I guess it’s all eyes on Oshae - HE'S STAYING | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I guess it’s all eyes on Oshae - HE'S STAYING

I don't understand why there is an April deadline. Why not declare and not have an agent and if your not drafted you can go back to college or sign as a free agent.
How about everyone is eligible and they can come back to college whether they are drafted or not. Expand the draft by another round and possibly, the team that drafts you retains your rights. Sort of a knock off on how baseball and hockey do it.

A millionaire doesn’t mean the same thing it did 10 years ago. You have to remember these kids have to pay agents, taxes, then buy a house, a car, hook up their friends and then you realize the million or two didn’t last all that long. It’s not about getting into the lottery and the guaranteed contract it’s all about the second contract. Most of these kids leave after a year and go down to g or d league and never are good enough to last in the nba. This is were the staff needs to hammer the facts into their skulls and disprove what agents and greedy family or friends are saying. How many second contracts have been signed by su players in the past ten years. How many of these kids are struggling or are out of the nba. The staff should be armed with these figures then weight what a degree is worth having to fall back on or a second or third year of development in college
Every once in a while a post comes around that is basically the complete opposite of my opinion, and therefore wrong in every way.

This was such a post.

My gut says test without an agent...leaving all of his options open...he seems pragmatic in that way

When did we last have someone 'test the waters' and not dive in?

How many second contracts have been signed by su players in the past ten years. How many of these kids are struggling or are out of the nba.

Just some friendly advice but it's helpful to know the answers to questions like that. I mean I'm sure you have a tiny supercomputer in your pocket so it's not like it's that hard. If you take a minute or two to do some research it lowers the risk of getting dunked on repeatedly

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some friendly advice but it's helpful to know the answers to questions like that. I mean I'm sure you have a tiny supercomputer in your pocket so it's not like it's that hard. If you take a minute or two to do some research it lowers the risk of getting dunked on repeatedly.
Classic

The draft next year is a lot weaker. Oshae might not get picked this year. Next year he could be lottery.

Says every fan about every draft class and potential early entrant.

A millionaire doesn’t mean the same thing it did 10 years ago. You have to remember these kids have to pay agents, taxes, then buy a house, a car, hook up their friends and then you realize the million or two didn’t last all that long. It’s not about getting into the lottery and the guaranteed contract it’s all about the second contract. Most of these kids leave after a year and go down to g or d league and never are good enough to last in the nba. This is were the staff needs to hammer the facts into their skulls and disprove what agents and greedy family or friends are saying. How many second contracts have been signed by su players in the past ten years. How many of these kids are struggling or are out of the nba. The staff should be armed with these figures then weight what a degree is worth having to fall back on or a second or third year of development in college

And how many of those kids that didn't get second contracts would have gotten a second contract if they had stayed another year? Maybe none, we'll never know.

How many of those same kids would have improved their draft position vs. not been drafted at all if they had stayed another year? Again we'll never know.

There is no "right" answer. There is potentially a right answer for each individual and it has a lot to do with their individual circumstances, which we really have very little insight into.

And the further fact that is always assumed, but not really something that can be proven is that all players that wash out end up destitute and down on their luck.

A kid like CMAC may be the perfect test case. He is unlikely to get a second contract and he obviously didn't stay in school long enough to get a degree. Was he better off taking the contract when it was available or should he have gone for the degree?

Maybe the contacts that he made while playing professionally will ultimately lead to whatever career he has when his playing career is over and lead him to a happy and fulfilling career path, even without a degree. Maybe he would have stayed in school gotten a garbage degree and not been able to find a job post graduation. There are no guarantees or absolutes, yet we like to act like there are when kids decide to leave early.

And finally none of the early entrant stats above bothered to include Melo. Yet some people (i realize it wasn't the majority) argued that Melo should have come back to get his degree.

Last edited:
I had to pay my own way through school. Worked 3 jobs blah blah blah. If someone came along and offered me 100k a year after my freshman year on a 3 year contract with the ability to work my way to a more lucrative contract based on my abilities I probably would have done it. You can lecture me on anything you want regarding that not being a lot of money but it would have been life changing for me at the time.

This is millions of dollars we are talking about. I don’t know why it is so hard to understand. These are kids and frequently there are financial issues within the families to consider. It happens in every program. Some kids come in with the intention on being one and done. Some play themselves there.

I swear it’s as if we push them out. Anyone who shows some ability, and all the talk is about them leaving.

Does this happen at Villanova or UNC where they miraculously have good players who aren’t freshmen?

I had to pay my own way through school. Worked 3 jobs blah blah blah. If someone came along and offered me 100k a year after my freshman year on a 3 year contract with the ability to work my way to a more lucrative contract based on my abilities I probably would have done it. You can lecture me on anything you want regarding that not being a lot of money but it would have been life changing for me at the time.

This is millions of dollars we are talking about. I don’t know why it is so hard to understand. These are kids and frequently there are financial issues within the families to consider. It happens in every program. Some kids come in with the intention on being one and done. Some play themselves there.

Hell I got offered $40k a month post graduation to do something completely different than what my degree was in and jumped at it because I was 21 and the thought of getting a check for $1000 every 2 weeks was completely bonkers compared to trying to scrounge up $20 every weekend for a 30 of Genny/Keystone and a garbage plate.

This is true, but for what its worth, there is talk from the draft "experts" that next year's class isn't as good as this years. Again, fwiw.

Next years class is way worse than the past few. It should lead to a bunch of borderline kids coming back for another year. Saw a Kentucky article about it that they are expecting 2 or 3 kids to come back that would be gone most years.

How about everyone is eligible and they can come back to college whether they are drafted or not. Expand the draft by another round and possibly, the team that drafts you retains your rights. Sort of a knock off on how baseball and hockey do it.

Exactly...why does the NBA have to make this so much harder for the kids than they have too?

I'm so gun shy from the past few drafts I'm half expecting Braedon Bayer to try and make the jump

We always want these guys to stay, but if you could make $100 in the Slovenian league, wouldn't you make the jump? ;)

[
And finally none of the early entrant stats above bothered to include Melo. Yet some people (i realize it wasn't the majority) argued that Melo should have come back to get his degree.[/QUOTE]

Were there really people arguing Melo should have come back?

[
And finally none of the early entrant stats above bothered to include Melo. Yet some people (i realize it wasn't the majority) argued that Melo should have come back to get his degree.

Were there really people arguing Melo should have come back?[/QUOTE]
Just the ones that wanted a repeat championship.

Hell I got offered $40k a month post graduation to do something completely different than what my degree was in and jumped at it because I was 21 and the thought of getting a check for $1000 every 2 weeks was completely bonkers compared to trying to scrounge up $20 every weekend for a 30 of Genny/Keystone and a garbage plate.

You were getting paid $40k a month at the age of 21??? Were you Tristan's personal assistant, by chance?

I swear it’s as if we push them out. Anyone who shows some ability, and all the talk is about them leaving.

Does this happen at Villanova or UNC where they miraculously have good players who aren’t freshmen?
Most of those "good players who aren't freshmen" return because they don't have a likely NBA landing spot available to them.

Last edited:
Most of those "good players who aren't freshmen" return because they don't have a likely NBA landing spot available to them.

Exactly.

Which is why our players should stay too.

HOFCeluck, don't know why that quote got attributed to you when I was responding to someone else. Sorry.

Exactly.

Which is why our players should stay too.
Almost all of our recent early entrants have been drafted, so that doesn't make sense to me.

Haha same here. Life hit me like a sledge hammer to the face when I had my tie sucked up into a vacuum hose on a 90 degree day. 4 year college degree brought me to enterprise rent a car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom