Howard Washington | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Wasn't he kind of wandering by himself after the championship? While everyone else was piling on the floor in jubilation, McNeil looked lost and sad. If I remember correctly. Poor young guy had been through a lot that year.
He had lost his mother during the season unfortunately. I think he said that it was tough to celebrate knowing that he didn't have her to share that moment with.

Wasn't he kind of wandering by himself after the championship? While everyone else was piling on the floor in jubilation, McNeil looked lost and sad. If I remember correctly. Poor young guy had been through a lot that year.

I remember for senior day, he didn't have any family due to what happened to his mom [tragically], so the whole team went out there with him when it was his turn. It was very touching.

I think the aftermath of winning the NC was a lot like that--I think he WAS sad because he was reflecting on not having his mom to share the moment with.

McNeil was an odd cat -- he loved racing RV cars more than basketball. We wouldn't have won in 2003 without him anchoring our press. I'll always be grateful for that, even if he never developed into the player his physical tools suggest he might have been.

McNeil was awesome. He was the only dude outside of the walk ons that actually came to Flanagan gym and balled with the rest of us common folk.
Gorman during his RS 2004-2005 would ball common students at Archibold.
I remember having a recitation history class with Gorman and he came to the gym with us after class in early September and balled.

I remember having a recitation history class with Gorman and he came to the gym with us after class in early September and balled.

That's awesome!

Dating myself a bit here, but when I was in high school, I used to sneak into Archibold Gymnasium to hoop with against older players. Ended up squaring off against some SU players every once in awhile. One time, a group of HS teammates and I kicked the snot out of a team that Joel Katz [walk on] was on--he was really pissy about it during the game, calling fouls every possession, etc. Whiner. About two games later, Sherman Douglas and Stephen Thompson had next. I got guarded by Stevie, which was unbelievable--kid could really defend. He dunked about 10 times during the game. I'm usually not a fan of getting dunked on, but that was pretty cool for a 10th grader.

Last edited:
Would never pick up McNeil in half court for fear of catching a sledgehammer of an elbow and having to sip food through a straw for a year.

He got pissed at 1 of my buddies for not passing him the ball on 1 possession. Screamed "pass me the damn ball Corey Matthews!"

for reference on who Corey Matthews is:
6729294dad3b3216cae.

I played in a pick up game against McNeil in Archbold. My friend, who's nickname was literally "Big Man" (6'5, 265 or so), was guarding him. First play, the team feeds McNeil in the post, he does a couple of backdown dribbles and goes straight up and 2 hand crams it on my friend... it was both magnificent and hilarious

I will refrain from commenting so I don't get put on the mods naughty list. :rolleyes:

I will refrain from commenting so I don't get put on the mods naughty list. :rolleyes:
You don't think Matt Gorman would play with students during his RS year?
I had a recitation class Fall 2004 with the guy on Tuesday afternoons in the HOL for History 111. European History.
Main class was M-W. Numerous athletes were in this class it was large.
I bet numerous people on this board took this class.
He would play basketball after recitation with some of the class at Archibold. The recitation was like 15-20 kids.
I remember Gorman on election day 2004 not giving an crap with the TA asked if he planned on voting.
The guy was clearly better than the regular students he played with but it wasn't like he was miles better.
Nothing I said would get you banned. If I made a typo above oh well I am writing on my phone.

You don't think Matt Gorman would play with students during his RS year?
I had a recitation class Fall 2004 with the guy on Tuesday afternoons in the HOL for History 111. European History.
Main class was M-W. Numerous athletes were in this class it was large.
I bet numerous people on this board took this class.
He would play basketball after recitation with some of the class at Archibold. The recitation was like 15-20 kids.
I remember Gorman on election day 2004 not giving an crap with the TA asked if he planned on voting.
The guy was clearly better than the regular students he played with but it wasn't like he was miles better.
Nothing I said would get you banned. If I made a typo above oh well I am writing on my phone.

Nevermind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom