I already hate Brony James. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I already hate Brony James.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed -- which is pretty remarkable for an athlete that has been under the microscope like him.

I lived in NE Ohio when he was in HS. His mom and her then-partner were nuts -- I think he went to prison for some type of financial scam. A local car dealership gifted him a Hummer when he was in high school. There was no way I expected him to be as squeaky clean as he's turned out to be, given that background.

And yet, there's very little [if anything] off the court to criticize. As you point out, "The Decision" was probably the worst thing, and in the big scheme of things -- not really a big deal.

Edit -- a couple of years ago, he was a special guest star on one of those house flipping shows, when the focus was on fixing up several neighborhood houses in a run-down area of Akron, LeBron's home town. LeBron had a financial stake in the project. So LeBron shows up at project kickoff, cuts the ribbon, and poses for some photos. The woman who is the house flipping focus of the show talked about how nice it was to meet a big sports celebrity like him, and how she was appreciative for his financial backing.

The next day, the project kicks off in earnest. And much to her surprise, LeBron shows BACK up on-site with his kids at like 7am in the morning. She apparently didn't expect him to be involved beyond the initial photo op -- let alone to work. Instead, he's out there with safety googles, swinging sledgehammers, loading construction waste into dumpsters, etc. He also put his kids to work, and got on them throughout the day if they slacked off. Then he showed up on day 2, again with his kids, for another full day of work. And again on day 3. And was there for the full week, working full time, for the duration of the project.

Says a lot about him, IMO. Billionaire, but not afraid to get his hands dirty when it came to community work benefitting his home town.

Tks. I'm not a LeBron guy, but I'm glad to read posts like this that reveal him differently than what the TV camera shows.

Last edited:
Alright, since you brought up that example. Him calling out that cop as racist (after that cop saved a black girl’s life) is a good reason.

Fair enough…that was pretty gross and someone who’s ostensibly so intelligent should know how big a platform he has and should’ve known better

Fair enough…that was pretty gross and someone who’s ostensibly so intelligent should know how big a platform he has and should’ve known better

Now that we opened up the can of worms, that and his capitulation to China are really my main issues with Lebron. I don’t even mind if he doesn’t speak out against China, but him criticizing people like Daryl Morey over Hong Kong comments is pretty reprehensible IMO.

I'd take Kobe over LBJ in a heartbeat. Multiply that by a million in the clutch. Jmho
Lebron not being clutch is a false narrative. Most clutch time points in history, most playoff buzzer beaters ever. If you want to take Kobe in the clutch fine, but “multiply that by a million in the clutch” makes it seem like Lebron isn’t clutch.

Lebron (5) has more playoff buzzer-beaters than MJ (3) and Kobe (0) combined.
While 5 game winning playoff buzzer beaters is impressive, the opportunity has to be there. Could it be that that scenario presented itself to Lebron more than other players (involved in more games that came down to the final seconds with his team having possession)? Lebron has played in 87 more playoff games than MJ and 46 more than Kobe, which increases the probability for him to be in a buzzer beating scenario.

While 5 game winning playoff buzzer beaters is impressive, the opportunity has to be there. Could it be that that scenario presented itself to Lebron more than other players (involved in more games that came down to the final seconds with his team having possession)? Lebron has played in 87 more playoff games than MJ and 46 more than Kobe, which increases the probability for him to be in a buzzer beating scenario.
Sure nothing you just said is unreasonable. I was simply responding to the “multiply that by a million in the clutch” quote which isn’t backed by data.

LeBron beats both MJ and Kobe in durability. He's played in more games, thereby having more chances, hence the large gaps statistically.
But, again jmho, he's not the equal to either Mike or Kobe in closing out games. He got better as he got older, and undoubtedly one can pull out stats to support that argument, but given a choice between them, itd be MJ/Kobe/LBJ for me. JMHO

Lebron not being clutch is a false narrative. Most clutch time points in history, most playoff buzzer beaters ever. If you want to take Kobe in the clutch fine, but “multiply that by a million in the clutch” makes it seem like Lebron isn’t clutch.
Never said LBJ is "not clutch". What I said was given a choice, with 1 shot to win a game, I'd take MJ and Kobe over him. Hell, I'd take Steph Curry over him as well.

I was going to say this, but anytime someone says Kobe is better than Lebron I know engaging with them in a basketball conversation isn’t worth my time and let it go.
I feel like there's probably some overlap between people who think Kobe is better than Lebron and people who think Joe Montana is better than Tom Brady because "4-0 in the Super Bowl is better than 7-3." There are actually people walking amongst us right now who are allowed to vote in elections who think that makes sense.

Obtuse much?
7cd21583-5982-463e-943f-99742e46ed93_text.gif

If he's handled the attention "better than anyone you've ever seen", and you acknowledge that he's a good guy, then why call him "LePain"?
Ok...how bout LeWhine, LeFlop, Le(fill-in-the-blank).
I can't help it if his name lends itself to profound bouts of grammatical immaturity. Apologies in advance. :p

I feel like there's probably some overlap between people who think Kobe is better than Lebron and people who think Joe Montana is better than Tom Brady because "4-0 in the Super Bowl is better than 7-3." There are actually people walking amongst us right now who are allowed to vote in elections who think that makes sense.

The people who think that 4-0 is better than 7-3 always amazes me too. They are literally arguing that losing early in the playoffs is more impressive than losing later. It truly is insane.

Alright, since you brought up that example. Him calling out that cop as racist (after that cop saved a black girl’s life) is a good reason.
Not to mention posting his picture stating, 'your next' essentially inciting a call to violence against the police officer who had just saved a life. That exact moment I was done rooting for LeBron. He's a POS.

As for his kid, I have no issues with him.

Well, I'll offer this, that I think Brady didn't do anything Montana hadn't already done (read: take what the defense gives you), he just did it more. But I digress. :)

Now that we opened up the can of worms, that and his capitulation to China are really my main issues with Lebron. I don’t even mind if he doesn’t speak out against China, but him criticizing people like Daryl Morey over Hong Kong comments is pretty reprehensible IMO.
I quite enjoyed this takedown as well

Sorry to interrupt this discussion on who is more clutch but back to Bronny. I certainly don't hate the kid. In fact I feel a little sorry for him. He will never meet the expectations being created for him by his father and ESPN. He had a very up and down HS season where he was outplayed by guys that are not even major D-1 recruits. That doesn't mean he can't become a great player but whether that happens is very uncertain.

Meanwhile for all of us out there that have coached their sons or just watched from the stands, LeBron is that guy. The father that thinks the world revolves around his son and that his kid is a can't miss superstar. Obviously all of this is playing out on a much higher level but LeBron doesn't help the situation by saying, like he did a week ago, that Bronny is better than a bunch of guys in the NBA. I know LeBron is prone to saying some dumb sheet but that's ridiculous.

As for ESPN, not surprised. They hang on LeBron's every word and tell us what he has for breakfast every morning. We'll be hearing endless commentary from them on Bronny even if he winds up in the G League.

I'd take Kobe over LBJ in a heartbeat. Multiply that by a million in the clutch. Jmho
Kobe was a better one on one scorer….particularly if the help closed off the lane and a highly contested jumper needed to be taken.

Those are considered “bad” shots…and they are for most players. But Kobe’s shot making ability was absurd. Definitely a better jump shooter (and FT shooter which really matters too), especially contested off the dribble or turnaround type jumpers.

As a Lakers fan who rooted for Kobe his entire career and was crushed by his death - I can’t say he was a better overall player than LeBron, as much as I’d like to.

Definitely closer than many commonly accepted narratives suggest these days, but overall that’s a tough argument to make. LeBron can do it all skill wise and is just physically an impossible matchup.

The people who think that 4-0 is better than 7-3 always amazes me too. They are literally arguing that losing early in the playoffs is more impressive than losing later. It truly is insane.
There are plenty of aspects to US sports culture that are nutso. People ridiculing the Buffalo teams in the early 1990s that went to four straight SBs. The degree of difficulty there is pretty damn high and yet morons would take shots as if the Bills should be ashamed of that run cuz they didn't win a SB.

I hope Bronny isn’t both 1)overdrafted and handed opportunities he doesn’t deserve, and 2) Judged by impossible to live up to standards.

That combo would be extremely unfair circumstances to start a career for anybody.

I hope he gets drafted later than he “should”, and people don’t get stupid if he’s a role player. Not too many all time great b-ball players with kids who even made the league, let alone became superstars themselves.

He should be congratulated if he ends up being like Tim Hardaway Jr, Gary Payton II, etc. Those guys did a heck of a job earning legit solid careers on their own merits, even if they’re not superstars like their dads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom