Hunter Dickinson | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Hunter Dickinson

If that's the business model, then the program is content with mediocrity and will never win a NC or be a Top 3 seed again. Syracuse needs to be competitive for top players, which means being competitive with top programs on the NIL. Syracuse also cannot make a habit of losing its top players to the portal. That's a death knell on the program. There's some great pickups from the mid-majors, and it's good for role players, but if Syracuse doesn't even try for NBA-caliber players, what are we even doing here?

Obviously lots of competition and factors but beyond Straughn I like the fact that our staff, even if as assistants has relevant experience with a big man that plays both outside and inside and with a lot of pnr. With Lydon and Marek you have hybrid 5s with mixed roles. Then Jesse being a more of a low post, pnr and running big. Self at Kansas uses his 5 men almost exclusively as more traditional big men. Not pick and pop really much at all.

Willard at MD similar and then there is the whole rebuild thing with Cooley. This may not matter to HD.. hard to say but between Straughn, Newhouse, our current staff and their experience with coaching different types of big men we have to be a decent player.

C'mon man, hate to see you give up college sports. The Georgetown area is about as nice an area as there is on the Atlantic Seaboard, academically we can't touch them with a howitzer, and their new coach is a proven commodity.
I can probably count the games I’ve missed on one hand the past 15-20 or more years, but the current landscape (which I don’t even disagree with) just makes it very very difficult to watch.

I know Georgetown has some things we can’t compete with, but they can’t compete with us on quite a bit.

This is just fantasy land, but there is literally nothing stopping AW saying FU to SU and opening that wallet for another local school. Dude is so rich, he could offer 10 mil a year and field an amazing team at Binghamton, Buffalo, etc etc, out of spite. He won’t (I hope) do this but he can, I’m admittedly not the most mature guy, out of spite I’d blow 10 mil a year for a decade if I had AWs stack out of spite alone.

The Georgetown area is about as nice an area as there is on the Atlantic Seaboard, academically we can't touch them with a howitzer, and their new coach is a proven commodity.
Meh. I got mugged with my buddy visiting Gtown while attending Syracuse. Now, to be fair, we strayed a bit from the beaten path in search of some weed after a long night out at the bars.

If Tshiebwe really made 2.75M last year then Jesse must be thinking he should be valued at least half of that amount. Problem is there is no way SU can or would provide Jesse with 1.375M in NIL deals. The program should create a position where the job's main purpose is to scout players, mainly from mid-majors in anticipation of our valued players going elsewhere. Rebuilding every year is going to be crucial and will be a full time job that the head coach and assistants can't dedicate enough time to.
Tshiebwe was the college player of the year after his first season in Lexington. He had that as leverage. Jesse is good, but he has never been regarded as an elite player in the national sense. Third-team All-ACC doesn't garner 1.375.

Hopefully, we are truly in it to win it. But, I get the feeling we are just getting a courtesy hat on the table, because we hired Hunter's childhood coach.

We did this with Justin Moore for 2 weeks and he ended up staying at Nova.

At least Dickinson is actually in play... The Moore thing was hyped based on the Samurai Hoops guy on twitter who was first to announce Straughn was coming (which he got right.)

He also said Straughn was bringing former TTO high profile big east guard with him (which has yet to be true...) but that is why Moore was flavor of the week.

I don't mean to read into this, but what the hell, I will read into this...

We zoom zoom and Kansas gets a visit. Uh, not at all apples to apples. Now, maybe a visit is coming our way, but why Kansas have a visit while we only get a zoom call that the kid could be doing from his bed? A visit is obviously MUCH more of a serious discussion and opportunity. Anyone can jump on a call, hell, I'm jumping on a call with my IT guy in 10 minutes. I don't even like him.
Let's see ... Kansas vs Syracuse. An assured very high seed in the NCAAT to provide me with a high visibility platform vs a team that may not make it (for the 3rd straight year). Get coached up by Self or a rookie HC. Tough choice.

It’s in Kansas though. He’s an east coast guy.
I for one appreciate upstate and western NY, but even though it’s Kansas, location isn’t exactly a selling point for all recruits

I for one appreciate upstate and western NY, but even though it’s Kansas, location isn’t exactly a selling point for all recruits
If some of our own fans are going to beat the “it snows a lot in Syracuse so why would anyone ever go there?” drum, then I’m going to crap on places like Lawrence freakin Kansas!

TTO is currently why we are even having these conversations. Will it result in HD signing who knows but the TTO connection is the main reason we are sitting at the table right now.
Can someone please explain why this connection really matters? I really don't understand. That said, glad it does!

If some of our own fans are going to beat the “it snows a lot in Syracuse so why would anyone ever go there?” drum, then I’m going to crap on places like Lawrence freakin Kansas!
I used to be one of those, since I’ve been back, I love it. No traffic, cheap as hell, no traffic, plenty of stuff to do year round, no traffic, food is good (way better in Buffalo though), no traffic, easy to get to a bunch of major cities.

Doesn't even snow that much anymore ...

1681490488221.png

It’s not a problem you’re making it out to be. Do you really think we would be hosting too 40 HS players if we thought we had no chance?
We hosted Filipowski, Estrada and others and how did it work out? Did we step up and match with a competitive NIL? When we beat out other schools for a highly sought after recruit or prove we are able to keep one of our players who is attractive to another school, I'll turn more positive.

When's the last time it snowed a lot in Syracuse? I swear I can't remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom