Howard Washington | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Awesome! Now, please, oh, please don't let this turn into Kaleb Joseph v2.

It won't.

Edit: I'm no insider so I can't say how much interest we've shown in Waters, but while I'm very happy to have Howard on board, he's not the type of prospect that you land and feel like you're done at the position.

Can't say I would disagree w any of what you said. I'm still waiting to see what moves if any Hop and staff make once GTown releases him. We do need to continue looking for an excellent point guard who can do his thing while Battle can do his thing at the 2.

Awesome! Now, please, oh, please don't let this turn into Kaleb Joseph v2.
I agree but it was a totally different situation for KJ. He came in after a shocking Ennis defection. A lot of weight put on his shoulders. I don't think this kid will have that kind of pressure or expectations on him coming in here.

Welcome to Syracuse. What kind of player are we getting?

Francis and Iommi BOTH provided detailed evaluations of his game earlier in the thread. Kid sounds like a quality prospect--you don't paly for Monteverde Academy without being a solid D1 prospect.

HW sounds like a kid who might not be an immediate starter, but one who might have starting potential down the road. Decent shooter. True lead guard who has played the position [as opposed to a combo guard that we'll have to convert to being a point]. He's been getting a lot of triple doubles lately. Good size for the zone. He might not have a super high ceiling, but neither did Scoop. If he's a comparable prospect, we'll be happy.

Most of all, Washington is a guy who will be a four year player, who will help provide quality backcourt depth whether he starts or comes off of the bench. I'm not suggesting his game is the same, but I've thought about him like as being akin to Greg Monroe -- a quality backup who might start later in his career. Sign me up.

Anyone know if/how this could effect our potential recruitment of Waters?

If there is mutual interest, it shouldn't. It's never a bad thing to have two PGs who are both capable of running an offense.

With that said, Washington should be a nice building block for the next three to four years of Syracuse basketball.

I think this is good. We need depth. We had an unused scholarship this year. Who is to say we will even get a 5th year guy to commit taking this kid for program depth is a no doubt about it.
Agree that teams need depth but recent history shows that players who aren't utilized seem to get the itch to transfer before they get a chance to play. The coaches need to decide what they want to be.

The decent schools on his list w offers were: BC, Butler, Dayton, GW, Maryland, Miami, Ohio St, Virginia, Va Tech, Wake Forest.
Well .. people were freaking out the other day because supposedly his only offers were like Canisuis, Tulane and Butler. But the rumor was P5 schools were starting to kick the tires and that's why we ramped it up. This offer list is a lot more impressive

I am ecstatic about this. It's always good when you can add a program point guard. He may not contribute next year or the next two, but I can bet in a few years a lot of people will be surprised about how he was perceived coming in. I bet he develops into a very good 4 year player.

With that said, let's get Ayala and Waters and then the season outlook for next year looks totally different.

but recent history shows that players who aren't utilized seem to get the itch to transfer
I wouldn't put too much stock into the why's of recent transfers. The roster has been in flux, certainly, but I don't think it pertains to any other significant trend.

Also, we had only 8 players on scholarship for next year, and that includes Lydon, Battle and Howard.

TT
Moyer
Chukwu

Lydon
Battle
Howard

Brissett
Sidibe

Howard Washington

Still plenty of room for Waters and grad transfers.
but we also have scholarship reductions, so unless/until someone else leaves, then there are only 2 slots left. Need another guard and a SF.

Drop Waters and/or Ayala and Egor to the mix and suddenly, after months of hand wringing, we are looking at a top 20 recruiting class.

Last edited:
Washington gives us depth. Very likely a 4 year guy.

My kingdom for a pg Whos been the program for 4 years at some point.
Agreed, I'm excited that we got him for that very reason. Program guys are so undervalued these days. Villanova is reaping the benefits of experienced guards and did last year as well.

Washington gives us depth. Very likely a 4 year guy.

My kingdom for a pg Whos been the program for 4 years at some point.
Who was our last 4yr PG? Scoop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom