Howard returning from surgery | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Howard returning from surgery

Li
Somebody will bring up this video when this move gets done in a game. Lord i hope he makes the shot cause if he travels JB is taking him out lol.
so if he travels but makes a shot that doesn't count he stays in, but if he misses a shot that doesn't count he comes out? #confused

Ha. I noticed the same thing. In a bunch of shots throughout these clips, he takes a weird extra shuffle.
It's not a travel. It's a move that's becoming popular--mostly because of James Harden. Essentially, he does a step back move but keeps his dribble, but instead of shooting like defenders would expect after a "step back", he does an additional side-step while gathering and shooting. It always looks weird, but that's why it works.

Yeah, he's not some star or known commodity in college. I don't think that move is going to work on the refs. We'll see.

What Harden does is in the NBA, it looks fluid, isn't always a travel and Harden is already a good shooter.

What Frank was doing was a travel that would be called in college. Howard needs an in-between shot when driving but he'd be better off with a regular pull up or a floater.

In that first clip his shots from 3 looked very easy and relaxed. A little flat and not shot with lift like you would in a game but they looked easy for him.

Last edited:
Howard will be a 15-20 mpg guy max.
This is way off. Way way off. Barring injury he is not coming out much. He is our only PG who will see minutes. He is pass first and he is going to be our best defender up top. People are greatly understating the injury he had last yr. He couldn't move. I am sure people are sick of hearing me tout FH and the staff's love for him, but it's a fact.

I would wager that if you gave JB truth serum he would tell u he expects FH to be our 2nd or 3rd best player this year. Kid is going to be our every game starter at PG. And fans need to embrace it. New Year, New outlook.

Last edited:
This is way off. Way way off. Barring injury he is not coming out much. He is our only PG who will see minutes. He is pass first and he is going to be our best defender up top. People are greatly understating the injury he had last yr. He couldn't move. I am sure people are sick of hearing me tout FH and the staff's love for him, but it's a fact.

I would wager that if you gave JB truth serum he would tell u he expects FH to be our 2nd or 3rd best player this year. Kid is going to be our every game starter at PG. And fans need to embrace it. New Year, New outlook.

Proclaiming this as some certainty is pretty foolish, frankly. NOBODY knows how he will play. Not you not anybody. I sure hope he plays well because the more the merrier in terms of bodies out there, ballhandlers, etc. IMO, he still needs to improve quite a bit to sniff starter's minutes. I don't think the injury was making him pick up his dribble at near halfcourt even against the slightest pressure, turn it over, etc. I don't wish the kid ill will but nobody knows anything until how practices and the games go. He has a leg up by default I think since he has been around the longest and since Geno is supposedly arriving not until Sept. Everything could change, obviously.

Proclaiming this as some certainty is pretty foolish, frankly. NOBODY knows how he will play. Not you not anybody. I sure hope he plays well because the more the merrier in terms of bodies out there, ballhandlers, etc. IMO, he still needs to improve quite a bit to sniff starter's minutes. I don't think the injury was making him pick up his dribble at near halfcourt even against the slightest pressure, turn it over, etc. I don't wish the kid ill will but nobody knows anything until how practices and the games go. He has a leg up by default I think since he has been around the longest and since Geno is supposedly arriving not until Sept. Everything could change, obviously.
Nothing certain obviously. Just going by what the staff believes going in to things. FH will play 25 and Battle 35 or more. Still leaves close to 20 for Geno off the bench as our 6th man.
Geno and Moyer are going to he a fantastic 6 and 7 man. Could substitute Moyers name for OB or Marek also.

Solid 7.

Nothing certain obviously. Just going by what the staff believes going in to things.

Not to stir the pot, but FWIW, I recall LOTS of praise coming from JB last September-ish about how incredible last season's roster was. It wasn't until that team got past the early season cupcakes that we realized just how off he was.

That's quite a leap of faith, seeing as he was a sieve last year.

Yet, he was still the best of the three most of the time. I was supremely disappointed in Battle last year. I thought he would be a shot blocking machine like Dion was at times. And Gillon, well, I'll just stop myself there - we've been over that before...

Yet, he was still the best of the three most of the time. I was supremely disappointed in Battle last year. I thought he would be a shot blocking machine like Dion was at times. And Gillon, well, I'll just stop myself there - we've been over that before...

Battle was a decent defender but not as good as I thought he'd be. Way too many lapses. I'm optimistic he will be much better this year, now that he knows this system. I expect him to up the aggression, in particular. He was outstanding in high school. I don't agree with you that FH was a better defender than Tyus.

The school and or the local media seems to be working hard on re-establishing Frank's reputation as a player and a teammate. Since we know the reporters read this site I think a question about ways he has matured on and off the court might have been worthwhile. I liked Frank's game in limited minutes. For me the jury is still out on his effectiveness when or if his minutes increase.

I was supremely disappointed in Battle last year. I thought he would be a shot blocking machine like Dion was at times.

WUT?? :crazy:

Dion had 4 & 12 blocks TOTAL in his 2 seasons in Orange.
Tyus has 8 last year.

SG's generally don't get many blocks, period.

Did you mean steals?
Dion had 38 & 67.
Tyus has 44.

Dion may have been better at being a more opportunistic defender -
he was great at lulling a guard to sleep, making him think the easy swing pass was wide open, then jetting out for the steal, and rumbling down court for the power jam.

Let's see how Tyus does as a Soph, before we start comparing them.

Dion was fairly meh for most of his Frosh year, but got hot towards the end and in the NCAA's.
Battle was dinged up and then sick for a chunk of his Frosh year, but then got hot towards the end of the season.

WUT?? :crazy:

Dion had 4 & 12 blocks TOTAL in his 2 seasons in Orange.
Tyus has 8 last year.

SG's generally don't get many blocks, period.

Did you mean steals?
Dion had 38 & 67.
Tyus has 44.

Dion may have been better at being a more opportunistic defender -
he was great at lulling a guard to sleep, making him think the easy swing pass was wide open, then jetting out for the steal, and rumbling down court for the power jam.

Let's see how Tyus does as a Soph, before we start comparing them.

Dion was fairly meh for most of his Frosh year, but got hot towards the end and in the NCAA's.
Battle was dinged up and then sick for a chunk of his Frosh year, but then got hot towards the end of the season.

Tyus last year and Dion in his second year probably had equivalent minutes per game. I'm not going to look it up, but it makes sense to me. Dion was far better. Now much of that can likely be attributed to Dion being in the system an extra year learning the zone.

I don't know man, I'm telling you how it seemed to me more than anything. Tyus let guards drive too easily, and he didn't have as many "clutch" blocks as I seem to remember Dion having either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom