Hungry Chucks is back | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Hungry Chucks is back

Can someone explain to me why one would donate to a private enterprise to stay in business? Why doesn't the Chuck guy sell a portion of business, all of it, etc to someone else.

Can you transfer the liquor license in Syracuse to someone with a few bucks to keep it around.

FWIW, that's fake Chucks IMO. I'm a fan of the downstairs Chucks below Sutters.
How I feel about NIL.

It looks like they reopened a bar while still not having nearly enough money to run a bar. Its bare bones, overpriced and kind of just a hole.

Yeah, we went there the night before the last Dome hoops game this year, and I couldn’t stand it.
Just standing around, in what feels like a small abandoned warehouse.

It’s dark, dirty, grungy, and has zero character or appeal like the original Chuck’s (basement under Sutter’s) did.

I'm just saying if 19 year olds could huddle around a dark table in a basement and down 3 pitchers of beer, food wouldnt matter. :D

Not endorsing this just saying you gotta pick a lane and be good at it.

Side note, last time I went to Chuck's I was in my mid 20s back for a game and some punk called me grandpa. I realized quickly I outgrew it.
When I was a student in the 80s it was definitely the place to go for cheap beer and for underage drinking. My roommate went there so much they let him throw a little party on his birthday and gave him a semi-private space for it. He was 18

agree with other comments. the space and design sucked. it's quite possibly the worst designed bar in the history of bars. no character and just poorly laid out. When I was there, the bartender had told me they had hopes of expanding into the spot next door and building a true center bar. but clearly that didn't materialize.

the space is lousy -- the brand/concept can work but you can't just do the bare minimum to an old chinese restaurant and expect it to be a fun bar.

The vibe of the old HC’s has no appeal to today’s generation of students. It just doesn’t. It was great in its day, a dingy, beer-soaked dive, buried in a basement with an endless loop of Grateful Dead, cheap beer and cheddar fries. That was then. Now, not so much…

Bring back 44's
Bring back Archies (just for the shadiness)
Bring back Zopies Coffee Shop (no idea if it's gone)

If the metaverse becomes a real thing, direct me to the M Street from the early/mid 90s

I don't believe this to be the case here. Five years is a long time for a bar on campus to not be open. Virtually an eternity when looked at from that POV. You lost an entire class of customers. It has no reputation to build on with newer students.

As syrBossHogg mentioned, ride sharing has to be a big factor here. When I was in school, if you didn't have a car, you weren't going anywhere. Uber/Lyft has changed the game for Marshall Street. Armory Square is a few dollars away and offers more variety from a drinking and dining experience.

I'm told that the bar crowd is way down post-pandemic - kids just drink in their basements. And charge as if it's a private event.

To the extent that kids to still go to bars, yeah - ride-hailing further hurt the places near campus as well.

Nope, let that place go under. If you need a go fund me to stay in business you probably shouldn’t be in business in the first place
Agree, don't want to be crass but instead of looking for a hand out or bail out, do something to attract paying customers. Not buying his excuse of a Covid hangover, the restaurant and bar business is back in full force everywhere I've been.

I would need Chuck's to have a space like the original for me to get excited about it. It was a hole but the music was good and I had a lot of hilarious times there - all 4 years. Chucks -> Faegan's was a nice progression back in the day. I think he would do better trying to sell shares so nostalgic alumni would actually be silent partners/owners a la the GB Packers.

Can someone explain to me why one would donate to a private enterprise to stay in business? Why doesn't the Chuck guy sell a portion of business, all of it, etc to someone else.

Can you transfer the liquor license in Syracuse to someone with a few bucks to keep it around.

FWIW, that's fake Chucks IMO. I'm a fan of the downstairs Chucks below Sutters.
Exactly.

I have a friend who helped him re-open. He was warned that he rushed the opening and was not targeting the right clientele. I am not surprised at all this happened.

Orange Crate is the place to be on the hill for kids these days.

I went to Orange Crate before the Duke game in 2019, it was pretty solid. Having the back patio area with a TV was nice

Chuck’s to my knowledge wasn’t open when I was in school (1999-03). Konrad’s/44’s was the underage bar. Faegan’s, Darwin’s, Maggie’s were the other staples.

Chuck’s to my knowledge wasn’t open when I was in school (1999-03). Konrad’s/44’s was the underage bar. Faegan’s, Darwin’s, Maggie’s were the other staples.
Chuck's was open when I graduated in 1999. Did did it close shortly after?

I got straight up angry as I walked into the new Chucks

And I love bars

I don't believe this to be the case here. Five years is a long time for a bar on campus to not be open. Virtually an eternity when looked at from that POV. You lost an entire class of customers. It has no reputation to build on with newer students.

As syrBossHogg mentioned, ride sharing has to be a big factor here. When I was in school, if you didn't have a car, you weren't going anywhere. Uber/Lyft has changed the game for Marshall Street. Armory Square is a few dollars away and offers more variety from a drinking and dining experience.
Yeah. Syracuse is a perfect city for Uber too. Getting ripped off by cabs when I was a student kept me close to campus but 3-4 people can go anywhere for under 10 bucks why not use that.