I am seriously tired of the SEC... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I am seriously tired of the SEC...

I'd pay good money to watch that comedy gold. Barney, Floyd, Goober, and Gomer reffing? Sign me up. Sideline refreshments by Aunt Bea. Would be far better than the upcoming Saban Suck-Off broadcast.
I think that crew has done a couple of games this Bowl Season.

I'm with cto - so sick of Alabama and the top of the SEC. Probably will not watch the champ game.

None of the other conferences ever cheated. Cousfucius say: That's whacked.
The SEC pioneered it lol. Basically just about all of the modern day issues with CFB come from the “just means more” crowd.

If you love it - good for you. Someday they’ll be their own league and you can roll with the razorbacks or something,

View attachment 212349
Dick, here's a young Aunt Bea(Frances Bavier) when she was a new girl hollywood hottie. She sure could sell some sweet tea and lemonade.

Given that she was born in 1902, that photo is probably 100 years old now. Pretty crazy when you can watch here every night in old reruns.

The SEC pioneered it lol. Basically just about all of the modern day issues with CFB come from the “just means more” crowd.

If you love it - good for you. Someday they’ll be their own league and you can roll with the razorbacks or something,
Agree, hoping in the long run, the portal will help stop these top schools from keeping all the talent. The bench sitters need to leave and go elsewhere, and smart kids from lower ranked schools need to realize they won't play if the transfer to these top schools.
May take a few years, but the portal may develope some balance in the game.

I think there should be one championship for them... and one championship for all the other schools.

The landscape has become too unbalanced, and it will only get worse with NIL, the transfer portal, Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC, etc.

The two semi-final games tonight were boring embarrassments.
It’s bad for the sport that so many people feel this way.

Unless ratings take a huuuuge hit, it’ll remain unchanged.

I suspect Syracuse will tapout.

The SEC is top heavy.
The entire conference is not Georgia or Alabama.

Outside of those 2 teams and LSU/Auburn/Florida the rest of the conference is just like college football.

Alabama has the best college football coach of all-time. Which is a cheat code. Alabama will take a step back when he retires.

Bluebloods have run college football forever.
USC in the 00s
Nebraska/Florida State in the 90s
Miami in the 80s.

The SEC as a whole is not running college football it’s Alabama and Georgia are good.
Those teams have been dominant but it's not just the 'Bama and Georgia parade that is turning off fans. It's the overall lack of parity in CFB. The playoffs are like groundhog day: nine of the last ten champions and most of the top teams are from the deep south. Once in a while there's a fleeting appearance by Oregon, and the B1G gets a few teams in (OSU, ND or Michigan). But who can compete with Alabama, Georgia and Clemson when they would rather divert hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to football salaries than provide basic government services (like education). Remember the Clemson game in the Dome this October? There were more Tiger assistants than players on the field. Its recruiting staff is almost certainly gigantic, and it has to be to compete with lazy rivers and legions of staff at other SEC schools. If these structural disparities aren't enough, the portal has exploded and the NCAA has tossed the reins on NIL/booster money. Every time it moves away from amateurism the corruption gets more brazen.

There are abuses in college hoops as well. But the games are still interesting because it takes far less money to run a basketball program than a football program, so there's more opportunity for parity and diversity. Yes the southern blue bloods have been successful - Duke, Carolina (ACC) and UK (SEC). But non-blue bloods from other regions have been able to compete and win - Nova and UConn twice each. And we've seen a variety of FF teams rise up from different conferences and states - the Pacific NW (Pac12 -Zags), the West Coast (Big12, Baylor), the North (Nova and Uconn, Big East/Amer. Ath.), the South (Atlantic 10 - VCU), and the Mid-West (American Conference - Witch. St., B1G with Michigan and OSU, and Missouri Valley with Loyola-Chi).

Enjoy it while it lasts. The crazy new NLI/Portal system is just getting started, and will inevitably exacerbate the power consolidation in college basketball that has destroyed parity on the gridiron.

Last edited:
I've mentioned several times that the lack of parity has caused me to lose interest. I lived in Georgia for 11 years and of the SEC fans I encountered, they were the least obnoxious. So I'll cheer for them in the championship for as long as it stays interesting, but it's not must see tv for me.

UMASS has assembled quite an excellent coaching staff, one might say a B1G coaching staff. And they out recruited the Orange for Rudolph, in case no one noticed.
The red-nosed reindeer?

I think the old SWC and Big 8 may argue with you on this point

At least in CBB more than 2 teams have a shot every year.
If the KC Chiefs win the Super Bowl, they get the last draft pick in the first round.

If Bama or Georgia win the CFB National Championship, they’ll divvy up 10 of the top 15 blue chip talents and then fill out their 25-player class with players they want among the top 250 players.

And that does not account for the boosters getting involved. It’s a tough sport to love these days.

If the KC Chiefs win the Super Bowl, they get the last draft pick in the first round.

If Bama or Georgia win the CFB National Championship, they’ll divvy up 10 of the top 15 blue chip talents and then fill out their 25-player class with players they want among the top 250 players.

And that does not account for the boosters getting involved. It’s a tough sport to love these days.
You realize there is an insane amount of talent within a 300 mile radius for Georgia and Alabama. Especially Georgia.

Kids want to stay close to home to play college football.
That is why a lot of bad SEC teams get good recruiting classes.
Talent is located down there.
Just like there is a lot of hoops talent in NYC and New England prep schools I wish we got more of.

Parity is a real, real problem in the FBS right now.

This has nothing to do with what I said.`
The underlying theme of this thread is Syracuse football will never be able to get up there. I've been roundly beaten by people who tell me major college football is a non sequitur in New England. Well they have 3 very, very strong coaches over there in Brown, Mora and Hafley plus multiple strong FCS teams, just watch the resurgence happen. This gambit JW is playing better work or Orange football will be left in the dust.

Ohio State fanbase might be the worst fanbase in the nation and that is saying something.
Yeah I'm not sure who really won that troll. Michigan got stomped but Vrabel's Buckeyes didn't even make it after losing to Michigan.

The red-nosed reindeer?
I don't want to go back into my deconstructive reading of RRR. I'm referring to the 4 star Penn St safety that was in the portal and was offered, but choose UMASS instead.

I think there should be one championship for them... and one championship for all the other schools.

The landscape has become too unbalanced, and it will only get worse with NIL, the transfer portal, Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC, etc.

The two semi-final games tonight were boring embarrassments.
I haven't watched a bowl game this year. I don't care if Georgia or Bama wins. The amount of money those teams spend is outlandish. I might have watched if Michigan or Cincy was in the game. There is the SEC with their Jimbos and over paid coaches and the rest of Division 1.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom