i hate replay | Syracusefan.com

i hate replay

it is so dumb to have these stupid replays when the absolute vast majority of refereeing is subjective calls like travels, charges, and yes jumpballs. and they only do it for a couple of minutes. and now they have opened up pandora box of overturning benign calls in championship games. terrible job by the officials.

almost as much as refs who swallow whistles sometimes and not others..

The replay that decided the game felt so wrong to me. The ball flew out of bounds in the direction the Virginia player swiped it. The refs then stopped the game for 5 minutes to see if it flicked the edge of a pinkey as it was flying out of bounds in a direction the Texas Tech player couldn't have possibly sent it.

That's not what we want instant replay for is it? Just feels like an arbitrary and incorrect use for it.

The replay that decided the game felt so wrong to me. The ball flew out of bounds in the direction the Virginia player swiped it. The refs then stopped the game for 5 minutes to see if it flicked the edge of a pinkey as it was flying out of bounds in a direction the Texas Tech player couldn't have possibly sent it.

That's not what we want instant replay for is it? Just feels like an arbitrary and incorrect use for it.
to me, the essence of games should always come back to what the "playground" version of the game was that we all played. there would be literally no one complaining if TT got the ball on that possession and then lost outright. we just wanted the chance for a player driven resolution, rather than a referee driven resolution.

for instance, the 6 ot game never should have happened in my book, the devendorf shot should have counted and it was an acceptable playground resolution to a close game that we ended winning anyway.

it is just so stupid to me that they are using reviews on these silly calls when so much of the game revolves on block/charge, hand checking, travels and other things that arent reviewable. its stupid nonsense.

it is so dumb to have these stupid replays when the absolute vast majority of refereeing is subjective calls like travels, charges, and yes jumpballs. and they only do it for a couple of minutes. and now they have opened up pandora box of overturning benign calls in championship games. terrible job by the officials.
Totally disagree

Did the refs simply not see the foul(s) that Guy committed, or did they not call the foul(s), as TT retained possession of the ball?

Their failure to call the foul(s) on Guy was a huge turning point, as Moretti is a great FT shooter.

I thought they let a lot go all over, but especially out on the perimeter. The problem is out there everyone can see it all as opposed to a packed in lane.

I hated it. I posted this in the game thread but when you want to get super technical about it, after the ball is poked, it should almost always touch the player in control's hand last as it leaves his or her grasp.

I hated it. I posted this in the game thread but when you want to get super technical about it, after the ball is poked, it should almost always touch the player in control's hand last as it leaves his or her grasp.

I’ve been arguing this my whole life. When you get it poked out of your hand then you’re usually the last to touch it a lot of the time. It’s just one of the unwritten rules. Team that had the ball retains possession. It’s like when you give the ball back to the team who possessed the ball because you didn’t want to call a possible foul.

if it is so important why don't they review every out of bounds call? basketball is a possessions game, why do only the possessions in the last two minutes warrant reviews?

Oh, I'm sure you can figure that out. You can be testy, but I know you're not stupid. :)

I agree! It seems contrary to the spirit of the rule. Shouldn't the player who hit the ball out of bounds be the guy that loses possession?

awesome argument
He's right. I want the calls called correctly. I hear the same nonsense about baseball and football. We all know from instant reply what the call should be. Get it right.

if it is so important why don't they review every out of bounds call? basketball is a possessions game, why do only the possessions in the last two minutes warrant reviews?
because that is the most crucial time in the game.

I agree! It seems contrary to the spirit of the rule. Shouldn't the player who hit the ball out of bounds be the guy that loses possession?

The old FIBA rule said the team that causes the ball to go out of bounds loses possession. It was an even bigger problem because all of a sudden everything was subjective. So they had to change it. "Last to touch" is much easier from a game standpoint.

Thing is, Moretti was fouled by Guy just before the OOB sequence.

Why is UVa rewarded for that?

I saw Guy's hand on Moretti's arm yes, but it was before Moretti established control. So, the no call there, or so I thought anyway, was the right one.

because refs suck. That is one of the reasons I like reply. They blow.
Oh, I agree that refs suck. But only one of their missed calls in that sequence was overturned.

because that is the most crucial time in the game.
oh come on. ask 100 coaches and 100 coaches will say that every possession matters. what credible rationale is there that calls should only be reviewable in the last two minutes? it is just more meathead nonsense. if a call is reviewable under two minutes it should be reviewable all game. what if it changes a possession in the first half and TT makes a 3? does that not matter to the outcome of the game? you have to do better than this.

looked to me that Moretti had the ball.

Even so, isn't what you described a loose ball foul?

Only if a disadvantage is created, and Moretti got the ball clearly a nano second later, so again, no call was right - just IMHO.

Only if a disadvantage is created, and Moretti got the ball clearly a nano second later, so again, no call was right - just IMHO.

Can anything that happens in a nano second really be clear? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom