I like the over, but I might be delusional... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I like the over, but I might be delusional...

That's where I am. I feel like people were irrationally negative in season last year and are equally irrational positive right now. I was actually happy JW didn't sack Dino without giving him the resources to exercise every single excuse if it's going to work or not at Syracuse. However, this is the year now for me. If we don't win 6 games Dino has to go. Not sure how a reasonable person can see any other option.

At some point you need to grind 6 wins together. We grind losses together with crazy decision making in game.
Agree completely...if you can't get to 6 wins, something is wrong...it just is...some might not ever accept this though.

...interesting story just out. Not sure if you saw it. I hope it bodes well for all non cheating programs...Saban really slammed Texas A & M today. Said they "bought" every recruit and that this college football model is not sustainable

Really hope there is an impact from Saban comments. Look at it this way. All this talk about 5 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins...if Texas A & M guts the sport this way, all these topics like 6 wins vs not 6 wins are the equivalent of reorganizing the deck chairs on the Titanic. Truly don't matter.

Texas A & M, Texas, Miami, USC and a few others are currently destroying college FB as we knew it

Dino is coming back unless we absolutely crap the bed and go 1-11 or 2-10. You don’t bring in our OC and QB coaches if there weren’t reassurances
Agree. Regardless of what I think should happen, I suspect Beck and Anae could have found other opportunities with more security if they didn't get reassurance this wasn't just a one year deal.

6 wins cannot possibly be the bar against this schedule. This division has arguably the best group of QB's (as a whole) as any division in the country. And then you add ND and Purdue in Non-Con. And then add in the fact you are working with a new offensive coordinator, QB coach, and special teams coach

Syracuse has made MAJOR moves in this off-season to position itself for long-term success. It has started to act like a big boy program with its recent hires. You don't scrap the whole thing if you don't get to 6 wins against this schedule.

You have to give this exceptional new staff time to perfect itself with this roster...at least another year if Cuse makes it to 5 wins.

If the staff and players only win 4 this year, and they are not competitive, then talk about making changes then.

Is Dino hot seat if win 4? I mean BC is going to be a 8-9 win team w jurk back and the game on the road very late. We never ever do well in nov

I just wonder what the plan is if we fall on our face w 4 wins?

If SU wins 4 games Dino will be fired. There's no ability to bring back a coach with 1 winning season in 7 years at this level, none.

6 wins cannot possibly be the bar against this schedule. This division has arguably the best group of QB's (as a whole) as any division in the country. And then you add ND and Purdue in Non-Con. And then add in the fact you are working with a new offensive coordinator, QB coach, and special teams coach

Syracuse has made MAJOR moves in this off-season to position itself for long-term success. It has started to act like a big boy program with its recent hires. You don't scrap the whole thing if you don't get to 6 wins against this schedule.

You have to give this exceptional new staff time to perfect itself with this roster...at least another year if Cuse makes it to 5 wins.

If the staff and players only win 4 this year, and they are not competitive, then talk about making changes then.

Not to be that guy but this staff hasn't coached 1 game together yet, not sure how you could label them "exceptional". I think we all like bringing in the UVA guys and they seem like massive upgrades but in 2022/2023 not sure you can sell a fanbase on bringing back a HC who has 1 winning season in 7 years if SU is again under .500 this season. Attendance was already abysmal for multiple games last season, add in a major price hike for most seats this season and your at a point where SU has to get to 6 games or blow it up.

Ok, i'll give it to 2024 until we figure out a way to get back to the winning season of 2018 (which was the first one since 2013 under the great Scott Shafer).

I'm sure Anae was given financial support that coming up to Syracuse isn't a one year contract. It doesn't mean they won't clean house if we win 4 wins. You cannot keep this charade going if they can't figure out the wins in this conference.

Syracuse is not leaving the ACC. They have to figure out how to win in this gauntlet or they should just gut the spending in football and figure out how to win the same amount of games at a fraction of the cost. Something's gonna give this year.

Agree. Regardless of what I think should happen, I suspect Beck and Anae could have found other opportunities with more security if they didn't get reassurance this wasn't just a one year deal.
I'm sure they got multiyear deals. Common in these hot seat situations. No other way to attract coaches. Otherwise, why risk it. Then if something does happen you have at minimum a year of security

Simple question. Who is our QB this year? Will there be a change? If we don't see improvement 4 games and Dino is looking for a job. I know what Tucker can do, but have to have some passing to open things up for him.

Props to OP for making a relatable thread title that gives me A laugh every time I see it

Simple question. Who is our QB this year? Will there be a change? If we don't see improvement 4 games and Dino is looking for a job. I know what Tucker can do, but have to have some passing to open things up for him.

It starts and ends with Shrader. There really isn't another option with Lamson out for the season. Morgan and Villari are not realistic options.

Not to be that guy but this staff hasn't coached 1 game together yet, not sure how you could label them "exceptional". I think we all like bringing in the UVA guys and they seem like massive upgrades but in 2022/2023 not sure you can sell a fanbase on bringing back a HC who has 1 winning season in 7 years if SU is again under .500 this season. Attendance was already abysmal for multiple games last season, add in a major price hike for most seats this season and your at a point where SU has to get to 6 games or blow it up.
I was referring to the new staff hires who have proven themselves at a peer institution

I was referring to the new staff hires who have proven themselves at a peer institution

I get that but there prior success at UVA doesn't mean it will work here. I like the hires but we have no idea how the O will look this year.

Ok, i'll give it to 2024 until we figure out a way to get back to the winning season of 2018 (which was the first one since 2013 under the great Scott Shafer).

I'm sure Anae was given financial support that coming up to Syracuse isn't a one year contract. It doesn't mean they won't clean house if we win 4 wins. You cannot keep this charade going if they can't figure out the wins in this conference.

Syracuse is not leaving the ACC. They have to figure out how to win in this gauntlet or they should just gut the spending in football and figure out how to win the same amount of games at a fraction of the cost. Something's gonna give this year.
Yes. As I said, I agree that 4 wins will make everyone think twice (as it should), but I think 5 wins should be the bench mark (for this year only)

Agree completely...if you can't get to 6 wins, something is wrong...it just is...some might not ever accept this though.

...interesting story just out. Not sure if you saw it. I hope it bodes well for all non cheating programs...Saban really slammed Texas A & M today. Said they "bought" every recruit and that this college football model is not sustainable

Really hope there is an impact from Saban comments. Look at it this way. All this talk about 5 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins...if Texas A & M guts the sport this way, all these topics like 6 wins vs not 6 wins are the equivalent of reorganizing the deck chairs on the Titanic. Truly don't matter.

Texas A & M, Texas, Miami, USC and a few others are currently destroying college FB as we knew it
Saban is just butthurt because he's been able to get away with anything he wanted for years and now everyone is allowed. Pretty hilarious how many players have already come out in the last few hours with what Bama offered them.

Yes. As I said, I agree that 4 wins will make everyone think twice (as it should), but I think 5 wins should be the bench mark (for this year only)
Well...at most schools 5 wins is a bench mark to get fired. Certainly in year 7...you have to get 6 and a bowl. Which is not that hard...Pitt, BC...northeastern programs... do it every single year. Lets not turn 6 wins into climbing Mt Everest . It isn't...just set a goal of getting 6 wins and a bowl. Start there. Then advance from there

Last edited:
I think 4 is spot on, if luck goes their way injury-wise they can get 6 but I think 2018 used up enough for a decade…

Considering the brutal schedule which is not an excuse, it really will be difficult. I think we get 5 or 6 wins with 5 being most likely. But 4 is definitely a possibility depending on how injuries play out. Really love the staff changes and I think Anae and Beck are going to help the passing game a lot even if we haven't improved ourselves much at QB or WR. The loss of Lamson makes the W/L prediction even more risky in my opinion as I think he was the better depth QB and who knows if Shrader gets injured and has to miss some games.

But i'm not very thrilled with what we have done in the portal regarding the positions that were really more of a critical need. We did pick up players that can help but most are at positions we were more solid at.

Positions of more critical need were DL, C or OT, WR, Possibly TE.
DL - Got diddly squat after losing Roscoe, Kingsley, Black, McKinley and Harper. Not good. Very thin on experience and strength. And sure someone could still be added later, but right now we have been unable to get anybody. Doesn't look good. This DL situation has been an issue for a really long time now. We were saved quite a bit in 2021 because of the extra COVID year, otherwise last year would have been a disaster on the DL.

C/OT - Got nada. Adding one of these pieces would have made things much more manageable. Really need to hope everyone at least starts the season healthy.

WR - Got CJ Hayes who had limited experience and seems more likely to be depth thus far. Got D'Marcus Adams who could help as a deep threat that we really need but has little experience as well. Also unsure Shrader can hit on a deep ball with any kind of consistency. Wish we could have brought in somebody at WR with some sort of proven production. I can understand a WR being kind of difficult to bring in as we don't have a proven passer but I thought the promise of the new scheme with great coordinators would have been enough of a selling point to bring in a starter here considering we don't have much proven at the WR position right now.

TE - Got nothing here other than if Villari happens to work at TE some which I don't think is completely out of the question. But less likely now that Lamson is injured though. I think Mang will surprise some and Mahar could as well but really that is all we have. Depth is an issue.

its not like the level of play to get to 5-6-7-8 wins for SU is a huge leap.. yea we need to play better but 5-8 wins or 8-5 wins is often just a few bounces in a game thats less than how well you played.. make a couple FGs and we pick up 2-3 wins last year pretty easily. The issue still is do we have a game changer to make plays to win games that we probably should have lost and we havent had that in a while.. ED for his ups and downs clearly made plays for us but who else.. Tucker has been great but how many how did he do that plays.

Its kinds like comparing Eric Dickerson to Barry sanders.. one hit home runs and was great.. one turned negative plays into home runs and was great. Teams have had QBs make some plays that killed us at the QB level over and over the last few years.. Shrader did it a few times last year but not at the level thats been done to us..

Agreed. Better offense, more scoring, and 7 - 8 wins could happen.

Need to beat peer programs if you want to get to bowls. Period.

Agreed. Better offense, more scoring, and 7 - 8 wins could happen.

Need to beat peer programs if you want to get to bowls. Period.
That has to be the thought process this year. Not sure how we are scoring more though with the same personnel coming back? I love GS as a qb but his ability to throw is not going to change w new coordinators. I would feel alot better w this UVA tandom w Devito who could throw.

That has to be the thought process this year. Not sure how we are scoring more though with the same personnel coming back? I love GS as a qb but his ability to throw is not going to change w new coordinators. I would feel alot better w this UVA tandom w Devito who could throw.

• Better OC / QB coach
  • Better schemes / game planning / in-game adjustments as a function of better coaching
  • Improved play calling
  • Proven guy [Beck] running play calling during two-minute drills at end of halves
  • Incremental improvement from Shrader
  • WRs who actually run planned routes instead of just improvising
  • Better OL depth than last year
  • And a great running game.
Force teams to account for the run, make them pay for overcommitting with the RPO / passing game. More trick plays due to creative use of personnel, like what UVa has done under Anae / Beck. Move the sticks better, score more points.

Shrader is never going to be Drew Brees, he just has to be better / a little more effective as a passer than last year.

In Anae / Beck I trust to make it all happen.

Last edited:
Their system doesn't rely just on throwing. Keep in mind their pass concepts are basic. Simple reads and checks. It will make the QB more efficient. Being a better passer does not necessarily make you a higher scoring team.

Their system doesn't rely just on throwing. Keep in mind their pass concepts are basic. Simple reads and checks. It will make the QB more efficient. Being a better passer does not necessarily make you a higher scoring team.
I agree with that. Literally being able to throw the ball was an issue for GS last year. He threw it like a halfback on the option play. It doesn't cut the mustard especially without a WR who can go and get it.

Shrader throwing when he knew where he was going was not that bad.. Shrader not throwing to option 1 his mechanics broke down. Shrader throwing when scrambling to save plays was at least ok and at times not bad.

Some of his best passes came in pretty tight windows, but it was usually boom boom throw stuff.

Our peer groups have all found away to get QBs at the same time, some our NFL types.. Thats really the difference in the programs. Wake got a guy to play 6 yrs in a time when 1-2 happens for many teams.

Elite rBs when thats your offense is easier to shut down that Elite QBs or Elite Wrs. And we dont need NFL talent to be good at WR just 2-3 pretty good ones.

I agree with that. Literally being able to throw the ball was an issue for GS last year. He threw it like a halfback on the option play. It doesn't cut the mustard especially without a WR who can go and get it.
We all know Shrader didn’t throw the ball well last year. That’s not breaking news. It doesn’t mean we forgot when we don’t mention it every chance we get. It’s ok to mention other factors that contributes to offensive productivity.

• Better OC / QB coach
  • Better schemes / game planning / in-game adjustments as a function of better coaching
  • Improved play calling
  • Proven guy [Beck] running play calling during two-minute drills at end of halves
  • Incremental improvement from Shrader
  • WRs who actually run planned routes instead of just improvising
  • Better OL depth than last year
  • And a great running game.
Force teams to account for the run, make them pay for overcommitting with the RPO / passing game. More trick plays due to creative use of personnel, like what UVa has done under Anae / Beck. Move the sticks better, score more points.

Shrader is never going to be Drew Brees, he just has to be better / a little more effective as a passer than last year.

In Anae / Beck I trust to make it all happen.
Don’t understand why people think it needs to be this sophisticated air attack. I think people look at last years numbers by Armstrong and think that was the norm. It’s not, they couldn’t run the ball well and their wr’s were the strength of the offense. Armstrong threw for 2100 yards the year before ( not much better than GS last year). Armstrong would have entered the draft if NFL teams thought he was a lights out passer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom