I ride with Dino... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I ride with Dino...

Babers gets 2 more years whether we like it or not. Also, any AD worth their salt always has a short list of potential hires in his coat pocket, always. If he doesn’t, he isn’t doing his job
Nonsense. He gets one more year to get this turned around. A lot of programs would make a change this year.

Nonsense. He gets one more year to get this turned around. A lot of programs would make a change this year.

*almost all programs would make a change

This is where we are playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers!!

If JW rides with Dino for 2 more years and they are both sub .500, he should be gone as well.
Lol, this is just silly. While football runs the show believe it or not a majority of an ADs time is probably not dedicated to football.

5 years in we know what we have. If you cannot sell your vision and program to recruits it becomes a death march. I think the University stepped up in several areas to support Dino. Would love to see him turn this around, but the odds may be better with Lotto.

I was listening to ESPNU on XM radio this morning and they were not kind to us. In a nutshell they think we should move to the AAC and Dino can’t coach. That’s the perception of our football program. JW needs to start canvassing indeed for coaching candidates or something. We are in rough shape.

I was listening to ESPNU on XM radio this morning and they were not kind to us. In a nutshell they think we should move to the AAC and Dino can’t coach. That’s the perception of our football program. JW needs to start canvassing indeed for coaching candidates or something. We are in rough shape.

theres a good reason to make a change, radio guy thinks so

Again, not every single poster on this board wanted him extended. There were several of us that were concerned after the ND game and how much ED meant. Was ED the overall reason for the 10 win season? Was TD a viable replacement for ED? Those were the questions some of us were concerned about with the extension.

The ones who didn’t were on crazy sauce. Was TD a viable replacement? Lol. That opinion looks very good in the rear view.

Dino absolutely deserved an extension. TD absolutely looked like a guy who could extend what the offense could do. You take a kid who can throw like that 10 out 10 times here.

Anytime someone attempts to attribute the success of an entire team to one player it makes me think they don’t understand football.

theres a good reason to make a change, radio guy thinks so

Thats the national perception of our program and it is similar to all the sane fans on this forum. You and your pro Baber’s buddies aren’t going to win this one just like the pro coach P, GR, SS guys didn’t win. The writing is on the wall, I can’t help it if you can’t read.

Ruin is your chosen word. However, if you want to look at the facts, facts are that Dino has had a losing season four out of five to date. Therefore, it is fair to say at this particular stage, the 10 win season was clearly an outlier.

He did things in each of his first three years that only Marrone and P had done in 20 years. The case for an extension wasn’t that year solely.

Why? True Freshman QB recruiting? All 8 of the freshman on D not being quite ready in a pandemic?

This season was *always* this. I tried to warn people. You see the schedule drop the easy games and you start the season with a makeshift OL featuring your FB, 2 new coordinators, no camp - and you think the sane position is to fire the HC?

I do think next year is make or break. But this year? No. I’d lose a ton of respect for Wildhack and the university

Personally, I think Barbers and almost all college football coaches should get a pass this year due to COVID, but sometimes you need to make a coaching change based on who is available. There seems to be 2 candidates available now, Joe Moorhead and Lance Leipold, that seem to be good fits, are probably available, and are probably affordable. If you don’t act this year, they may not be available next year.

Thats the national perception of our program and it is similar to all the sane fans on this forum. You and your pro Baber’s buddies aren’t going to win this one just like the pro coach P, GR, SS guys didn’t win. The writing is on the wall, I can’t help it if you can’t read.

hes getting next year whether you like it or not. If there isn’t a much better season then fine. Doing so on the basis of this particular season when he has a 10-3 and top 15 in his pocket is ridiculous

that wasn’t by accident and it wasn’t Eric Dungey in spite of the coaches

btw how did firing P work out? such a brilliant move that returned so much upside

Always loved the "national perception" takes There isn't much national perception of Syracuse and it's been that way for 20 years. We have had two really good years since 2001. A couple of blowhards on the radio and you are all up in arms? BFD

He gets another year for many reasons that have been discussed at nauseum.

20 months ago the program was viewed as being back with a promising future, these things change in a hurry. Not a big deal.

hes getting next year whether you like it or not. If there isn’t a much better season then fine. Doing so on the basis of this particular season when he has a 10-3 and top 15 in his pocket is ridiculous

that wasn’t by accident and it wasn’t Eric Dungey in spite of the coaches

btw how did firing P work out? such a brilliant move that returned so much upside

I know the reality of the situation. Dino is getting next year and I hope he figures it out but I don’t think he will. Looking at the schedule and the guys I think we are losing are to much. Next season has disaster written all over it once again.

Also coach P had to go. I can’t help it that SU hired the worst possible fit for the position at the worst possible time. That’s on SU.

Last edited:
Always loved the "national perception" takes There isn't much national perception of Syracuse and it's been that way for 20 years. We have had two really good years since 2001. A couple of blowhards on the radio and you are all up in arms? BFD

20 months ago the program was viewed as being back with a promising future, these things change in a hurry. Not a big deal.

Up in arms? I literally laughed after our last play and turned the tv off and went about my day. I don’t get up in arms over SU football anymore. That ship sailed long ago.

There is no national perception of our program? Well, they talked about us on national radio for 5 minutes and it wasn’t flattering. I’d say that is the national perception of us.

The ones who didn’t were on crazy sauce. Was TD a viable replacement? Lol. That opinion looks very good in the rear view.

Dino absolutely deserved an extension. TD absolutely looked like a guy who could extend what the offense could do. You take a kid who can throw like that 10 out 10 times here.

Anytime someone attempts to attribute the success of an entire team to one player it makes me think they don’t understand football.
Sorry, but there are several fans that don't view the team through orange color glasses.

Up in arms? I literally laughed after our last play and turned the tv off and went about my day. I don’t get up in arms over SU football anymore. That ship sailed long ago.

There is no national perception of our program? Well, they talked about us on national radio for 5 minutes and it wasn’t flattering. I’d say that is the national perception of us.

5 minutes at 6 am on Satellite radio, yeah big uproar. we have been bad this year and bad for a number of years over the last 20, nothing shocking. So have quite a few of P5 teams

Personally, I think Barbers and almost all college football coaches should get a pass this year due to COVID, but sometimes you need to make a coaching change based on who is available. There seems to be 2 candidates available now, Joe Moorhead and Lance Leipold, that seem to be good fits, are probably available, and are probably affordable. If you don’t act this year, they may not be available next year.

There are always options. Moorhead isn't getting another P5 job this year or even next year so he will be there even if we give Babers two more years. Leipold isn't likely to get a job this year either. Then there is Martin (better option 2 years), Houston (better option 2 years), BOB, Marrone, Bohannon who will all likely be available. There is no rush to move on. Once it is obvious that Dino can't get it done, we need to move on. He is flirting with getting to that point. But until we get loss #7 next year, he shouldn't be fired.

I wish Dino would hire or give someone the responsibility of game management. The wasted timeouts and cluster f’s at the end of halves and games is maddening

Absolutely. My thread starter was more about the end game and how JW will handle a putrid start to 2021 (a 0-2 with a loss to Rutgers). That will heat the water around here to levels that will be tough to escape. I am just VERY curious how JW is going to handle this situation. Everything that was considered an excuse seems to have been mitigated by JW and the school.

My bigger existential issue is the ACC and how we are situated in it. The conf did us zero favors with the divisional alignment. We're fishing in a pond that is truly deep for our abilities IMO. Not saying we can't compete but to play both FSU and Clemson yearly (talking historically) is a tough ask. We sometimes get seduced by our bowl performances against the southern heavy weights but I tend to think we punch above our weight against schools unhappy about the bowls they are in when they face us.

Anyway, this season is a breakfast ball, in golf parlance. No one with a brain can hold this against Dino. I'm just worried about next year when you can start to question the coaching at this level in this conference. He came in with a philosophy that may not work in the ACC with our personnel. If he can't revise on the fly, he's going to be a former HC at some point in 2021

I would live for the H0T Takes on this board if Syracuse ever hires Lance Leipold and the majority of posters find out he’s a former D3 coach and brought half his D3 staff to coach with him in Buffalo.

Switching conferences would be so idiotic especially considering we competed fine just two years ago. If we have to make a coaching change next year to get back on track then so be it

Switching conferences would be so idiotic especially considering we competed fine just two years ago. If we have to make a coaching change next year to get back on track then so be it

No one is switching conferences. It's a foolish thought. We are paid for our geography in the ACC and the TV sets we deliver (or i guess IP addresses at this point). I'm just saying we are certainly not in the Big East anymore.