Hunter Dickinson | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Hunter Dickinson

Yeah, I don't know about that AZOrange guy. He once likened a young Mathew Moyer to Melo.

I kid, I kid (but it's true).
Oh No Omg GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I did? I never really liked Moyer. I did liken Hammer to Melo.
MC Hammer? Not sure how their similar, well, maybe, both have a one hit wonder. I also assume most men, no exclusion of Melo of course, have a pair of some of those classic hammer pants (guilty) hanging in the back of their closets.

JJ is another Mintz with slightly less draft hype just b/c he isn't currently in the process.

HD wants to be the big fish. Hes a very high profile player. We're a good program for that we don't put these guys under microscopes none of our superstar players who knew the deal (star player with crazy attention) ever had problems DC, Billy, Carmelo etc. We've always done well with these guys.

I think if we offer an equal bag we get him. 50 cents on the dollar probably not but 90-95 high bidder he'll come here. Just doubt the program is really bidding aggressively this offseason. I think we'd probably get an OK return on the bag so it might make sense.

He'd get more media attention than Judah. WAYYY more.
If you truly believe this you will be extremely disappointed next year. Mintz is a far superior player than JJ Starling.

Similar program to us but while we have our basketball fans sit in a football stadium they cram their basketball fans into the lower concourse of an NBA stadium yet try for the same capacity as an NBA areana.

We aren't similar really nothing in common geographically NY and KS have nothing in common being good at basketball is the only thing the two universities have similar.

We'll see I'm already planning for the worst and thats OK they won't be awful players and it won't be worse than what JB trotted out. If we hit a grand slam and land HD that will be awesome. You only need 7-8 good players and honestly only 2-3 stars.
Wow the booze must have been flowing on a Friday night for some members of our board communit… “Similar program to us”? In what planet are we a similar program to Kansas? They are one of the title favorites every year and one of the best recruiting programs in the country. This is like Maryland saying they are a similar program to us because they one a natty once upon a time.

He better make a decision soon because season ticket renewals are due May 1. At the moment, there’s very little buzz about next years team. As of now, no Jesse, Joe or Judah. Sorry, but JJ doesn’t replace those three.

I had a friend back then ( we all have friends like this) who said you can go to any mall and see a dozen woman better looking than her
Truth, unless the mall is in Piscataway

He better make a decision soon because season ticket renewals are due May 1. At the moment, there’s very little buzz about next years team. As of now, no Jesse, Joe or Judah. Sorry, but JJ doesn’t replace those three.
The portal doesn’t even close until May 10th. The combine is just before Memorial Day. Most teams rosters are going to be in flux until then.

If you truly believe this you will be extremely disappointed next year. Mintz is a far superior player than JJ Starling.

Far superior? No. They are different players. Starling is still an elite talent but a year behind Mintz development wise. Long term trajectory isn't easy to predict either.

Last edited:
Hey, their draw is MONEY. That isn't a small thing. Hopefully our combination of AAU ties (Straughn), money and just not being Kansas appeals to him. So many fall for that Kansas crap, hopefully we can start turning the tides with the big boy Hunter Dickinson. Screw Kansas and Bill Self. He looks like a third rate evangelist.

And their boatloads of money don’t buy them championships!​

The portal doesn’t even close until May 10th. The combine is just before Memorial Day. Most teams rosters are going to be in flux until then.

Yep... plus you are still seeing later entries and decommitments from recruits too. We can't be left at the alter but also can't be stocking the shelves with bargain deals either.

Right now we have a small ball 5 in Brown on the roster who could add another 10- 15 lbs this summer as he has the frame to do so. Benny is 6-10 himself. In fact we aren't small height wise at any position right now thus even our version of small ball would look like any other program playing that style.

Thus we should be after the best possible additions we can get through the portal.

Not anyone is predicting success if we didn't add the right piece to replace Jesse, the right wing/forward and possibly one more to fill Judahs spot if needed. That said, there should be no knee jerk reaction here to fill a roster spot. It's quality we want not bodies.

If you want to play ”small ball” Brown doesn’t create a problem for a big post man. A big hasn’t got to leave the lane because Brown can’t shoot a lick outside a layup.

If you want to play ”small ball” Brown doesn’t create a problem for a big post man. A big hasn’t got to leave the lane because Brown can’t shoot a lick outside a layup.

There are multiple ways you can play small ball. Your 5 doesn't have to be a perimeter guy. Key is that he is mobile, runs the floor well and can defend multiple positions. Nova has showcased this, as had Houston and others. I'm not advocating for Brown at the 5, unless we say returned Judah and added a top portal guy as another scoring wing for instance... but point is Brown has great hands defensively so ball denial and pressure with the ability to front a big man is absolutely a formula that has been used successfully. Miami did this as well... thus adding strength and weight is key for a small ball 5 too.

There is still too much of an image of JBs version of basketball imprinted on our brains. It's not easy to remove given its all many SU fans know.

Mal Brown needs to get stronger; it's absolutely a must, for next season not going all Titanic on us.

There are multiple ways you can play small ball. Your 5 doesn't have to be a perimeter guy. Key is that he is mobile, runs the floor well and can defend multiple positions. Nova has showcased this, as had Houston and others. I'm not advocating for Brown at the 5, unless we say returned Judah and added a top portal guy as another scoring wing for instance... but point is Brown has great hands defensively so ball denial and pressure with the ability to front a big man is absolutely a formula that has been used successfully. Miami did this as well... thus adding strength and weight is key for a small ball 5 too.

There is still too much of an image of JBs version of basketball imprinted on our brains. It's not easy to remove given its all many SU fans know.
You actually think Brown can guard the bigs in the ACC? Bacot and Hall would mail him. He’s not the answer at the five.

I kinda poo - poo’d it at first too. But the more I consider the dynamics at play, the more I think we have a shot here.

We’re late to the dance, but we brought 1995 Jennifer Aniston as our date.
She was glorious

You actually think Brown can guard the bigs in the ACC? Bacot and Hall would mail him. He’s not the answer at the five.

Point me to where I said he was the answer at the 5. I will wait.

What I said is that many good programs have effectively run small ball. Maliq adds 15 lbs and the system is well run and it "could" mirror what has been successful elsewhere. In a traditional half court sense, without a strategy to deal with bigger opponents- no way. I'm talking about system not just player. Also it's why you must have depth... so even in that scenario you need depth including having size to throw at those kind of bigs when you can't play your way.

Lastly I never said I was advocating for it- just that there is more than one way to be successful when it comes to roster management in the post. I very much want to see a strong replacement for Jesse and that is the best outcome possible.

We need to see what things look like on the court still with Red. He hasn't coached a game yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom