I’ll be that guy | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll be that guy

You mean like Jim Brown scoring 43 points against Colgate?

It's doubtful that this is a good analogy. Syracuse and Colgate were annual type, local foes/rivals back in the day and had a history of playing each other. This is hardly the case with Wagner. Interestingly as it may be, the overall record amongst the schools is 31-31-5.

not true they actually played guys all game thry just rotated
People will make up stuff to justify their thoughts and ignore what they seen the last 50 years of college football.

I never knew shortening the game at halftime was a thing. I wish we used it in 2013 when Clemson came in for our first ACC football game. Scott Shafer had to know he was in over his head that day.

Open Shafer gif
Cant believe Dino agreed to do that. He was trying to get Tucker to 300 yards.

The argument is exactly what Dino said it was. They spent the week working on the run game. They rotated lineman and used some different blocking schemes in the first half. They reviewed the results at halftime and wanted to test things out the first drive in the second half. Didn’t matter if they were playing 15 minute quarters, 10 minute quarters or three hour quarters.

Personally I disagreed with the decision but clearly understand the rationale. And I am too busy celebrating 5-0 to subject myself to angst over a decision I disagreed with.
I think Schiano asked Wagner to play three hour quarters this year in the second half

The same reason you play starters when you are up 30 in the 1st quarter of a game you know you will win. If it was the late 3rd and 4th I would say they shouldnt have been in the game. I wouldnt say that during the first series of the half. The score didnt dictake what the staff was trying to accomplish for this game. How many actual offensive snaps did the unit have prior to that last series?

Edit Cuse had 37 total plays prior to that series.
Thank you

I hear you, but you have to balance a player's legacy. It isn't as easy as just considering the team. Tucker hasn't had the year we all expected. He needed only 20 yards to have a record that has stood for 40+ years. Was it a risk, of course, but it didn't seem like much of a risk prior to the scare. So, deciding to go for the record doesn't seem like that big of a deal prior to the scare, after the scare it seems like the dumbest decision ever.
Yep

If the game is legit, then it counts. Period. But hey, let’s kvetch and belittle our team when it’s standard practice everywhere else!

If you have a problem with it, then FORBID the scheduling of that game.

I didn't "belittle our team". I pointed out that Wagner IS little and that they had ceased to even try to win the game and Dino had already waived off ten minutes of the second half to avoid injury to his players.

I get your point, but most records are made against teams that would fit Wagner's description at that time.

Joe's record was in a road game against Kansas, a power conference team coming off a 4-5 -2 record that would be 3-8 that year. Kansas took leads of 14-0 and 21-7 and drove from their own 15 to the SU, 5 looking to make it a 28-7 game. A botched handoff and missed field goal left it at 7-21 but Joe got going and led the team to 38 unanswered points. Kansas got a late score but we won 45-27. Joe had 252 yards rushing on 23 carries and scored three touchdowns. (I got this from newspaper Acrhcive.com, a service you need to sign up for and which doesn't allow it's material to be copied).

Wagner is an FCS school, (that belongs back in Division III), that hasn't won a game in this decade whom we beat 59-0 in a 50 minute game.

Last edited:
There was never going to be anything "learned" from this game. If we're going to schedule something like this; at least go with Colgate, Cornell, or Villanova.

No way I want the worst team possible. Playing Wagner and having a bye while the best teams in the ACC beat each other up is excellent.

Very happy that we have no moronic series scheduled in the future with trips to divisional schools.

Havent read the thread but in blow out wins, most coaches let their starters play 1 series in a second half. People are only commenting on it becuase Tucker went down. Ohio st had their starters in late 3rd with a 32 point lead.

I was already commenting on it when they came out for the second half - and so were Matt Park and Adam Terry. Tucker going down only proved the point.

It's doubtful that this is a good analogy. Syracuse and Colgate were annual type, local foes/rivals back in the day and had a history of playing each other. This is hardly the case with Wagner. Interestingly as it may be, the overall record amongst the schools is 31-31-5.

Syracuse vs. Colgate 1950-55:
1950 Colgate won 19-14
1951 Syracuse won 9-0
1952 Syracuse won 20-14
1953 Syracuse won 34-18
1954 Syracuse won 31-12
1955 Syracuse won 26-19

Consequently, Jim Brown scoring 43 points in a 61-7 win had some impact.

I never knew shortening the game at halftime was a thing. I wish we used it in 2013 when Clemson came in for our first ACC football game. Scott Shafer had to know he was in over his head that day.

Open Shafer gif

Or when Dino lost his first Clemson game 0-54.

Try being not able to go stuck in The middle of a major electrical construction project that absolutely positively had to be done, not being able to watch or keep up with the game, only to get a text from a good friend of yours and mine who texts that Tucker went down with an ACL injury!

Yeah it was a fine sight me swearing solo into the night air the wifey asking all incredulously what happened…….yeah he gets a dope slap at the next tailgate

Last edited:
I was already commenting on it when they came out for the second half - and so were Matt Park and Adam Terry. Tucker going down only proved the point.
We get paranoid about injuries because we want our favorite team to win. 1st series in the second half is as standard as it comes. Adam knows that. What he will say publicly is different from what he will say in private. Top players play in meaningless games all the time. It’s just easy to point it out after they go down. Which is very uncommon.

It's a bit peculiar IMO. You'd think that this type of agreement would need some type of multi higher level approval of some kind vs a subordinate coaching level type? I realize this was a streamed game vs. TV, however, there are still advertisers, etc. I imagine that may not get their bang for their buck by a game ad-lib game.
It's in the rules. Coaches and head officiall must agree. I found it earlier but didn't copy it. It's pretty easy to find.

You dont seem to watch a lot of football outside of SU. You should know the answer to this. I cant remember watching many games where the starters didnt start the second half despite the score.
It matters not what others do. We are not a football factory school who can lose a player and another player is waiting in the wings, we lose a great player our team has a huge drop off in potential. You have to manage your team to maximize your team potential, and frankly not taking such things into consideration is mismanagement given our situation.
No one is saying the starters should not have played, however once you are up by 40 and it is obvious to a blind man the result, and you have agreed to shorten the final two quarters by five minutes each, then you need to consider the future as to your team goals. I will not even debate the bad sportsmanship involved.
This was a bad decision by Dino, and consistent with his many bad game decisions from last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom