I have NO problem with JBs tamtrum..., | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I have NO problem with JBs tamtrum...,

Yes, the board contrarian because I think, as well as many others, that JB was wrong for running on the court. The horror. And I agree with JB 99% of the time. Guess I'll stop defending his decisions when people complain about who plays, how much they play, using his slide rule, etc.
Yes, I think you're wrong about him running onto the court -- you think it cost us a chance at the game, and I simply don't care, on account of what it might mean for the future. Put to a vote, I'm confident I'd win.

The second scenario is to take the responsibility for the loss away from the kids and put it squarely on yourself. No one has to feel like they lost the game. The coach stood up for them, and took it on himself to accelerate the game result, but to take away the sting. This game now has an asterisk on it - for the players, coaches and the fans. Hell - I think the whole college hoops watching world has put an asterisk on it.

I'm pretty shocked that people here aren't seeing this. It's clear to me this is what he did. The headline on ESPN is about JB, not the team losing.

Todd Gack said:
Yes, I think you're wrong about him running onto the court -- you think it cost us a chance at the game, and I simply don't care, on account of what it might mean for the future. Put to a vote, I'm confident I'd win.

I know more people think it was the right thing. Doesn't mean those who don't are wrong either. They're opinions. The only fact is that it happened when we still had a chance to win.

I know more people think it was the right thing. Doesn't mean those who don't are wrong either. They're opinions. The only fact is that it happened when we still had a chance to win.

Fact: We still had a chance to win after the techs as well.

You're responding to a thread by a fellow moderator who says what JB did was right -- I'm trying to prove that those who disagree are wrong. You haven't made your case -- advantage Jake.

djcon57 said:
Fact: We still had a chance to win after the techs as well.

True. But a much less chance at 5 points vs 2 with 10 secs to play.

Todd Gack said:
You're responding to a thread by a fellow moderator who says what JB did was right -- I'm trying to prove that those who disagree are wrong. You haven't made your case -- advantage Jake.

Nor have you proved yours to me or others that feel he was wrong.

And while it's rare for me and Jake to disagree (seems like we never do watching a game together), in this case I disagree with him. Not the end of the world.

Nor have you proved yours to me or others that feel he was wrong.

And while it's rare for me and Jake to disagree (seems like we never do watching a game together), in this case I disagree with him. Not the end of the world.
You enjoined -- and didn't make a convincing case.

(EDIT: I took out the reference to Jake because I don't know him from Adam.)

Viscerally, me and probably everyone else here were right there with JB when he exploded. Was it a calculated move on his part? Nothing looked too calculated there. If one his players had done that in that situation JB would run him off. Might it get us a late call specifically against Duke later this season? Maybe.

The shocking part is that JB has never been tossed in a regular season game in his entire career. Heck - George Hicker gets tossed just sitting in the stands.
If my memory serves me, this is the second time he has ever been tossed.

Todd Gack said:
You enjoined -- and didn't make a convincing case. (EDIT: I took out the reference to Jake because I don't know him from Adam.)

Who's Adam?

It's an expression -- Adam was the first dude.
Also, square your position that we didn't get screwed tonight by the post by JarHeadJim in which you wrote, "Ditto. We win 8 out of 10 vs then on a neutral court with straight refs."

Todd Gack said:
Also, square your position that we didn't get screwed tonight by the post by JarHeadJim in which you wrote, "Ditto. We win 8 out of 10 vs then on a neutral court with straight refs."

Huh? Where did I say we didn't get screwed? I'd like to see that post.

Todd Gack said:

You may have also missed the thread I started right after the game that we got screwed.

Huh? Where did I say we didn't get screwed? I'd like to see that post.
Bilas, paraphrasing: It was the right call. You, exact quote: "Acceptance. Bilas is right."

Todd Gack said:
Bilas, paraphrasing: It was the right call. You, exact quote: "Acceptance. Bilas is right."

In reference to JB shouldn't have gotten the technicals and that those ended the game. That has been almost the whole discussion. Not whether we got screwed or not, because we did. And unless Bilas changed his mind, I heard him say it was a block. As did V and shiulman.

I have really mixed feelings on the ending. I think 99% that we lose the game after that play especially with JB so upset. He's usually the picture of calmness in these last second situations and the team reflects it. I think we still had a time out - should or would he have called his last TO to yell at the ref or save it till after the free throws? We would have had to foul - Grant and Xmas both had 4 fouls. Grant fouled out in the last few seconds - even if Duke missed both ft's would we automatically get the rebound? Odds are that Duke makes at least one ft- the best case scenario in that 1 % chance would be us scoring 3 points to tie the game. Who thinks we would have won in OT with the foul trouble we had? What would a larger OT loss have accomplished espec1ally with a game Monday against the Terps? I'm just asking. I'm not smart enough to have any answers.Bees is right that we did have a chance no matter how remote but I think that chance was at the most to tie the game, not win it.

I do hope JB wanted to do what he did with an intentional longer term purpose and it works to promote more consistently called games regardless where played. I'm certain he's going to be the talk of the sports media and a controversial and polarizing topic again for a while. I don't think this is all entirely good. Let's beat those Terps .

JB took the game out of his players' hands, plain & simple. IMO, anyone who thinks that the outburst was, in any way, pre-meditated is giving JB way too much credit as far as making that decision on the fly. I think it was 100% spontaneous, reactionary anger & emotion just as I felt watching in my living room. Think back to the Hood/Xmas block with 13.2 sec left in the Dome. Though not as egregious (I think it was correctly called a block), K could've lost it & gotten a T, let alone 2, but he didn't &, as a result, Cook's taking a three at the buzzer to potentially win. Without the outburst, SU's down by 2 & can trap/steal the inbound...as we just did to beat NCST 2 games prior...or take their chances with Duke shooting 50% at the line as they had done all game. This may "send a message" or "raise awareness" for possible calls in the future, but I'd much rather have the headlines about us playing through the call & at least having a chance on the final possession...& JB took all possibility of that away.

In reference to JB shouldn't have gotten the technicals and that those ended the game. That has been almost the whole discussion. Not whether we got screwed or not, because we did. And unless Bilas changed his mind, I heard him say it was a block. As did V and shiulman.
Just read through this thread. Yes, you never said it wasn't a bad call -- and my point that Boeheim's hysterics were worth it hasn't been refuted.

Todd Gack said:
Just read through this thread. Yes, you never said it wasn't a bad call -- and my point that Boeheim's hysterics were worth it hasn't been refuted.

Fair enough. And my point that they weren't worth it and cost us a chance at still winning, hasn't been refuted. That's what's great about opinions, nobody is wrong.

Fair enough. And my point that they weren't worth it and cost us a chance at still winning, hasn't been refuted. That's what's great about opinions, nobody is wrong.
True enough -- but when you go to stab the king (in this case Jake, who started this thread about JB and what he did) you better kill him.

I have no problem what Coach did and quite frankly I love the emotion.

My question is where we're our assistants to restrain him? Are they that afraid of holding him back? Yes it would have been a mute point but no one was trying to get him reeled in.

Maybe would have only cost us one T?​
Your point is muted, and I am a jerk..

I actually think people on both sides of this debate are right. I'm OK with what JB did - I'm certain he never would have done the same thing in an NCAA tournament game (when it would have meant our season - heck, he could have lost it numerous times in the last several years with terrible calls by the refs in the games that knocked us out). But here he lost it after numerous calls built up ending in the deciding one. I think he felt the need to let his emotions go and that it would do no long term harm to our team.

But I also don't disagree with those who would have preferred he got after the ref in a way that did not draw a T, which he has been doing well for many years. And we would have had a possible shot to win the game. Still a long shot but a shot nonetheless. They are not wrong in feeling that way. Heck, who knows, maybe I'll feel that way looking back on it in years to come. And it did take away a chance for the players to win the game. But that's not something they will hold against him- they know he's got their back.

The worse thing about this whole debate is that we would not be having it if the refs did their jobs correctly.

Ultimately, I think this game will light the fire even brighter for this team. The main reason they have been down lately, along with BMK being hurt, is a shooting slump. Shooting slumps end and I have a feeling this one is going to end soon. Let's Go Orange!

From that video I just realized that Parker never even left his feet - he just ran right through Gbinije.

Also, the guy whom CJ ran into moves his feet a split second before CJ hits him.

How on earth did CJ make that shot? That was an incredible layup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom