I like DM | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I like DM

It's a rebuild.

People are dissapointed, but talk of ultimatum's is ridiculous.

Bull. UL was a rebuild too. Strong has had less time than DM, but he's recruiting stud QBs, sharing BE titles, and is involved in tiebreakers for the BCS championship. We are 1-6 in a very bad conference without a bowl game for the 8th time in 10 years.

Bull. UL was a rebuild too. Strong has had less time than DM, but he's recruiting stud QBs, sharing BE titles, and is involved in tiebreakers for the BCS championship. We are 1-6 in a very bad conference without a bowl game for the 8th time in 10 years.
You are going to be very disappointed in the short term if you expect us to do what Louisville can in their program building process. Where is our Papa John to buy the toys the kiddies demand?

But a rational view of DM's first 3 years is NOT good.

Anything else and I think we need to seriously consider our options before we become Duke North of the ACC.

I know everyone will hate what I am about to write, but a "rational view" of the Syracuse Orange football program is that Syracuse has a much greater chance of becoming Duke than becoming Virginia Tech, FSU or Clemson.

Your insistence that Syracuse become a perennial Top 25 team or bust is simply not rational. I am not saying that it should not be a goal, but it will certainly not be the reality.

I really dislike the premise that a red shirt frshamn who is athletic that marrone recruited could not possibly unseat Nassib for the starting qb. I guess the question is if Kinder and Hunt are better athletes than Nassib and people are writing the possibility off of Nassib losing the job, how bad are these guys and what does that say for our recruiting? Kinder will be on his third year and Hunt his second. People speak of the qb position as if it requires 3 years of a solid understanding of quantum physics at Syrause. Why cant we find someone better or develop someone better? we are not talking about beating out Andrew Luck here

Nassib is not a good qb. His success is built on taking zero risk and throwing high percentage short passes, which is fine when you have a good o line and running game, which we don't.

It's just flat out depressing that we can't recruit a qb who in a year or two of being on campus cant be better than Nassib

You are going to be very disappointed in the short term if you expect us to do what Louisville can in their program building process. Where is our Papa John to buy the toys the kiddies demand?

You saying they are pulling a USC? Not sure what you mean.

So this is my big fear about Coach Marrone - time and time again I feel like he has a wait until later mentality. I don't even think it's just within the game, I think this happens within the season. How many times has our gameplan been to get into a slugfest and think we'll have an opportunity to claw out a win in the 4th Q? That's not a plan! We could have played for the win against Buttgers and moved to 2 wins of bowl eligibility with 7 games to go, etc. But we decided to wait for what? A better opportunity to win later?

This is not a mentality I can personally understand, and yet it's a mentality that clearly guides our team - keep it close and win late. That's not a long term avenue for success. The fact that we had as much success with it as we did two seasons ago bucks the odds. I want to see a team that plans to win games from the opening kickoff. I'm sorry if it bothers people, but I do not see that from Marrone's teams, and I am not convinced that "more time" or even "more talent" can fix this problem.

Flame on.

Say what you want about Mitch, but he took an extremely underperforming offesnsive line and turned them into a workable unit. Sure their technique was completely jacked up, but he got them to offer ARob some semblance of protection.

I guess I agree that Browning got that line to be "workable." The unit was putrid for years prior to his arrival. That being said, even under Browning, the line was still woeful. The reduced sack numbers were due to the fact that Syracuse rarely ever threw the ball, and when it did, they were in max protect 95% of the time (the offense that year made this years team look like Leach's air raid). Not to mention the fact that they were blocking for three NFL caliber RBs (Brinkley, Fiametta and Carter). Also, i think Cam Dantley handled the QB duties most of that season (Poor ARob had PTSD at that point).

Do they do that with college coaches? It's a pretty good idea but I"m not sure I've ever heard of it being done. Even if it was guaranteed, though, just come to an agreement on what is a fair AAV for the contract but keep buyout at a level that's not prohibitive.

Would be great except what depths of shady would a majority of college coaches go if their pay check depended on how many games they won? There are enough that have a hard time playing by the rules with guarenteed money.

I know everyone will hate what I am about to write, but a "rational view" of the Syracuse Orange football program is that Syracuse has a much greater chance of becoming Duke than becoming Virginia Tech, FSU or Clemson.

Your insistence that Syracuse become a perennial Top 25 team or bust is simply not rational. I am not saying that it should not be a goal, but it will certainly not be the reality.

The only thing I dont like is you saying it certainly will not be a reality.

The cards are stacked against us... but they were stacked against us in 1984 of becoming a consistent top 25 team too. And it happened for a solid 15 years after that.

College football is cyclical.

in the 90's USC, UGA, Texas for the most part, Oregon, Boise, Clemson, LSU, even Bama were all pedestrian for the better part of the decade.

Look at Miami, Fla St, Nebraska, Tenn, even Fla now.

You saying they are pulling a USC? Not sure what you mean.
Louisville is recruiting well now because they have all the good things going for them that we do, but they have much better infrastructure and facilities due to PJ's $, and they have more recent success than we do. They can sell a program that is probably perceived as better than ours in most kids' minds at the moment, AND they can wow them with bling during the kids' visits. We are playing catch-up, and I am content with the way that our recruiting is trending.

Strong is essentially getting back on track after missing a mortgage payment. We are trying to save up after a foreclosure.

That he was familiar with/to already when he was a coach at Florida. Didn't exactly have to manufacture recruiting inroads which is part of what made him such a good hire.

The only thing I dont like is you saying it certainly will not be a reality.

The cards are stacked against us... but they were stacked against us in 1984 of becoming a consistent top 25 team too. And it happened for a solid 15 years after that.

College football is cyclical.

in the 90's USC, UGA, Texas for the most part, Oregon, Boise, Clemson, LSU, even Bama were all pedestrian for the better part of the decade.

Look at Miami, Fla St, Nebraska, Tenn, even Fla now.

Good points. Perhaps "certainly" was too strong of a term.

That is simply revisionist history.

Somewhat agree. I think we all knew the defense was going to be worse, but we hoped the offense would be better and that it would, at the very minimum, have us at 6-6 and bowling again. I believe that was the common thought/expectation of the season.

In my mind, we didn't meet expectations, but it doesn't mean it was the worst season we've had and we need to get moving on a replacement. It just means that the whole program got a big 5 game kick in the nuts that it needs to learn from and use as motivation next year.

Like I said, I have concerns, but I think an overhaul right now has more of a chance of sending us backwards.

As to the QB discussions, it's obvious that Nassib knows everything about this offense, every check, etc. But if he continues to overthrow every single deep ball, even when the WR is open, and occasionally not even notice the wide open deep guy (happened a few times this year), Marrone's likelihood to give one of the younger guys more time goes way up. Offense would be handcuffed either way, might as well get some much needed development time for the new guy. Oh and see if his athleticism at least helps move the offense forward.

Is it? Can we take a look at the prediction thread before the season?
Yeah, we can - myself and two others predicted 6-6 regular season. No one predicted lower than that. So...

This discussion comes up about once a week. The bottomline is;

1. It is a fact we were 1-6 in the BE.
2. It is a very strong opinion shared by 99% of the free world that the 1-6 came in the weakest BCS conference in the country.
3. A pretty strong argument can be made that this years BE may be the weakest BCS conference ever.

There is no hiding from the fact that we were 1-6 in a horrible conference.

PS: I do NOT believe DM should be fired and should see his 5 year contract through completion.

That is simply revisionist history.

Not really. Many national reporters (including Mike Tirico and Phil Steele) along with Las Vegas had said they expected SU to take a step back this year.

Obviously most of us here may have thought differently, but what do we know...

Yeah, we can - myself and two others predicted 6-6 regular season. No one predicted lower than that. So...
selection bias

in the preseason, you get a lot more "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

but there was a lot of people thinking 5-7. mostly based on nassib and the departed defense

Do you have the link Zach?

Thats a joke... and im sorry. just confused why you wouldnt link it.

Are you really comparing the situation at L'ville to what Marrone walked into here?

Wow.

Louisville is recruiting well now because they have all the good things going for them that we do, but they have much better infrastructure and facilities due to PJ's $, and they have more recent success than we do. They can sell a program that is probably perceived as better than ours in most kids' minds at the moment, AND they can wow them with bling during the kids' visits. We are playing catch-up, and I am content with the way that our recruiting is trending.

Strong is essentially getting back on track after missing a mortgage payment. We are trying to save up after a foreclosure.

If Strong were at SU and Marrone at UL, we would have better recruits than UL. Let's not pretend that the facilities are preventing us from going 4-3 in this crap conference. Yes it is keeping us from being Top 25 but not Top 50.

Are you really comparing the situation at L'ville to what Marrone walked into here?

Wow.

Louisville was 2-12 in the BE the two years before Strong took over. They had a lot of Petrino kids defect while Kragthorpe was there, and Kragthorpe didn't leave Strong with much to play with. Which is why most of the players getting PT this year were kids that Strong recruited. They haven't sucked for as long as SU has. And they have nicer bling. But in terms of talent on the team, Marrone took over a better situation.

This discussion comes up about once a week. The bottomline is;

1. It is a fact we were 1-6 in the BE.
2. It is a very strong opinion shared by 99% of the free world that the 1-6 came in the weakest BCS conference in the country.
3. A pretty strong argument can be made that this years BE may be the weakest BCS conference ever.

There is no hiding from the fact that we were 1-6 in a horrible conference.

PS: I do NOT believe DM should be fired and should see his 5 year contract through completion.

Not saying that this is a good thing for marrone... but the team seemed to quit on him after the UCONN game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom