I am seriously tired of the SEC... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

I am seriously tired of the SEC...

Apparently, The viewing public agrees. From yahoo Sports on January 4, 2022

New Year's Eve College Football Playoff viewership down significantly from Jan. 1, 2021​

They are going to choke on their own money. nobody will care about them.

I remember a famous quote from Yogi Berra regarding a restaurant in New York City.
"Nobody goes there any more, the wait for a table is too long"
The ratings were lousy because the games were decided quickly. That's why it's kinda funny all the complaining about Monday night's match-up. It's got the potential to be a very good game. I'd much rather watch that than some 38-10 thriller.

The ratings were lousy because the games were decided quickly. That's why it's kinda funny all the complaining about Monday night's match-up. It's got the potential to be a very good game. I'd much rather watch that than some 38-10 thriller.
I might watch the last quarter, I have no interest in either team, there is no conference tie in, there is no underdog to get behind. These are clearly the best two teams by far, but I just don’t care.

I might watch the last quarter, I have no interest in either team, there is no conference tie in, there is no underdog to get behind. These are clearly the best two teams by far, but I just don’t care.
Understood. I'm just saying I'd prefer a highly competitive game even if it involves teams I don't root for. I've seen enough championship games that were decided well before half time. This match-up seriously reduces the likelihood of that happening. The fact they're both from the same conference doesn't matter much to me. Just like when there were three BE teams in the 1985 Final Four. I just want to see competitive games played at a high level.

There's no need to go beyond 16. The Power 5 gets 5 conference champs and up to 6 at large bids. they'll be happy. I see nothing wrong with your first scenario. the playoffs in the other divisions start out like that as well, as does March Madness, the lacrosse tournament, etc.
Those matchups are garbage.

In Lax the bad teams play for the right to play the good teams. That is why you need 20.

Just give a bye to the top 4 or whatever. Let the other bunch play extremely fun, watchable games that count for something.

The problem is 16 teams. 12 is better 16 but not as good as 18 or 20. With 12 you have the bottom four playing the middle four.

5. Baylor vs 12. Northern Illinois (boring)
6. Notre Dame vs 11. Utah State (boring)
7. Utah vs 10. UTSA (boring)
8. Pitt vs 9. Louisiana (good game)

1. Bama vs 8/9 (boring)
2. Michigan vs 7. Utah (good game)
3. UGA vs 6. ND (boring)
4. Cincy vs 5. Baylor (good game)

The problem is you leave out Ohio State who is a better team than seeds 4-12. Seems silly to leave a team like them out for those low quality teams.

In BBall they have the 4 worst conference winners and the 4 worst at larges play to get into the 64 team field. Do the same with FB.

UTSA vs Utah State for the 16 seed, winner plays 1. Bama
Louisiana vs Northern Illinois for the 15 seed, winner plays 2. Michigan
Oregon vs Oklahoma for the 14 seed, winner plays 3. UGA
BYU vs Iowa for the 13 seed, winner plays 4. Cincy
5. Ohio State vs 12. Pitt
6. ND vs 11. Utah
7. Baylor vs 10. Ole Miss
8. Okie State vs 9. Michigan State

The only really bad game is the #16 vs Bama. A lot better looking playoff. With just 16 teams you have worse matchups and leave out Oregon, Oklahoma, BYU, and Iowa. If you are having 10 auto bids IMO you need to go to 20.

2019 would have been:

1. LSU vs 16. App State/FAU
2. Ohio State vs 15. Boise State/Miami OH
3. Clemson vs 14. Memphis
4. Oklahoma vs 13. Bama/Michigan
5. Oregon vs 12. Auburn/Notre Dame
6. UGA vs 11. Penn State
7. Baylor vs 10. Florida
8. Wisconsin vs 9. Utah

The Top 3 seeds are winning easily. But the rest of the games are all interesting. It is a lot better than 16 teams with 10 auto bids.

1. LSU vs 16. Miami OH
2. Ohio State vs 15. FAU
3. Clemson vs 14. App State
4. Oklahoma vs 13. Boise State
5. Oregon vs 12. Memphis
6. UGA vs 11. Penn State
7. Baylor vs 10. Florida
8. Wisconsin vs 9. Utah

Personally I want to see 7 teams with auto bids if a conference champ is Top 10 only. If every conference gets an auto bid I think you need 20 teams. Going from a 4 team playoff to 20 teams is a huge jump but so is going from 3 conference champs to 10 conference champs.

IMO the G5 champs need to earn it. Just winning a crappy conference isn't enough. Especially with BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF leaving the G5. Go the BBall route.

Last edited:
In terms of quality IMO 7 is the magic number. It also rewards the #1 team and the #1 team isn't going to be challenged by the 8 seed anyway. It also is made for TV as you have 3 games (12pm, 4pm, 8pm) in one day.

1. Bama gets a bye
2. Michigan plays 7. Baylor
3. UGA plays 6. ND
4. Cincy plays 5. Ohio State

The ACC and P12 get left out for not having a Top 10 team.
What if it’s 7 and includes all of the P5 championship teams?

Those matchups are garbage.

In Lax the bad teams play for the right to play the good teams. That is why you need 20.

Here are the brackets in the other divisions this year:

FCS: 2021 FCS Football Official Bracket | NCAA.com

DII: 2021 Division II Football Official Bracket | NCAA.com

DIII: 2021 Division III Football Official Bracket | NCAA.com

NAIA: 2021 NAIA Football Playoff Bracket, Results

There's no reason FBS couldn't do something similar. there's a number of one-sided games in each. they don't ruin the tournament.

I like the idea of having each FBS conference champion, not only because it gives all of them a shot but because the conference seasons thus become part of the tournament, making far more games relevant than we have now. I like 16 because I don't care for byes. Each team should have to win the same number of games. You could hold the first round in December after the conference championships without having to lose any other games, then hold the quarter-finals in the major bowls on New Year's Day, then the semi-finals the next week and the finals the week after that, the games being held by the bowl committees.

Alabama-Northern Illinois might be a walk-over game for the Tide but that's OK. And then, it might not:

There's no reason FBS couldn't do something similar. there's a number of one-sided games in each. they don't ruin the tournament.

I like the idea of having each FBS conference champion, not only because it gives all of them a shot but because the conference seasons thus become part of the tournament, making far more games relevant than we have now. I like 16 because I don't care for byes. Each team should have to win the same number of games. You could hold the first round in December after the conference championships without having to lose any other games, then hold the quarter-finals in the major bowls on New Year's Day, then the semi-finals the next week and the finals the week after that, the games being held by the bowl committees.

Alabama-Northern Illinois might be a walk-over game for the Tide but that's OK. And then, it might not:

So a team that went 4-9 is the same as a team that is a 1 seed? Got it.

Those other divisions have first round byes for the good teams. That is what I am advocating if you include the G5.

I appreciate your perspective but you do realize Alabama went 4-9 that year right?

What if it’s 7 and includes all of the P5 championship teams?

The problem is what happens when a P5 champ isn't good like this year, while a G5 champ is better but not as good as Cincy this year (like when UCF was #8). Are you really going to leave #8 UCF out to take #11 Utah and #12 Pitt? Saying Top 10 only gives the G5 access and keeps out bad P5 champs.

The problem is what happens when a P5 champ isn't good like this year, while a G5 champ is better but not as good as Cincy this year (like when UCF was #8). Are you really going to leave #8 UCF out to take #11 Utah and #12 Pitt? Saying Top 10 only gives the G5 access and keeps out bad P5 champs.
Something tells me that the ACC, PAC & B12 wouldn't buy into that. ;)

I like it. FCS #11 team knocks of the #4 and 5 teams, only to be beaten by the #8 team who then DESTROYS the #1 team to advance to the finals. SPORTS. Love it.

I hate the SEC .

So a team that went 4-9 is the same as a team that is a 1 seed? Got it.

Those other divisions have first round byes for the good teams. That is what I am advocating if you include the G5.

I appreciate your perspective but you do realize Alabama went 4-9 that year right?

I do realize that. I just added that as a sort of a wink.

I have zero interest in watching Alabama play Georgia. Zero. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Zoid.

I think in general the SEC is overrated because of the teams at the top. It becomes a self-fulfilling environment. Like the myth of Notre Dame.

I’ve loved college football for decades. But the game is in a pretty crappy place right now. And it’s too bad.

Something tells me that the ACC, PAC & B12 wouldn't buy into that. ;)
If their choices are 4 teams or 7 with Top 10 auto, wouldn't they?

EDIT

In CFP era conf champ in Top 10:

ACC 7 of 8
B12 5 of 8 (although Oklahoma is leaving so it might be worse)
P12 6 of 8 (although 2020 late start hurt their rankings)
AAC 3 of 8 (although they lose UCF and Cincy)

The ACC it doesn't really impact. P12 it helps them get into the playoff. The B12 is the one that has the biggest risk of missing out.

Last edited:
The problem with 16 teams with auto bids for all conference champs is much of the G5 wasn't even FBS when the split happened (only 52.5% were FBS). Many came in the 2000s (29.5%). A bunch since 2012 (21.5%). Why should schools that have been FBS 10 years or less have equal access? I think D1 needs to go to 3 sub divisions. The P5 all go to 16 teams (80 total) and stay FBS. The remaining FBS teams add the top FCS schools and become FCS A, and the remaining FCS schools become FCS AA.

FBS - 80 teams
FCS A - 90 teams (53 current FBS teams plus Top 37 FCS teams)
FCS AA - 95 teams

ACC all 14 schools were FBS in 1978
B1G all 14 were FBS in 1978
B12 11 of 12 were FBS in 1978, all 12 before 2000
P12 all 12 were FBS in 1978
SEC all 16 were FBS in 1978

MAC 10 of 12 were FBS in 1978, all 12 were FBS before 2000
MWC 10 of 12 were FBS in 1978, all 12 were FBS before 2000

AAC 8 of 14 were FBS in 1978, 10 of 14 were FBS before 2000, 12 of 14 were FBS before 2012

CUSA 2 of 9 were FBS in 1978, 4 of 9 were FBS before 2000, 6 of 9 were FBS before 2012
Sunbelt 2 of 14 were FBS in 1978, 5 of 14 were FBS before 2000, 6 of 14 were FBS before 2012

57% of the Sun Belt and 33% of CUSA joined the FBS after 2011.

64% of the Sun Belt and 55% of CUSA joined the FBS in the 2000s.

To get to 16 in each conference:

B1G candidates (need 2) - Notre Dame, Mizzou, Colorado, Kansas, Iowa State, SU, UConn
SEC (if Mizzou left) - Okie State, WV, Kansas, K State, VA Tech, NC State, ECU, Louisville
ACC (2+) - Notre Dame, Cincy, WV, UCF, Temple, UConn
P12 (4+) - Eastern (Houston, Texas Tech, Okie State, Kansas, K State, New Mexico)
or
Non Eastern (Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, UNLV, Colorado State, New Mexico)
B12 (4+) - Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, UNLV, Nevada, Colorado State, New Mexico, Memphis, USF, ECU, Temple, UConn, Liberty, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane

I like it. FCS #11 team knocks of the #4 and 5 teams, only to be beaten by the #8 team who then DESTROYS the #1 team to advance to the finals. SPORTS. Love it.

I hate the SEC .

South Dakota State was a weird team this year, up and down. They were #4 in mid November and beat North Dakota State this year. For them, making the semi finals would be like Michigan State (beat Michigan, #3 in November) making the semi finals this year in FBS. It is not like they are a G5 type team. Similar with Montana State. Sam Houston losing would be like Notre Dame losing, paper tigers.

I am all for a 20 team playoff with conference auto bids.

First Four (bottom 4 conference champs and bottom 4 at larges like in NCAA BBall)
Friday 8pm
Saturday 12pm, 4pm, 8pm

1st round 16 teams
Friday 7pm and 8:45pm
Saturday 12pm, 1:45pm, 3:30pm, 5:15pm, 7pm, 8:45pm

Quarterfinals
Friday 8pm
Saturday 12pm, 4pm, 8pm

Semis
Saturday 4pm, 8pm

Championship
Monday 8pm

The problem with 16 teams with auto bids for all conference champs is much of the G5 wasn't even FBS when the split happened (only 52.5% were FBS). Many came in the 2000s (29.5%). A bunch since 2012 (21.5%). Why should schools that have been FBS 10 years or less have equal access? I think D1 needs to go to 3 sub divisions. The P5 all go to 16 teams (80 total) and stay FBS. The remaining FBS teams add the top FCS schools and become FCS A, and the remaining FCS schools become FCS AA.

FBS - 80 teams
FCS A - 90 teams (53 current FBS teams plus Top 37 FCS teams)
FCS AA - 95 teams

ACC all 14 schools were FBS in 1978
B1G all 14 were FBS in 1978
B12 11 of 12 were FBS in 1978, all 12 before 2000
P12 all 12 were FBS in 1978
SEC all 16 were FBS in 1978

MAC 10 of 12 were FBS in 1978, all 12 were FBS before 2000
MWC 10 of 12 were FBS in 1978, all 12 were FBS before 2000

AAC 8 of 14 were FBS in 1978, 10 of 14 were FBS before 2000, 12 of 14 were FBS before 2012

CUSA 2 of 9 were FBS in 1978, 4 of 9 were FBS before 2000, 6 of 9 were FBS before 2012
Sunbelt 2 of 14 were FBS in 1978, 5 of 14 were FBS before 2000, 6 of 14 were FBS before 2012

57% of the Sun Belt and 33% of CUSA joined the FBS after 2011.

64% of the Sun Belt and 55% of CUSA joined the FBS in the 2000s.

To get to 16 in each conference:

B1G candidates (need 2) - Notre Dame, Mizzou, Colorado, Kansas, Iowa State, SU, UConn
SEC (if Mizzou left) - Okie State, WV, Kansas, K State, VA Tech, NC State, ECU, Louisville
ACC (2+) - Notre Dame, Cincy, WV, UCF, Temple, UConn
P12 (4+) - Eastern (Houston, Texas Tech, Okie State, Kansas, K State, New Mexico)
or
Non Eastern (Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, UNLV, Colorado State, New Mexico)
B12 (4+) - Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, UNLV, Nevada, Colorado State, New Mexico, Memphis, USF, ECU, Temple, UConn, Liberty, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane

I'd love to re-unite the Group of 5 with FCS from whence they came and give North Dakota State some competition. But I don't know what means they could use. There was a proposal back in the 70's to have a 50,000 seat stadium requirement for FBS. That's why the Carrier Dome was designed for that many seats. I remember the president of Kent State said that if that's what it took to remain in 1A, they would build a 50,000 seat stadium because "We consider ourselves to be on the same level as Ohio State". Eventually the NCAA gave up trying to re-order things and instead of 1A schools dropping down to 1AA we had D2 schools moving up into what became FCS - and many of them then advanced to FBS, eventually resulting in the Group of 5.

I still maintain that if they are going to be in FBS, they should have a change to compete for the title there. And I like the idea of automatic bids to all conferences because it makes the conference races a part of the tournament. And I don't mind Northern Illinois - Alabama type match-ups because you get them in every division and every sport. Today I watched the first half of the Bison's 38-10 FCS championship game victory over Montana State. It doesn't prevent them from putting on a 24 team tournament in that division, just as the dominance of other schools in the other divisions didn't prevent them from having a comprehensive tournament. If you want to do it with byes so the lesser team will have to play each other before they take on one of the powers, fine. We don't need still another division.

I'd love to re-unite the Group of 5 with FCS from whence they came and give North Dakota State some competition. But I don't know what means they could use. There was a proposal back in the 70's to have a 50,000 seat stadium requirement for FBS. That's why the Carrier Dome was designed for that many seats. I remember the president of Kent State said that if that's what it took to remain in 1A, they would build a 50,000 seat stadium because "We consider ourselves to be on the same level as Ohio State". Eventually the NCAA gave up trying to re-order things and instead of 1A schools dropping down to 1AA we had D2 schools moving up into what became FCS - and many of them then advanced to FBS, eventually resulting in the Group of 5.

I still maintain that if they are going to be in FBS, they should have a change to compete for the title there. And I like the idea of automatic bids to all conferences because it makes the conference races a part of the tournament. And I don't mind Northern Illinois - Alabama type match-ups because you get them in every division and every sport. Today I watched the first half of the Bison's 38-10 FCS championship game victory over Montana State. It doesn't prevent them from putting on a 24 team tournament in that division, just as the dominance of other schools in the other divisions didn't prevent them from having a comprehensive tournament. If you want to do it with byes so the lesser team will have to play each other before they take on one of the powers, fine. We don't need still another division.

There is a 15k attendance requirement which for some reason is never enforced. IMO that should be bumped up to at least 25k (30k is better). That will get you to around 90 teams. The MAC, Sun Belt, CUSA, and bottom half of MWC have no business being FBS.

2019 (pre covid)
AAC lowest 18,741
ACC lowest 25,811
B12 lowest 33,875
B1G lowest 30,082
CUSA highest 24,765
MAC highest 20,399
MWC highest 32,070
P12 lowest 28,541
SEC lowest 26,288
Sun Belt highest 23,806

Between NIL, a 25k attendance requirement, and lack of conference options you would see the non P5 schools forced to FCS. If the P5 all went to 16 or 18 teams there wouldn't be a home for these other schools.

The SEC is top heavy.
The entire conference is not Georgia or Alabama.

Outside of those 2 teams and LSU/Auburn/Florida the rest of the conference is just like college football.

Alabama has the best college football coach of all-time. Which is a cheat code. Alabama will take a step back when he retires.

Bluebloods have run college football forever.
USC in the 00s
Nebraska/Florida State in the 90s
Miami in the 80s.

The SEC as a whole is not running college football it’s Alabama and Georgia are good.
Cant blame the SEC,its just the greed in college sports plain n simple. Im sure this will continue

1641787097083.png

College Football Playoff expansion stalls as conference commissioners 'didn't even get close' to agreement
College Football Playoff expansion stalls as conference commissioners 'didn't even get close' to agreement

Not surprised. It hurts the SEC as it makes it harder for them to win a title and it rises the B1G to on par in terms of bids. It helps the B1G by essentially making it the Big P2. It hurts the ACC as they are now part of the little p3 or even p4. It adds to the SEC/B1G gap and helps keep the B12, P12, AAC level in terms of bids. It helps to keep the B12 relevant and from falling down to G6. It helps the P12 get bids but it also closes the gap with the AAC and MWC, bringing the top of the G5 closer. The AAC and MWC would battle it out for the auto bid. If one emerges they can call themselves p4. The MAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt get left out so nothing is good for them.

I would think 6 out of 10 conferences would be against it. Let the contract run out and then revisit. No advantage to expanding before 2026.

Looking at the last three real seasons:

SEC
2021 1/2 pot to 1/4 of a larger pot
2019 1/4 pot to 1/4 pot
2018 1/4 pot to 1/3 pot

B1G
2021 1/4 to 1/4
2019 0 to 1/4
2018 1/4 to 1/4
I think the SEC does not like this as it puts the B1G on par with the SEC in bids

B12
2021 0 to 1/6
2019 1/4 to 1/6
2018 1/4 to 1/12
Once Oklahoma and Texas leave the B12 will be like the Big East in the BCS era. I am sure the SEC and B1G do not want to share with the B12 by giving them an auto bid. The ACC shouldn't either as it keeps the B12 on par in perception. It is better if the B12 is seen as being G6 rather than P5.

ACC
2021 0 to 1/12
2019 1/4 to 1/12
2018 1/4 to 1/12
Going to 12 gets the ACC in every year but likely hurts overall. With 4 the ACC is the 3rd best conference. With 12 there is a big gap between SEC/B1G and the ACC isn't any better than the B12, P12, or even AAC.

P12
2021 0 to 1/12
2019 0 to 1/6
2018 0 to 1/12
P12 gets in every year but doesn't steal too much money. They raise their profile by actually making the playoffs.

AAC
2021 1/4 to 1/12
2019 0 to 1/12
2018 0 to 1/12
The AAC's top 3 schools are leaving but they would get just as many bids as the ACC. That bumps them into P6 conversation. None of the P5 want that.

Rest of the G5
With the AAC losing its bets teams the MWC might become the dominate G5 conference. Which would bump up their profile to arguably P6.

1. Bama
2. Michigan
3. UGA
4. Cincy
5. Ohio State vs 12. Pitt
6. Notre Dame vs 11. Utah
7. Ole Miss vs 10. Okie State
8. Baylor vs 9. Michigan State

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Oklahoma