How to beat Virginia | Syracusefan.com

How to beat Virginia

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
We need to make sure we guard Guy and Jerome at all times on the three point line. Make them uncomfortable and give them long 2’s instead of 3’s.

I assume they put Hunter at the high post. We need to make him uncomfortable. I think this is more of a Marek game than Chukwu game. Hunter is too quick for Chuwku.

We need to dump the ball screen from the start. It doesn’t work against their defensivel philosophy which includes a hard hedge and recover by their bigs. If we start out using the ball screen Battle or Howard will be forced to come off screens from 35 feet out. We are better off creating motion off the ball in this game.

We will need to hit 3’s. Virginia’s defense is built to stop you from getting inside. We will be forced into a lot of 3 point attempts. I think we need to make about 10 to win. This is a perfect game for Buddy. If he hits 3 or 4 3’s we have a great shot to win.

A lot of the above is easier said than done. Virginia is very good, but hopefully we get a raucous crowd with a spirited and well thought out effort in the last home game of the season.

Last edited:
I worry about Hoff on the inside. If we focus to much on the shooters he can have a big game. We need a good game from Chuku!

1. Deandre Hunter at the free throw line will likely be UVA's bread and butter - need to prevent the entry - chukwu might struggle with his speed. Overall, I like Hunter's chances at doing damage there for UVA - needs to be a main focus of the D. Guy and Jerome are dangerous but Hunter is the key, imo. Not sure what the answer is for him ...

2. I like the size of the SU gaurds vs the UVA gaurds - howard and battle have seen these guys a bunch and should be up for a fight. Don't let them shoot - even from 30 feet!!!

3. UVA only has 3 double digit scorers - if either/all of Hunter, Jerome, Guy struggle - would be big for the win% of SU. I feel like if a team could face-guard hunter, jerome, and guy UVA would really struggle to score.

4. Of course foul trouble is going to big - if UVA is getting away with a lot of handchecking and contact on drives to the basket it is going to be challenging for the orange. Need to stick with it and not get lured into hero ball and iso plays jacking shots with time expiring on the clock. it will be very tempting for SU to get lured into a slow-down game but that favors UVA, imo.

Ball movement will be key on offense - don't want to get dragged into UVA's slow-down game though that will hard to avoid - hopefully the team can push the ball off steals/rebounds and get some quick scores - half-court might be tough.

need to move the ball and make UVA work on defense then knock down open 3's...if the 3s are dropping it will open the inside game and SU will have a good chance of winning - but can't gameplan for how many 3s will fall...regardless moving the ball and cutting and passing a la the wake game will be a good approach...

We need to make sure we guard Guy and Jerome at all times on the three point line. Make them uncomfortable and give them long 2’s instead of 3’s.

I assume they put Hunter at the high post. We need to make him uncomfortable. I think this is more of a Marek game than Chukwu game. Hunter is too quick for Chuwku.

We need to dump the ball screen from the start. It doesn’t work against their defensivel philosophy which includes a hard hedge and recover by their bigs. If we start out using the ball screen Battle or Howard will be forced to come off screens from 35 feet out. We are better off creating motion off the ball in this game.

We will need to hit 3’s. Virginia’s defense is built to stop you from getting inside. We will be forced into a lot of 3 point attempts. I think we need to make about 10 to win. This is a perfect game for Buddy. If he hits 3 or 4 3’s we have a great shot to win.

A lot of the above is easier said than done. Virginia is very good, but hopefully we get a raucous crowd with a spirited and well thought out effort in the last home game of the season.
Hopefully Hughes can put a full game together from 3.

We saw make it hard for guy and Jerome, but they will be comfortable pulling from 28. Got a feeling we see a few of those. Hunter is also the best player on the court. He should dominate the high post.

As you said, have got to make a high percentage of any open looks we get.

Tough match up...Hunters made to destroy a zone and Guy/Jerome have unlimited range. Guys like Clark and Key scare me as well.

I think Cooney will really make his presence felt on the defensive end and I expect Malachi to have a big game because i don't think they have anyone who can hang with him. I think our best bet is to throw the full court press on them to push the tempo and get them out of their slow tempo. I really feel like this could throw them off.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I think Cooney will really make his presence felt on the defensive end and I expect Malachi to have a big game because i don't think they have anyone who can hang with him. I think our best bet is to throw the full court press on them to push the tempo and get them out of their slow tempo. I really feel like this could throw them off.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
LOL. Seems to me I've seen that movie before.

Don't forget Salt. If I remember correctly, he caused us a lot of trouble last year.

Tough match up...Hunters made to destroy a zone and Guy/Jerome have unlimited range. Guys like Clark and Key scare me as well.
Yes but they have to guard us.put five shooters and speed them up
MD/OB/EH/BB/TB

Hughes and OB need to use some physicality. The defensive boards will be huge. UVA will also massacre us if this becomes a three point shooting contest.

UVA will also massacre us if this becomes a three point shooting contest.
I look at this a bit differently. Guy and Jerome are terrific from deep. But, they are human and we need them to have off games. Contest their shots, understand going in they are likely to hit some. Beyond that, if Hunter gets 20 from the FT line, so be it.

On offense, I also think it is important to take the first good shot we get. And live with it, even if it happens to be early in the shot clock. UVa is demonic on defense, so why make the shot clock a 6th defender?

They're quite good, but we have a shot here. Better than we did on Easter of 2015 and we know how that worked out.

I look at this a bit differently. Guy and Jerome are terrific from deep. But, they are human and we need them to have off games. Contest their shots, understand going in they are likely to hit some. Beyond that, if Hunter gets 20 from the FT line, so be it.

On offense, I also think it is important to take the first good shot we get. And live with it, even if it happens to be early in the shot clock. UVa is demonic on defense, so why make the shot clock a 6th defender?

They're quite good, but we have a shot here. Better than we did on Easter of 2015 and we know how that worked out.
The way I look at it is if this is a three point contest, our shots best be falling at a high clip because UVA’s likely pulling in second chances 25% of the time on their shots.

Can't rely too much on the three. We scored 79 on Saturday w/o many 3's. Obviously Virginia is a significantly better Defense than WF, but we can't become one dimensional on Offense. We're not a good enough 3 point shooting team to do that.

Guy and Jerome have to guard us too. Tyus needs to make them pay on D and not get sucked into the cheap push off foul when they flop

Let Hunter score 40 off mid-range two's and focus on everyone else.

Obviously we won't and I'm fully prepared for Guy and Jerome to make about 20 3's combined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom