I like the over, but I might be delusional... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I like the over, but I might be delusional...

its not like the level of play to get to 5-6-7-8 wins for SU is a huge leap.. yea we need to play better but 5-8 wins or 8-5 wins is often just a few bounces in a game thats less than how well you played.. make a couple FGs and we pick up 2-3 wins last year pretty easily. The issue still is do we have a game changer to make plays to win games that we probably should have lost and we havent had that in a while.. ED for his ups and downs clearly made plays for us but who else.. Tucker has been great but how many how did he do that plays.

Its kinds like comparing Eric Dickerson to Barry sanders.. one hit home runs and was great.. one turned negative plays into home runs and was great. Teams have had QBs make some plays that killed us at the QB level over and over the last few years.. Shrader did it a few times last year but not at the level thats been done to us..

its not like the level of play to get to 5-6-7-8 wins for SU is a huge leap.. yea we need to play better but 5-8 wins or 8-5 wins is often just a few bounces in a game thats less than how well you played.. make a couple FGs and we pick up 2-3 wins last year pretty easily. The issue still is do we have a game changer to make plays to win games that we probably should have lost and we havent had that in a while.. ED for his ups and downs clearly made plays for us but who else.. Tucker has been great but how many how did he do that plays.

Its kinds like comparing Eric Dickerson to Barry sanders.. one hit home runs and was great.. one turned negative plays into home runs and was great. Teams have had QBs make some plays that killed us at the QB level over and over the last few years.. Shrader did it a few times last year but not at the level thats been done to us..
If we even had 1 Wide Receiver who was a playmaker last year we would have gone bowling.
It's time for someone in that group to step up and be the man.

last year we couldn't throw a forward pass most of the time, our special teams were complete crap, game management was beyond horrific, we threw the Rutgers game away by starting Tommy(and by installing a stupid gameplan that left Tucker mostly out of it) and we still won 5. Schedule gets harder this year(look at the lineup of QBs we face, definitely daunting) and the DL is a big question mark. However, we go from a total stiff of an OC to a legit one, we bring in a stud QB coach, an actual special teams coach(and a good one to boot) and it sounds like DB will be getting some actual game management assistance. Louisville, Wagner, U Conn, UVA, Purdue and either FSU at home or BC on the road to get to 6. Bet at least 5 cents on it.

If we even had 1 Wide Receiver who was a playmaker last year we would have gone bowling.
It's time for someone in that group to step up and be the man.
Dino has been to 1 bowl game in 6 years. Is there any other team with such a record of not qualifying for a bowl this poor in ACC? Perhaps Duke? I don't know. Anyway, very tough schedule, but Dino has to get 6-6...bowl game is mandatory IMO.

Tucker might not be here in 2023...he could opt out for NFL. You can't give an extension to Dino without a bowl game in 2022. Is there any team in P5 which has 1 bowl apperance in 7 years if we fell short again in 22'?..I haven't checked, but doubt it...But you also can't let him twist in wind for one last year of his contract cause this impacts recruiting. How do you sell recruits that you will be the head coach?

So lets go all out for bowl in 2022...its a must that bowl is achieved

And we bring back the second best Running Back in the Nation from last year, most of our Oline that got him those yards, a second-year QB who runs as well as any QB in the nation, a new O-Coordinator and QB Coach from a prolific offensive team, and all of our Defense except the front line. Why do our chances suck so bad compared to others?

Why do our chances suck so bad compared to others?

I think you answered your own question; "all of our Defense except the front line".

Our young defensive line has to stay healthy and play beyond expectations. We will struggle if we can't stop the run or get pressure on the QB.

Beyond that, our kicking game is weak. I was at the spring game and don't recall one kickoff getting into the endzone. Our punt game is weak too. These things matter. We need to do better by September.

If we stay healthy, I think we will be a better team than last year, but our opponents are projected to be better too. The schedule is tough with three games in a row against preseason top ten teams; NC State #10, at Clemson #5 and Notre Dame #6. Add #18 Pitt and # 13 Wake and I can see why prognosticators have us at 4 wins. I'm hoping for 6.

I like that we have a bye before the NC State game, but it's a tough road.

The Louisville game will be a good indicator for 2022.

We need to stay healthy. Every injury impacts our depth.

Go Orange.

Dino has been to 1 bowl game in 6 years. Is there any other team with such a record of not qualifying for a bowl this poor in ACC? Perhaps Duke? I don't know. Anyway, very tough schedule, but Dino has to get 6-6...bowl game is mandatory IMO.

Tucker might not be here in 2023...he could opt out for NFL. You can't give an extension to Dino without a bowl game in 2022. Is there any team in P5 which has 1 bowl apperance in 7 years if we fell short again in 22'?..I haven't checked, but doubt it...But you also can't let him twist in wind for one last year of his contract cause this impacts recruiting. How do you sell recruits that you will be the head coach?

So lets go all out for bowl in 2022...its a must that bowl is achieved
Yes. Duke didn't go to a bowl for 28 years in a row. Then didn't go for 17 years in a row.

Wake went 30 years between bowls. Then went 13 years between bowls.

And Kansas hasn't been to a bowl since 2008.

So you are wrong on everything you asked about.

That said, I would really like to see Syracuse make a bowl game this season as well.

They actually are more accurate than not...all they care about is winning bets...purely objective, no bias or rooting involved.

Which is why I like to see how we do "against the spread".

The spread is set each week by impartial "experts" who take all of the current issues into account and generally only care about the outcome of the game.

We were 8-4 AGT in 2021.

Which is why I like to see how we do "against the spread".

The spread is set each week by impartial "experts" who take all of the current issues into account and generally only care about the outcome of the game.

We were 8-4 AGT in 2021.

and I believe we were 8-1 ATS before we completely shat the bed the last 3 games

Yes. Duke didn't go to a bowl for 28 years in a row. Then didn't go for 17 years in a row.

Wake went 30 years between bowls. Then went 13 years between bowls.

And Kansas hasn't been to a bowl since 2008.

So you are wrong on everything you asked about.

That said, I would really like to see Syracuse make a bowl game this season as well.
I was talking about last 7 years. Thought that was clear. Wake Forest has actually given a good accounting of themselves recently.

I'm really just asking for bare minimum. In this day and age you have to get at least 6 wins...if you don't, you really can't recruit well. Recruits want to play for winning programs. Dino has to get us to 6 wins in 2022. Tough schedule..but its possible.

The last 2 normal years, we’ve won 5. I love the over. If it was 5, I wouldn’t bet.

They should all be .5s. Ties suck.
The .5's always get you...the wise guys know what they are doing. Yeah, they make mistakes...much fewer than fans who get emotionally invested though...its why it is foolish to bet on any team you are rooting for... I only bet the U/O when I see one that just appears fairly far off...that is uncommon. You can sometimes get one NFL team or two that even the .5 won't kick you...

Betting on college games is very, very dicey now. Transfers, NIL, kids entering portal midseason cause they aren't happy with role... totally unpredictable. Better off betting bitcoin...thats how rough CFB is... I stay with NFL.

Last edited:
Is Dino hot seat if win 4? I mean BC is going to be a 8-9 win team w jurk back and the game on the road very late. We never ever do well in nov

I just wonder what the plan is if we fall on our face w 4 wins?
Almost certainly will be fired with 4 wins or less...as far as replacement..UVA guy?...someone outside? I don't know. There would be a change...to who? No idea...

I think 4 wins would be too little to survive. Certainly 3 wins would end things. Almost by necessity. Recruiting tanks with too many losing seasons. Recruits aren't sold anymore on hope...or playing time for that matter...everyone sells playing time...recruits need to see something of progress.

7 or 8 wins, Best Starting lineup we have had in a long time. Key injuries could derail but you could say that about most teams in the ACC. (sans Clemson maybe a couple others)
Sorry for the optimism.

Almost certainly will be fired with 4 wins or less...as far as replacement..UVA guy?...someone outside? I don't know. There would be a change...to who? No idea...

I think 4 wins would be too little to survive. Certainly 3 wins would end things. Almost by necessity. Recruiting tanks with too many losing seasons. Recruits aren't sold anymore on hope...or playing time for that matter...everyone sells playing time...recruits need to see something of progress.
I think 5 wins no bowl is the level I worry about

If you keep winning 5 games the coach and his terrible game management comes into play. Dino has been a very bad game manager. If that continues a decision will have to be made.

I don’t know anything about the Virginia guys but I assume JW isn’t going to fire Dino to replace him w guys who haven’t been HC before.

I’m hoping we get 7 and it’s moot but I worry about Dinos management in game. Just brutal for past 3 years

If you keep winning 5 games the coach and his terrible game management comes into play. Dino has been a very bad game manager. If that continues a decision will have to be made.

I don’t know anything about the Virginia guys but I assume JW isn’t going to fire Dino to replace him w guys who haven’t been HC before.

I’m hoping we get 7 and it’s moot but I worry about Dinos management in game. Just brutal for past 3 years
5 wins with an All America running back is not very good. Especially if that RB opts out for NFL after this season. But when do you cut the cord on not making more that one bowl? 7 years?...9 years?...11 years? Yes, that number is arbitrary...depends on the school...hey, at some major P5 programs you get job..win 7 then win 6...both bowl qualifiers... and you are immediately fired after 2nd season...the pressure to win big is high. Small Bowls don't count...only CFP or major Jan 1 bowls

There has to be a limit time wise...hope is not a strategy.

It would be easier to just go 6-6 and take that question off the table.

Last edited:
5 wins with an All America running back is not very good. Especially if that RB opts out for NFL after this season. But when do you cut the cord on not making more that one bowl? 7 years?...9 years?...11 years? Yes, that number is arbitrary...depends on the school...hey, at some major P5 programs you get job..win 7 then win 6...both bowl qualifiers... and you are immediately fired after 2nd season...the pressure to win big is high. Small Bowls don't count...only CFP or major Jan 1 bowls

There has to be a limit time wise...hope is not a strategy.

It would be easier to just go 6-6 and take that question off the table.
That's where I am. I feel like people were irrationally negative in season last year and are equally irrational positive right now. I was actually happy JW didn't sack Dino without giving him the resources to exercise every single excuse if it's going to work or not at Syracuse. However, this is the year now for me. If we don't win 6 games Dino has to go. Not sure how a reasonable person can see any other option.

At some point you need to grind 6 wins together. We grind losses together with crazy decision making in game.

That's where I am. I feel like people were irrationally negative in season last year and are equally irrational positive right now. I was actually happy JW didn't sack Dino without giving him the resources to exercise every single excuse if it's going to work or not at Syracuse. However, this is the year now for me. If we don't win 6 games Dino has to go. Not sure how a reasonable person can see any other option.

At some point you need to grind 6 wins together. We grind losses together with crazy decision making in game.
I don't know, I feel like watching a QB not be able to surpass 65 yards passing in 3 consecutive games in 2021 and feeling negative about it is highly rational. For people to still post here and choose to spend their Saturday afternoons watching that was probably the irrational part.

I don't know, I feel like watching a QB not be able to surpass 65 yards passing in 3 consecutive games in 2021 and feeling negative about it is highly rational. For people to still post here and choose to spend their Saturday afternoons watching that was probably the irrational part.

Yeah I get that and wasn't saying the negativity wasn't justified. Just saying that people were convinced Dino was done in November last year. Now that we brought in castaways from UVA (not exactly Alabama) suddenly the offense will hum like Air Coryell.

I think it's reasonable to think the offense will be better than 21 but we still are staring at a situation where we are at 5 wins with a flawed QB, a departing RB and zero WRs. I just don't know where that puts us.

The simple solution is to win and these guys unlock something in the Dome that is exciting and wins us games. Oczam's razor would suggest it's better but still sub 6 wins

Yeah I get that and wasn't saying the negativity wasn't justified. Just saying that people were convinced Dino was done in November last year. Now that we brought in castaways from UVA (not exactly Alabama) suddenly the offense will hum like Air Coryell.

I think it's reasonable to think the offense will be better than 21 but we still are staring at a situation where we are at 5 wins with a flawed QB, a departing RB and zero WRs. I just don't know where that puts us.

The simple solution is to win and these guys unlock something in the Dome that is exciting and wins us games. Oczam's razor would suggest it's better but still sub 6 wins
Yeah it's going to be close. Something between 4-6 wins is most likely. Having almost no experience on the DL is going to make things so difficult to get off the field. Just our luck that our back 7 is as good as I can remember in ages and we may not be able to stop the run at all which will compromise everything.

If you don't think JW hasn't seen that, and part of the reason for Anae, and Beck coming in. They have been calling plays for years together. Dino needs to be the Administrator, and let his coaches run the show.

Agree totally about his game management, even though Dino thinks he's really good at it. They were supposed to hire an analytics expert, but not sure I ever saw an announcement that they actually did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom