Howard Washington | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

I think a big culprit was JG. He was so easy to pass over. I'd go as far as to call him a liability on defense. No matter who is paired with Battle should be a defensive upgrade.
Interior D was horrible too... I ran into Zach LeDay when he was working out for the Clippers a couple of weeks ago, he said Zone down low was really bad this year. And he has seen JB's good zones at VT and South Florida...

Interior D was horrible too... I ran into Zach LeDay when he was working out for the Clippers a couple of weeks ago, he said Zone down low was really bad this year. And he has seen JB's good zones at VT and South Florida...

Of course it was. I was responding to a post about forcing turnovers. That was mostly a problem with the guards. Heck, even AW3 was among the league leaders in steals, despite being a poor zone defender down low.

For the record, since this is a Howard Washington thread, I'm not sure he will be much more than average defensively. I do expect a great effort from him, so that is a plus.

Of course it was. I was responding to a post about forcing turnovers. That was mostly a problem with the guards. Heck, even AW3 was among the league leaders in steals, despite being a poor zone defender down low.

For the record, since this is a Howard Washington thread, I'm not sure he will be much more than average defensively. I do expect a great effort from him, so that is a plus.
I think it would be an improvement, just with his size and if he can keep his hands up and active.

Washington might be an improvement on defense but I just don’t see him as meaningful contributor until his quickness and speed really improve. I think he can get there, but it will take a year or two.

Washington might be an improvement on defense but I just don’t see him as meaningful contributor until his quickness and speed really improve. I think he can get there, but it will take a year or two.
His coach compares him to Ennis. Not the fastest guy on the court but very good with what speed and quickness he does have. Very high court awareness and bball iq. Has a great shot from outside.

It may take him some time just to gain Boeheims trust. But I think he could contribute sooner than later.

His coach compares him to Ennis. Not the fastest guy on the court but very good with what speed and quickness he does have. Very high court awareness and bball iq. Has a great shot from outside.

It may take him some time just to gain Boeheims trust. But I think he could contribute sooner than later.
I agree with this assessment 100 percent. You don't play point on a team With Ben Simmons and then top Canadian Brissett by being mediocre. He gets teammates involved and has high court IQ

I'm in the minority here but I think this guys going to be much more important for us right away then people think. Has legitimate point guard skills and can shoot the 3 ball...short clip from his IG of him assisted by Devo. Maybe the staff feels more comfortable with our pg situation going forward then most of us do because of watching what this kid brings to the table? A healthy Frank Howard will hopefully make big improvements this year and then throw in geno thorpe and tyus at the 2 and we are looking pretty good! Back to HW, I think he's going to be the guy that we are all very thankful to have landed!

Im hoping he redshirts because that would mean the staff feels like we have enough shooting, and faith in Frank, to get us through the season without Washington's contributions.

I'm in the minority here but I think this guys going to be much more important for us right away then people think. Has legitimate point guard skills and can shoot the 3 ball...short clip from his IG of him assisted by Devo. Maybe the staff feels more comfortable with our pg situation going forward then most of us do because of watching what this kid brings to the table? A healthy Frank Howard will hopefully make big improvements this year and then throw in geno thorpe and tyus at the 2 and we are looking pretty good! Back to HW, I think he's going to be the guy that we are all very thankful to have landed!
I agree with you. I'm very optimistic that he is a big get under the radar

Washington can shoot, its one of his strength.

I agree, thats why I think if they redshirted him the staff would feel happy with the shooting ability of Thorpe/Howard/Battle at the guard position. I think a redshirt would be a "reading the tea leaves" positive sign for the season going forward.

I agree, thats why I think if they redshirted him the staff would feel happy with the shooting ability of Thorpe/Howard/Battle at the guard position. I think a redshirt would be a "reading the tea leaves" positive sign for the season going forward.
I don't get it. We are still short on scholarships. Have a player sitting out already yet people still want to redshirt kids? :bang:

Well i said if the staff feels good about the 3 guard rotation of Battle Thorpe and Howard. If the staff is not happy with the rotation tgen dobt redshirt him. But why waste a year of eligibility on someone whos going to get 2 mins a game if their lucky? Kid could use the extra year

29 points and 8 3s in Uticas king of kings basketball league. Lot of people sleeping on this kid I think!

I think most here like the kid a lot. But, I hear you, as many think he won't be ready for a couple years. I've been in the camp that he can contribute day 1.

Also why I'm not too concerned about the PG spot. We definitely do need to add one because who knows about Frank, and he will be a Senior (if here) with just HW at this point. But, HW is the future, and could play off the ball with his ability to shoot. Hopefully next to Carey, if necessary. We are loaded for the future. A PG, and a big in 2018, then all is well. More than well.

I'm not sure casual fans realize how well HW shoots the ball, and how well he can run an offense. He will surprise some, but around here I think that people see we got a steal. Who also bleeds Orange.

Think Howard would flourish with a 2G like Tyus, not saying he will get that opportunity this year but I guy like Tyus who can break down his defender off the dribble in a half court set would play well with a spot up shooter like HW. For this fact alone he may see a bit more floor time than we think if we want to spread the floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom