I may get killed for this, | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I may get killed for this,

IMO - TE is a far superior COLLEGE PG to MCW. MCW is a far superior NBA prospect as a PG than TE will be. The biggest difference for the NBA is size and speed. For college, a guy that understands what a coach wants, is always in control, and is teammates 1st, is a better option, usually.
I think that's fair. Maybe Ennis ends up being a Mark Jackson type in the NBA?

I think that's fair. Maybe Ennis ends up being a Mark Jackson type in the NBA?

Eh, we'll see. Needs to develop his game more. As of now, I don't expect that Ennis will ever be a starter in the NBA, but we'll see what happens in a couple years.

Would be interesting if we had Ennis last year (without MCW). Not only would Ennis have had more offensive weapons to work with, but he's shown the ability to score (which MCW struggled with at times). Not only would have defenses had to respect Ennis' ability to shoot, but with Triche/CJ/Southerland the lane would have been open for more driving lanes. Ennis has the uncanny ability to put guys in the right spot to make a shot or score, it would have been something to see him with Triche and Southerland. At times last year MCW tried to play hero ball and it killed momentum, I don't think Ennis has that in his DNA. Obviously on the defensive side, he'll never be MCW (it will be really hard for anyone to live up to that), but he's pretty good.

Eh, we'll see. Needs to develop his game more. As of now, I don't expect that Ennis will ever be a starter in the NBA, but we'll see what happens in a couple years.
Yeah. I didn't necessarily mean he'd be on that level, just that he has a similar style, not real athletic but savvy with good court awareness.

Would be interesting if we had Ennis last year (without MCW). Not only would Ennis have had more offensive weapons to work with, but he's shown the ability to score (which MCW struggled with at times). Not only would have defenses had to respect Ennis' ability to shoot, but with Triche/CJ/Southerland the lane would have been open for more driving lanes. Ennis has the uncanny ability to put guys in the right spot to make a shot or score, it would have been something to see him with Triche and Southerland. At times last year MCW tried to play hero ball and it killed momentum, I don't think Ennis has that in his DNA. Obviously on the defensive side, he'll never be MCW (it will be really hard for anyone to live up to that), but he's pretty good.
I find it interesting that throughout this thread different people have had completely opposite opinions. You say Ennis has fewer weapons this year when compared to last, while others say he has more this year. I tend to agree with you. I think Grant and Fair are better this year, but there were more guys that could score last year. It would have been interesting to see Ennis with last year's contact rules versus MCW with this year's.

Is it just me or does it seem that Ennis runs plays while MCW seemed to discover plays? I have a lot more confidence this year that the team knows what it's doing on offense -- and this with a freshman PG. Who'da thunk! That style and confidence will pay its best dividends at the end of tight tournament games yet to come.-VBOF

VaBeachOrFan said:
Is it just me or does it seem that Ennis runs plays while MCW seemed to discover plays? I have a lot more confidence this year that the team knows what it's doing on offense -- and this with a freshman PG. Who'da thunk! That style and confidence will pay its best dividends at the end of tight tournament games yet to come.-VBOF

Excellent post and I couldn't have said it better myself. MCW was great at creating offense around him and I think that's why at times he looked out of control. This years offense does look a lot more set and more plays are being ran than last year where it was an elite point guard creating plays out of the 3-5 offensive sets we ran.

Excellent post and I couldn't have said it better myself. MCW was great at creating offense around him and I think that's why at times he looked out of control. This years offense does look a lot more set and more plays are being ran than last year where it was an elite point guard creating plays out of the 3-5 offensive sets we ran.

Definitely agreed. Boeheim has done wonders with this year's team in terms of half-court offensive sets. I haven't seen us run so many half court sets in a long time. We can just do so many different things off of Cooney running off countless screens.

MCW was depended on to make things happen a lot more often than Ennis has been so far. And I think that's a good thing for us that we're finally starting to make it easy on our guys in the half court.

I find it interesting that throughout this thread different people have had completely opposite opinions. You say Ennis has fewer weapons this year when compared to last, while others say he has more this year. I tend to agree with you. I think Grant and Fair are better this year, but there were more guys that could score last year. It would have been interesting to see Ennis with last year's contact rules versus MCW with this year's.
Fair is Fair. While Cooney is a better shooter than Triche; Triche was a much better overall scorer (obviously Triche has way more experience, I expect Cooney to be really, really good by the time he's a senior). Grant is a stud athlete but he's not necessarily someone you can feed it to and let him go to work; at this point in the season much of his offense comes from putbacks and at the foul line. Then there's Southerland, a dead-eye shooter with "in the gym range". Rak looks much improved this year, but until we get consistent points from our big men, I'd say last year there were more offensive weapons. I mean think about it, Fair is our go to guy this year, and he was the #3 option last year (I'm taking Ennis and MCW out of the equation right now). I love Cooney but he hasn't shown consistently that he can get to the rim yet and create for himself, Triche was great at that. Again, we're comparing 2 seniors in Southerland and Triche to 2 sophomores in Grant and Cooney, so it's not a totally fair comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom