I like Wildhack a lot but the AD's office overall is clueless | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

I like Wildhack a lot but the AD's office overall is clueless

No it is still the Yankees. The history of the TEAM. Our game is celebrating the history of the STADIUM, which no longer exists.
Splitting hairs, in my opinion.

Like I said, I'd rather drive the 4 1/2 hours to see this game in Syracuse than the 45 minutes it would take me to get to the Bronx. I just think that the game was a fait accompli. SU could have absolutely handled it better by announcing it a year or so ago. Wildhack made things worse by promising 7 home games only to go back on that soon after.

I understand some love NYC any chance they can get. However for those coming in from outside the NYC metro it is a major expense. The weather could suck on gameday, sightlines suck and the grass was dangerous and unpredictable.
Driving up 81 on Saturday, the weather could suck, the parking sucks, the Dome concessions suck, the usher looks at me funny, the pee troughs suck ……………………………………….. ……..everything sucks

Last edited:
Driving up 81 on Saturday, the weather could suck, the parking sucks, the Dome concessions suck, the usher looks at me funny, the pre troughs suck ……………………………………….. ……..everything sucks
Zactly lol

Driving up 81 on Saturday, the weather could suck, the parking sucks, the Dome concessions suck, the usher looks at me funny, the pre troughs suck ……………………………………….. ……..everything sucks
Zactly lol

I can understand why that’s not the primary message but more communication if that’s an issue might be helpful. And I’ve read a lot of your work on the basketball board - posting sports takes might not be for you.
Please tell me what the value would be in making that ANY part of the message? Money is not an issue, it’s an opportunity. You can question my comments in regard to personal opinions, but this is elementary level stuff man…

Last edited:
Let me preface this comment by saying that I prefer SU playing Pitt at the Dome this year and that I like as many home games as possible. I'm not going to Yankee Stadium for the Pitt game, but what I think some people are missing is why the game was moved in the first place. The first college football game that Yankee Stadium ever hosted was Pitt and Syracuse in 1923. This is the 100th anniversary. SU recently playing in the Pinstripe Bowl and choosing a different opponent are irrelevant.

SU knew this was coming. Some can argue that we're playing a neutral site game in Atlanta in '25 so we shouldn't play one this year. The game with Tenn was chosen knowing that the Pitt game at Yankee Stadium was a strong possibility.
I appreciate history but I'm missing the historical draw here. Nobody cares about Yankee Stadium's place in college football. You have to go back to ND with Rockne, Blanchard and Davis and the Fordham 7 blocks of granite...this is the stadium creating a faux legacy as a college football venue.

The other problem in my opinion is the PITT/Cuse rivalry isn't that fierce, and neither program is that relevant in the modern football world. For me this shows SU as a program that needs to, and will, chase payouts above anything else. Partnering with a facility is trying to stake a claim to something it's not - a football church.

In fairness, you know you're going to get a night of first rate entertainment with Bruce.

SU football is a crapshoot.
I would say its been about 80% or more of the games have been pretty entertaining in the dome the last 5+ yrs.. Losing doesnt make it less so to me. Just did we have a shot to win.

That's a diff argument and I agree. Yankee Stadium blowwwws for football. That's definitely a yuck factor to this. However, if the game was in a real football stadium i'd complain less especially since it's a November game when the attendance peeters out anyway (usually due to the performance on the field and lack of interest).

I've gone to the Ireland game for the ND/Navy and BC/Tech games. It's a fantastic take. Someone with a historical wink and a nod should have considered SU/ND for the Ireland game to have the Orange vs the Irish. It's a fantastic event and worthy of a loss of a home game for sure (since it's usually played in August when it's splendid in Dublin at the Aviva)
Yeah, and why not schedule it for July 12th while we're at it? If you're going to do it, may as well go all in.

I appreciate history but I'm missing the historical draw here. Nobody cares about Yankee Stadium's place in college football. You have to go back to ND with Rockne, Blanchard and Davis and the Fordham 7 blocks of granite...this is the stadium creating a faux legacy as a college football venue.

The other problem in my opinion is the PITT/Cuse rivalry isn't that fierce, and neither program is that relevant in the modern football world. For me this shows SU as a program that needs to, and will, chase payouts above anything else. Partnering with a facility is trying to stake a claim to something it's not - a football church.

I could be wrong but I see it more as Yankee Stadium trying to honor their history and sought out SU and Pitt more than the other way around. They've been trying to promote themselves as a college football venue since they came up with the Pinstripe Bowl. It's not a college football venue. I'd rather not see a football game there ever again. I was just presenting answers to the "why" and "when" of the game.

From the Yankees perspective they should have tried for Notre Dame vs Army instead. They played 22 times (yearly 1925-46) in the old stadium and once in the new stadium thus far. You don't need the 1st opponents to have a commemorative game. Wouldn't it be better to have THE college football game from Yankee Stadium? The Gipper speech, one of the games of the century, etc. That IS part of college football history. It actually made Yankee Stadium relevant in the college football world. Then during the broadcast say the 1st game was actually Cuse vs Pitt.

ND could have bought out or moved the CMU game (which gives ND 2 weeks to prep for tOSU), and then played Army on 11/11 in Yankee Stadium. Army has 2 FCSs this year so they could have used a game. One of those is on 11/11.

Oh and you get close to 50k vs close to 30k. Not to mention, guess who played the 1st ever game in the New Stadium? It was Notre Dame vs Army. Everything makes sense for that to be the game. Yet the ball was dropped. George would be very angry.

Last edited:
I always like your posts - I know you cannot reasonably believe SU athletics will rise and fall on a home field advantage in one football competitive game.

If it's UConn like you said that's even less of a lift, we will beat them on Geno's front yard.

Don't you think we have given away quite a few home games over the last 20 years or so? I mean, aren't we giving up a home game to play Pitt at Yankee Stadium next year? We've moved ND games down there that could have been home games once or twice (under Dr. Darryl, at a minimum). I feel like we already do way too much of this for a team of our history and brand name appeal.

Don't you think we have given away quite a few home games over the last 20 years or so? I mean, aren't we giving up a home game to play Pitt at Yankee Stadium next year? We've moved ND games down there that could have been home games once or twice (under Dr. Darryl, at a minimum). I feel like we already do way too much of this for a team of our history and brand name appeal.
I can actually rationalize the MetLife games a bit. I don’t know that USC, Notre Dame or even PSU would have come to Syracuse and, as ill advised as it may have been, the marketing initiative of “New York’s College Team” was a big part of the push. Living in the Southern Tier at the time it was just a bit longer drive and I actually enjoyed the chance to spend a day in a great football and tailgating venue.

Moving the Pitt game to Yankee Stadium is indefensible. At least based on what we have been told publicly.

Where we are as a program and desperately needing to string together winning seasons and bowl games, moving Pitt out of the Dome made that game more difficult. I could care less about the discussion of attendance, money, etc. Job #1 is wins. If we were a perennial 9-3, 8-4 team it would be different. But we aren’t and have a better chance of beating Pitt in the dome.

Where we are as a program and desperately needing to string together winning seasons and bowl games, moving Pitt out of the Dome made that game more difficult. I could care less about the discussion of attendance, money, etc. Job #1 is wins. If we were a perennial 9-3, 8-4 team it would be different. But we aren’t and have a better chance of beating Pitt in the dome.
Well said.

No arguments here

Job #1 is wins. So Dino…..

As they say you hit the nail on the head.
We need to schedule to win, and get to a bowl.
The people on this board have said that for years.
Winning attracts fans for attendance, losing causes low turnouts at games.
Maybe someday, the University will understand.

Wasn't sure where to put this one, but count Dan LeBatard as not a fan of Wildhack:

Wasn't sure where to put this one, but count Dan LeBatard as not a fan of Wildhack:

Heard this yesterday. Huge fan of his show. He did not hold back lol, Dan had a pretty ugly exit at ESPN and sounds like JW might have been at the root of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom