How will he be remembered? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

How will he be remembered?

JB has been the coach of SU since I moved into town in 1976 as a youngster. I cannot imagine being somewhere else. I have lived the highest Of highs and some lows that really aren’t that low when compared to most programs. I’m ready for a new chapter, but being an SU fan for the last 45 years has been a lot of fun. Most fans cannot say that.

But, maybe it puts JB into his stubborn, arrogant, and entitled phase much earlier, and our decline begins sooner. What Ifs are entertaining, but aren’t really good for much else.
Maybe. The lack of respect from pundits and fans in the earlier half of his career made him paranoid and fueled his insecurities. If he won in 87 his coaching rep would’ve taken a different trajectory and he probably wouldn’t have latched on to the zone in 96 when he finally felt vindicated. In that sense the zone became his salvation and eventual damnation.

I don't think JB is looked as fondly across the nation as a lot of people think. Fair or not they see one title in 50 years.

He'll be thought of like Lute Olson. When do you ever think of him?

Now us Syracuse fans and Big East fans will obviously see him as a legend forever.
That is an interesting comp set. Good pull.

Don't forget his Olympic coaching accomplishments in addition to what he did at CUSE and the community.
I applaud the 1st Olympic run - the second in my opinion was selfish and a misstep. Program needed the parents at home at that time.

I applaud the 1st Olympic run - the second in my opinion was selfish and a misstep. Program needed the parents at home at that time.

1st Olympic run was 2006-08. Ended in China.

2nd Olympic run was 2010-12. Ended in London.

3rd Olympic run was 2014-16. Ended in Rio.

I haven't seen anyone mention Calhoun in this thread relative to status historically, Mt. Rushmore types, etc. If I recall correctly, prior to Calhoun's bout with prostate cancer, him and JB were running relatively neck and neck in the total win column, with JC slightly ahead of JB. It's likely fair to say, that had Calhoun not step down from UConn due to apparent health reasons, he would be viewed in a higher regard than JB, if not already being the case. The total win numbers would be close amongst the two, perhaps Calhoun being ahead by a comfortable margin at this point, who knows. Where Calhoun clearly trumps JB IMO is his 3 national titles to JB's 1, and had he stayed, perhaps 4 to 1 as Ollie was the benefactor of those players that were Calhoun's when the Huskies won their 4th NC.

JB is SU basketball. How do real fans like one and not the other. You can't be all in. What's the sense of it.
I don’t understand this at all.
I love my parents. I can still acknowledge and discuss that they weren’t perfect.
I love this country. Criticizing it from within is an important part of maintaining, developing, evolving it.
If JB is SU and vice versa, then I guess you’ll just have to abandon SU when he retires, right?

What the hell does “all in” mean? There is nothing in this world for which I’d be “all in.” That means no thinking, no evaluating, no recognition of change—just blind, eternal allegiance.

I haven't seen anyone mention Calhoun in this thread relative to status historically, Mt. Rushmore types, etc. If I recall correctly, prior to Calhoun's bout with prostate cancer, him and JB were running relatively neck and neck in the total win column, with JC slightly ahead of JB. It's likely fair to say, that had Calhoun not step down from UConn due to apparent health reasons, he would be viewed in a higher regard than JB, if not already being the case. The total win numbers would be close amongst the two, perhaps Calhoun being ahead by a comfortable margin at this point, who knows. Where Calhoun clearly trumps JB IMO is his 3 national titles to JB's 1, and had he stayed, perhaps 4 to 1 as Ollie was the benefactor of those players that were Calhoun's when the Huskies won their 4th NC.

Calhouns viewed as a better coach in general by a wide margin

Calhouns viewed as a better coach in general by a wide margin
I think JB is better than Calhoun. Calhoun has had a bunch of under .500 seasons. He had a great career as well.

Calhoun’s championship game opponents
1999 # 1 seed Duke probably the most impressive win between JB and JC.
2004 #3 seed Georgia Tech
2011 #8 seed Butler

Jim Boeheim’s championship game opponents
1987 #1 seed Indiana
1996 #1 seed Kentucky
2003 # 2 seed Kansas

We faced 3 blue bloods. They have faced Duke and two very beatable teams.

I hate how 87 hurts JB’s alltime legacy.

I think JB is better than Calhoun. Calhoun has had a bunch of under .500 seasons. He had a great career as well.

2011 #8 seed Butler

1987 #1 seed Indiana
1996 #1 seed Kentucky
2003 # 2 seed Kansas

I don't think who you played in the Championship game matters one whit. If that's a factor, don't you also have to weigh the seeds of all the other games? If you made your FF run because higher seeds wewre upset before you reached them? Where does that end? If you're good enough to make it to the final, that's how good you are, and you were better at that time than the blue bloods you left in your wake. Plus, if you won those games against non-blue bloods, that doesn't mean you wouldn't have won against teams with 'better reputations.' You can't take that away from them.

I don't think who you played in the Championship game matters one whit. If that's a factor, don't you also have to weigh the seeds of all the other games? If you made your FF run because higher seeds wewre upset before you reached them? Where does that end? If you're good enough to make it to the final, that's how good you are, and you were better at that time than the blue bloods you left in your wake. Plus, if you won those games against non-blue bloods, that doesn't mean you wouldn't have won against teams with 'better reputations.' You can't take that away from them.
Luck matters.

The tournament is luck.
Calhoun and Boeheim have been 1 and 2 seeds a lot in their careers.

When you break thru to the Final Four who you play in the end matters a lot.

96 Syracuse faced one of the best college teams the last 30 years in 96 Kentucky.
If they faced 95 UCLA or 97 Kentucky it’s a better chance to win.

UConn has 4 titles they have beaten one 1 seed, one 3 seed and two 8 seeds in the NC game.

That luck matters.

2011 #8 seed Butler

1987 #1 seed Indiana
1996 #1 seed Kentucky
2003 # 2 seed Kansas

Yup...amazing what a missed free throw , “forged paper” , acl tear and a tough draw will do compared to kemba hero ball, shabazz hero ball, and butler/ ga tech...

I don't know. If we had won in 87, maybe that means we get a few different players. Maybe we have an additional NC. Or 2. Maybe we don’t get Carmelo because we already have a decent forward at that spot, so we don’t get 2003.

But, maybe it puts JB into his stubborn, arrogant, and entitled phase much earlier, and our decline begins sooner. What Ifs are entertaining, but aren’t really good for much else.
Is there such a thing as “sports quantum science fiction?”

Jb is better than Fisher and Williams. Fisher couldn't win a title with the Fab 5. Williams only went to two Final fours and had some bad years. I hate to say it but if dc knocks down those fts jbs looked at as an all time great. He'd have as many titles as knight and Smith.
JB is thisclose to 2 with the 1987 heartbreaker. And not far from 3 with the great would-have-been in 2010 if AO doesn’t get injured in the BE tourney. Smith, though, racked up Final Fours. He dwarfs JB in that metric. But Carolina is in a different stratosphere overall.

i'd like to see a bronze statue of JB sitting behind a mic and giving the finger to prospective broadcast journalist students as they enter and exit the NEWHOUSE SCHOOL every day .

How do you think Boeheim will be remembered once he finally steps down or is forced to step down?

I never would have thought it, but I believe his is tarnishing his legacy.

He's not tarnishing his legacy. That's the hyperbole of a frustrated fan base.

JB is one of the top 10, all-time greatest coaches in college basketball history.

It's a great legacy.

JB is thisclose to 2 with the 1987 heartbreaker. And not far from 3 with the great would-have-been in 2010 if AO doesn’t get injured in the BE tourney. Smith, though, racked up Final Fours. He dwarfs JB in that metric. But Carolina is in a different stratosphere overall.
100 pct if smarts shot misses jb has two as would knight. How would the two be viewed if that happens. And jb didn't abuse players.

Luck matters.

The tournament is luck.
Calhoun and Boeheim have been 1 and 2 seeds a lot in their careers.

When you break thru to the Final Four who you play in the end matters a lot.

96 Syracuse faced one of the best college teams the last 30 years in 96 Kentucky.
If they faced 95 UCLA or 97 Kentucky it’s a better chance to win.

UConn has 4 titles they have beaten one 1 seed, one 3 seed and two 8 seeds in the NC game.

That luck matters.
We're talking about two different things. Of course "luck" matters as it affects your chances of winning a tournament. But, we've had "luck" on our side during tournament runs, where a difficult opponent lost before we had to face them. No one deducts that against our achievement of reaching a FF or Championship game.

My point is this: It doesn't matter if Calhoun had to 'only' beat a #3 seed to win the final. You aren't considering the rest of the road. You aren't considering that that #3 was playing well enough during that 2 week run to beat the supposedly 'better' team along the way. And if you deduct points from UConn's run because of 'lesser opponents,' then you have to do the same for us—you can't just consider the final game. And if you're deducting points for 'lesser' opponents in a championship final, you have to deduct them from regular season accomplishments, too. Syracuse is "Cupcake City," remember? But, the JB fans like to cherrypick, ignore, rationalize... when it comes to accomplishments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom