I have waited to post | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I have waited to post

You should care. When assistants are assigned targets and spend multiple years building relationships that way more often than not end up without a commitment then something is off. Its not like Gmac came to SU with a solid coaching resume. In his defense this is the first Cycle he has had to recruit without issues. There is still alot of time left and Girard is a great win so lets see how we end up.

And Gerry’s targets were Girard and Goodine with Stewart still out there. Who has he missed on this cycle?

If Akok goes to the NBA that’s still his fault?

Stop telling stories.

But, last year's team IS this year's team. We were supposed to reap benefits from having all five starters back. This team looks like they've never met each other.
My two cents. When you achieve the sweet 16 and you have everyone back you dont alter your starting line-up. I would have gone with Marek over Hughes. At this point im going with Chew Euro TB JC OB.

Hughes 1st off bench and yes he can play the 2

Sid for Chew

Marek at the 5 sometimes for small ball.

Buddy RS

Post Frank

FH TB M OB Chewy

Jalen subs at the 1 and 2.

And Gerry’s targets were Girard and Goodine with Stewart still out there. Who has he missed on this cycle?

If Akok goes to the NBA that’s still his fault?

Stop telling stories.
Goodine was born Orange. Bernie could have landed him.
Great job on Girard
The Deuce is still in play
Stewart would be as good a recruiting job as any ever.
Lets see how this story ends...

Goodine was born Orange. Bernie could have landed him.
Great job on Girard
The Deuce is still in play
Stewart would be as good a recruiting job as any ever.
Lets see how this story ends...

You’re helpless and totally uninformed.

Dude. If this was March and we were wrapping up another season just like last year, then yes criticism more than warranted. IT'S NOVEMBER. WAIT TO SEE WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS
Pearl i dont always agree with you but i respect your opinion and passion. I too think the world of our HOFC. It is however ok to criticize him and the staff for what you have to admit were two very poor games. We all hope that the team will improve but it is 100% fair to critique played games. JB deserves our support but that doesn't mean that we cant express disappointment with these last two games.

You’re helpless and totally uninformed.
Actually i have been extremely well informed and closer to the program for the last 40 years than you will ever be.

Pearl i dont always agree with you but i respect your opinion and passion. I too think the world of our HOFC. It is however ok to criticize him and the staff for what you have to admit were two very poor games. We all hope that the team will improve but it is 100% fair to critique played games. JB deserves our support but that doesn't mean that we cant express disappointment with these last two games.

Except you aren’t just criticizing those two games. You’re using it as another crusade to criticize McNamara and recruiting when we have 4 guys signed for next year already.

Actually i have been extremely well informed and closer to the program for the last 40 years than you will ever be.

Ok buddy. You certainly don’t post like you know what’s going on anymore. That’s for sure.

Except you aren’t just criticizing those two games. You’re using it as another crusade to criticize McNamara and recruiting when we have 4 guys signed for next year already.
Ok buddy. You certainly don’t post like you know what’s going on anymore. That’s for sure.
Im not as close the last 3 years. Prior to that i was very close. Tell me Buddy since you are so wired what is the scoop?

Im not as close the last 3 years. Prior to that i was very close. Tell me Buddy since you are so wired what is the scoop?

Maybe read and do some research. That will help ya.

Im actually criticizing the entire staff. Especially JB who had his head handed to him in NYC. As to Gmac im on record that so far he hasn't won many recruiting battles but that this is the first cycle that he hasnt been hampered with sanctions and other negatives. I also give him huge props for JG. Lets see how he does with Akok and Stewart and how the team does when Frank returns.

Do yourself a favor and stop acting like a petulant child.

I’m calling you out for continuously ignoring facts most people are aware of who read about recruiting.

Like the fact that Akok might skip college altogether and you still think we have a shot at him when it’s real easy to figure out we are probably out on him.

Dude. If this was March and we were wrapping up another season just like last year, then yes criticism more than warranted. IT'S NOVEMBER. WAIT TO SEE WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS

I see where you're coming from, as the season is young and who knows how it plays out. I think what's frustrating to a lot a fans is just how discombobulated the offense looked in these two games. Even in the Morehead St. game, there were signs of same. We have been a poor offense the past several years, with many of the same issues and traits continuing to rear its ugly head. So, when improvement in offensive flow, purpose, spacing, shot selection, etc. hasn't really evolved/progressed, and is just seemingly more wash, rinse, repeat, it's darn frustrating to watch. For me, it's why I utter to myself, you got to Farging kidding me! Really, this is still our O! Ugh!

JB's systemic ISO, pick and roll offense with post players that are no legitimate threat to roll/score, makes this offense stagnant and predictable.

Besides all of us here hoping that somehow the ball goes in the basket at a much higher clip for us in the future, I ask with all due respect, what have you seen that last 3 games that makes you feel any different/better about our offense where there's potential on a consistent basis for better flow, purpose, spacing, shot selection vs. just more of the same 'ol same 'ol?

I see where you're coming from, as the season is young and who knows how it plays out. I think what's frustrating to a lot a fans is just how discombobulated the offense looked in these two games. Even in the Morehead St. game, there were signs of same. We have been a poor offense the past several years, with many of the same issues and traits continuing to rear its ugly head. So, when improvement in offensive flow, purpose, spacing, shot selection, etc. hasn't really evolved/progressed, and is just seemingly more wash, rinse, repeat, it's darn frustrating to watch. For me, it's why I utter to myself, you got to Farging kidding me! Really, this is still our O! Ugh!

JB's systemic ISO, pick and roll offense with post players that are no legitimate threat to roll/score, makes this offense stagnant and predictable.

Besides all of us here hoping that somehow the ball goes in the basket at a much higher clip for us in the future, I ask with all due respect, what have you seen that last 3 games that makes you feel any different/better about our offense where there's potential on a consistent basis for better flow, purpose, spacing, shot selection vs. just more of the same 'ol same 'ol?
What you just said is why it’s personal towards me that draws the ire.
As you just basically said what I say but won’t get the same response because the poster is just sick of hearing it from me. When the points made are just ignored and it becomes the same posters are complaining instead of what is said.

I may be loud and annoying but my opinions are way closer to reality than you trying spin all frustration into the Syracuse.com messages.
I call it the way I see it and never am out of line. I am positive when it’s warranted and I am negative when its warranted.

Did we play poorly in NY? No doubt! But anyone who is throwing in the towel, declaring us a bubble team already and declaring the problems unfixable
should really give some thought to backing away from the computer and maybe not watching a few games because your perspective is unjustifiably negative.

1. We have been missing our PG and senior leader. Will his individual contributions magically solve all our issues? Of course not, but I think this will be a “sum of the parts being greater than the individual contribution situation.” We WILL get a bump from Franks return. Only the most negative/pessimistic people would believe otherwise.

2. We have two star players who have not played to their proven abilities to date. Notice I didn’t say they haven’t played to their potential. That would imply we simply weren’t seeing improved play from them. I think we haven’t seen TB or OB play to the level that they have consistently performed at in the past. Again we WILL see improvement here, maybe substantial. Why would you choose to believe that two proven performers suddenly suck and are going to continue to suck.

3. We are relying heavily on three new players. Their performance has been uneven so far, but we have seen signs that they can each make important contributions. I choose to believe that their play will become more consistent and when Frank is back they won’t be required to do as much which should make it easier to raise their level of play.

I get that our play so far has been disappointing, but there is plenty of reasonable reason to expect things to improve significantly. If some of you want to throw in the towel after game 4, go ahead, but please go somewhere else with your doom, gloom and negativity. The seasons not over and we haven’t seen enough to draw conclusions on what this season will be.

good post.
hey, I'm frustrated as hell myself - nyc was incredibly disappointing and I've never been one to applaud the team's offense of late... that said, it's simply too early in THIS season to make any kind of useful assessment of THIS team

Did we play poorly in NY? No doubt! But anyone who is throwing in the towel, declaring us a bubble team already and declaring the problems unfixable
should really give some thought to backing away from the computer and maybe not watching a few games because your perspective is unjustifiably negative.

1. We have been missing our PG and senior leader. Will his individual contributions magically solve all our issues? Of course not, but I think this will be a “sum of the parts being greater than the individual contribution situation.” We WILL get a bump from Franks return. Only the most negative/pessimistic people would believe otherwise.

2. We have two star players who have not played to their proven abilities to date. Notice I didn’t say they haven’t played to their potential. That would imply we simply weren’t seeing improved play from them. I think we haven’t seen TB or OB play to the level that they have consistently performed at in the past. Again we WILL see improvement here, maybe substantial. Why would you choose to believe that two proven performers suddenly suck and are going to continue to suck.

3. We are relying heavily on three new players. Their performance has been uneven so far, but we have seen signs that they can each make important contributions. I choose to believe that their play will become more consistent and when Frank is back they won’t be required to do as much which should make it easier to raise their level of play.

I get that our play so far has been disappointing, but there is plenty of reasonable reason to expect things to improve significantly. If some of you want to throw in the towel after game 4, go ahead, but please go somewhere else with your doom, gloom and negativity. The seasons not over and we haven’t seen enough to draw conclusions on what this season will be.
I know the defense will be fine. As JB wont stand for it and his track record on defense is not to be questioned . This team won’t give up 80 points a lot or we will lose those games.
My problem is the offense has completely sucked. We shot under 40% in both games. Our 3 Point % was in the teens but because we don’t scheme anything to help the offense it’s going to be a clogged toilet the whole season. As our bigs give us nothing and we will rely on Howard/Brissett/Carey/Battle to make their tough shots. That isn’t going to work well in conference play. We don’t score easy enough that is the frustration.

I'm hopeful like all here. I guess, for me, I just wish I could see where specifically the flow and purpose of the offense seems better. If there was good flow, spacing, shot selection, etc. but the shots just weren't dropping, I'd have more faith (I'll just call it) that in the end we'll be good. Good in the sense that we won't hover again at the .500 conference mark and relegated to play on the first day of the ACC Tourney.

It just seems, at least as of today (and how it has been for the past few years) that we are going to have to rely on some exceptional one on one play and tough contested shots not only to drop, but to drop on a consistent basis, as the routinely easy baskets (not just once in a blue moon) have been very far and few between.

I’m calling you out for continuously ignoring facts most people are aware of who read about recr

Like the fact that Akok might skip college altogether and you still think we have a shot at him when it’s real easy to figure out we are probably out on him.
Peace guys we all bleed Orange. Im just frustrated.

I may be loud and annoying but my opinions are way closer to reality than you trying spin all frustration into the Syracuse.com messages.
I call it the way I see it and never am out of line. I am positive when it’s warranted and I am negative when its warranted. You can dislike it that is your right.
If you think it’s unending maybe for the past 4 years and these four games it’s been warranted. My god everything I say is based in logic and the opinion is pretty clearly warned to not be taken as fact. Your style is basically equivalent to burying your head in the sand and pretending nothing is wrong.

See my problem is I am polarizing. I don’t care though and won’t change. Instead of debating what I say you make what I say about me and ignore the points. That is fine and you can do that and attack me it doesn’t make you right. By defending the wall you aren’t right. It’s been 4 medicore regular seasons in a row and we were Ranked this year to start the year. That criticism for these 2 games are completely warranted and JB would probably say so himself.
Unless players personal lifes are being attacked criticism on the court is fair game.
Alsacs, I do agree with some of your concerns about the JB’s lack of creativity when it comes to offense, but I think you’re heavily overreacting to a very small sample size, and the-sky-is-falling mentality is hyperbolic. I very much disagree with you when you insist that Frank’s return won’t help the offense that much. I don’t have the patience here to enumerate the argument why he will help a lot but suffice it to say we’re missing our quarterback. Is he a cure-all? No, but having our experienced senior PG will help with ball movement, spacing and overall offensive flow. Of course we need to give him some time to shake off the rust after sitting out for nearly two months and needing to get re-acclimated. JB will figure this out by ACC play, but yes, we’re going to have to temper our expectations that his team might not gel and cohere fully til sometime in January. Hopefully we won’t suffer too many losses before then. Take a deep breath, and be patient as the coaches and players figure this out. That said, you have every right to criticize the play in the two games at MSG, but I think it’s unfair and an overreaction to assume that’s what the team will look like for the rest of the season.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the locker room when the coaching staff ordered the team to shoot 11-50 from outside this weekend.

Do they write that on the blackboard before each game begins, or do they remind everyone during timeouts?
The coaching staff needs to prepare the team to play with the intensity needed to win against teams that are not totally outclassed by our talent. The coaching staff needs to install an offense that creates some open looks. Someone needs to be added to the coaching staff that can teach our big men some post footwork. The coaching staff cannot shoot for the players, but they sure as hell can put the players in a better position to succeed.

The coaching staff needs to prepare the team to play with the intensity needed to win against teams that are not totally outclassed by our talent. The coaching staff needs to install an offense that creates some open looks. Someone needs to be added to the coaching staff that can teach our big men some post footwork. The coaching staff cannot shoot for the players, but they sure as hell can put the players in a better position to succeed.

Our big men need more than footwork practice. We need to recruit big men who are also capable of shooting. Even if it's just a 15 footer from the line. Our guys now are barely capable of finishing at the rim, let along being a threat that might pull a Bol Bol away from the center to allow the other guys slash to the hoop. And we really need these types of players when we get zoned. I'm tired of seeing that space near the free throw line empty, when everyone knows that's the spot to beat the zone.

Can’t run nba iso without nba iso talent. It’s that simple.

Speaking of Bowden/Olsen/Dean Smith/etc, are there any examples of a legendary hoops coach riding into the sunset on a high note in the last 50 years? I can’t think of one. All those other schools were in a tough position just like we are. The coach earned the right to go out on his terms but that also means we have to watch while his empire crumbles. Really tough to see him go out like this.
Big John ran Georgetown into the ground before he turned it over to Larry E. to finish the job. He gave up on recruiting as if he thought that he was such a good coach that he could mold anyone into a star. The program never recovered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom