end of this season.
Make no mistake JB wants Red or Gmac to follow him.
Probably GMac.
As to Oats his ship sailed after he irritated JB.
My guess is Head Coach Gmac.

Im not arguing your point. Im just thoroughly convinced that Oats will not even be considered for the job.
Im equally convinced that either Red or Gmac will be our next coach. If and its a big IF JB retires after this season, no later than after next season. Why?
Because JW will keep it in house unless JB crashes.
Because 2 bad seasons will damage Red and Gmac to the point JW might be forced to hire an outsider.
This is actually the only reason that i think that Jim might actually retire at the end of this season.
Make no mistake JB wants Red or Gmac to follow him.
Probably GMac.
As to Oats his ship sailed after he irritated JB.
My guess is Head Coach Gmac.
My guess is coach gmac too, but that said, if it turns out to be a bad hire JW may be the one looking for a job too.

If any of you are fans of the English Premier League the Boeheim descent is very similar to the Arsene Wenger era at Arsenal. Held on for about 4 years too long because he was a legend and continued to win lesser cups (FA Cups). Similar to Jim getting the team to the Sweet 16 with duct tape and super glue.

To me, the next era of Syracuse basketball will be choppy. Jim deserves a massive send off. He is Syracuse basketball. This program needs stability and he gave it for 45 plus years. that built it into a machine.

The machine needs new oil. To me a coach in his late 70s isn't going to pivot enough to put it back on the right tracks.

It doesn't seem too difficult except Jim may be obstinate to the end.

Red's Resume:

In 2006, Autry and his family moved to Northern Virginia. In Northern Virginia, Autry began his coaching career as the associate head coach at Bishop Ireton Catholic High School. In the spring of 2007, Autry became involved in the AAU circuit, by becoming the coach of the 14-Under squad with NOVA United.

During the 2007-2008 school year, Autry was named an assistant coach at Paul VI High School. In 2008, Autry switched AAU teams and became an assistant coach for the 17-Under AAU squad Team Takeover.

In the fall of 2008, Autry was hired by Virginia Tech's Head Men's Basketball coach Seth Greenberg as the Director of Basketball Operations. Autry held that position for two years and was then promoted to assistant basketball coach for the Hokies. In the spring of 2010, Autry was on his way to the University of Dayton to become the associate head coach under Archie Miller. However, he never made it there. A position with his alma mater Syracuse University became available when Rob Murphy was named the head coach at Eastern Michigan University. Autry quickly accepted the position and remains there now. Autry currently coaches and develops the forwards position.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2006–2007Bishop Ireton HS (associate HC)
2007–2008Paul VI HS (assistant)
2008–2010Virginia Tech (director of basketball ops.)
2010–2011Virginia Tech (assistant)
2011–2016Syracuse (assistant)
2016–presentSyracuse (associate HC)

GMac's resume:

On July 22, 2009, McNamara joined the basketball team's coaching staff as a graduate manager. In November 2011, McNamara was promoted to assistant coach, with a focus on development of the guards.

2009–2011Syracuse (grad mgr.)
2011–presentSyracuse (asst.)

I don't understand why everyone thinks the #2 assistant will get promoted over the more experienced #1 assistant.

Red's Resume:

In 2006, Autry and his family moved to Northern Virginia. In Northern Virginia, Autry began his coaching career as the associate head coach at Bishop Ireton Catholic High School. In the spring of 2007, Autry became involved in the AAU circuit, by becoming the coach of the 14-Under squad with NOVA United.

During the 2007-2008 school year, Autry was named an assistant coach at Paul VI High School. In 2008, Autry switched AAU teams and became an assistant coach for the 17-Under AAU squad Team Takeover.

In the fall of 2008, Autry was hired by Virginia Tech's Head Men's Basketball coach Seth Greenberg as the Director of Basketball Operations. Autry held that position for two years and was then promoted to assistant basketball coach for the Hokies. In the spring of 2010, Autry was on his way to the University of Dayton to become the associate head coach under Archie Miller. However, he never made it there. A position with his alma mater Syracuse University became available when Rob Murphy was named the head coach at Eastern Michigan University. Autry quickly accepted the position and remains there now. Autry currently coaches and develops the forwards position.

2006–2007Bishop Ireton HS (associate HC)
2007–2008Paul VI HS (assistant)
2008–2010Virginia Tech (director of basketball ops.)
2010–2011Virginia Tech (assistant)
2011–2016Syracuse (assistant)
2016–presentSyracuse (associate HC)

GMac's resume:

On July 22, 2009, McNamara joined the basketball team's coaching staff as a graduate manager. In November 2011, McNamara was promoted to assistant coach, with a focus on development of the guards.

2009–2011Syracuse (grad mgr.)
2011–presentSyracuse (asst.)

I don't understand why everyone thinks the #2 assistant will get promoted over the more experienced #1 assistant.
I don't either and if he is Wildhack will be facing some interesting questions that aren't all hoops related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom