Hungry Chucks is back | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hungry Chucks is back

Correct me if I’m wrong, as I have no doubt you will, but Hungry Chuck’s was not Hungry Charley’s. Everyone called Hungry Charley’s, “Chuck’s”, but Hungry Chuck’s was opened after “Chuck’s” closed and tried to recapture the magic, so to speak of the original place. When I think of Chuck’s I think of the bar that was above (or was it below?) Sutter’s. Am I wrong, old, or both?
It was originally Hungry Charley's (basement). I went in the early 80s and that is what it was called though many people would refer to it as "Chuck's". When it "moved" to where Sutter's was, they changed the name but kept the furniture and "art work".

It was originally Hungry Charley's (basement). I went in the early 80s and that is what it was called though many people would refer to it as "Chuck's". When it "moved" to where Sutter's was, they changed the name but kept the furniture and "art work".
Ah, thank you. That coincides with my beer addled recollections.

AD-hungry-charleys-button_busy_beaver_button_museum.png

Last edited:
It may be my least favorite bar in syracuse if im being honest.

Can someone explain to me why one would donate to a private enterprise to stay in business? Why doesn't the Chuck guy sell a portion of business, all of it, etc to someone else.

Can you transfer the liquor license in Syracuse to someone with a few bucks to keep it around.

FWIW, that's fake Chucks IMO. I'm a fan of the downstairs Chucks below Sutters.

god that’s embarrassing. I understand biz plans fail…. But like this isn’t a situation where a fire occurred etc etc “act of god” type situation. It sounds like they were extremely over leveraged and now the public is expected to foot the bill? SMH…

Can someone explain to me why one would donate to a private enterprise to stay in business? Why doesn't the Chuck guy sell a portion of business, all of it, etc to someone else.

Can you transfer the liquor license in Syracuse to someone with a few bucks to keep it around.

FWIW, that's fake Chucks IMO. I'm a fan of the downstairs Chucks below Sutters.

100% this. As an alum, I would donate it I was saving this.

Problem they are gonna find is, old schools don't care about this new place, and kids don't have any nostalgia to the history of the brand.

The new one is not chucks. Buh bye
I don't believe this to be the case here. Five years is a long time for a bar on campus to not be open. Virtually an eternity when looked at from that POV. You lost an entire class of customers. It has no reputation to build on with newer students.

As syrBossHogg mentioned, ride sharing has to be a big factor here. When I was in school, if you didn't have a car, you weren't going anywhere. Uber/Lyft has changed the game for Marshall Street. Armory Square is a few dollars away and offers more variety from a drinking and dining experience.

I don't believe this to be the case here. Five years is a long time for a bar on campus to not be open. Virtually an eternity when looked at from that POV. You lost an entire class of customers. It has no reputation to build on with newer students.

As syrBossHogg mentioned, ride sharing has to be a big factor here. When I was in school, if you didn't have a car, you weren't going anywhere. Uber/Lyft has changed the game for Marshall Street. Armory Square is a few dollars away and offers more variety from a drinking and dining experience.

True. And beyond that, Let's be real. Pre- Operation Prevent in the early 2000s, Chuck's in particular, was widely known as a place in which it was ridiculously easy to drink underage. Easier than the other M Street bars, and WAY easier than Armory. That was a big part of its popularity

True. And beyond that, Let's be real. Pre- Operation Prevent in the early 2000s, Chuck's in particular, was widely known as a place in which it was ridiculously easy to drink underage. Easier than the other M Street bars, and WAY easier than Armory. That was a big part of its popularity
That was Maggie's when I was around.

Chuck’s was regularly busy until it closed. Downtown is not the issue. He is marketing to people who have long graduated and the food is worse than ever.

Chuck’s was regularly busy until it closed. Downtown is not the issue. He is marketing to people who have long graduated and the food is worse than ever.

I'm just saying if 19 year olds could huddle around a dark table in a basement and down 3 pitchers of beer, food wouldnt matter. :D

Not endorsing this just saying you gotta pick a lane and be good at it.

Side note, last time I went to Chuck's I was in my mid 20s back for a game and some punk called me grandpa. I realized quickly I outgrew it.

I'm just saying if 19 year olds could huddle around a dark table in a basement and down 3 pitchers of beer, food wouldnt matter. :D

Not endorsing this just saying you gotta pick a lane and be good at it.

Side note, last time I went to Chuck's I was in my mid 20s back for a game and some punk called me grandpa. I realized quickly I outgrew it.
I have a friend who helped him re-open. He was warned that he rushed the opening and was not targeting the right clientele. I am not surprised at all this happened.

Orange Crate is the place to be on the hill for kids these days.