I think its all out in the Colgate game no holding back | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I think its all out in the Colgate game no holding back

I mentioned this in another thread but Colgate advanced fairly deep into the FCS playoffs last year and returns almost everybody minus 2-3 guys. This is no Wagner or Rhode Island. Breaking in a new scheme on both sides of the ball and the Defense having a lot of question marks this game could be a lot closer then people think.

Colgate was a decent team last year. It would be a big mistake to take them lightly, especially when one is introducing new schemes on both sides of the ball. I believe people expecting a Wagner/Rhode Island style blowout will be disappointed.
Colgate won 2 games on the road in the playoffs last year. Return a number of kids including an experienced QB and run the same system they used when they moved the ball pretty effectively in their last trip to the Dome. I think we will score easily but they are going to move the ball and chew up clock. They are not URI.

Breaking in a new scheme on both sides of the ball and the Defense having a lot of question marks this game could be a lot closer then people think.
Not just closer, this game could easily be lost.

I mentioned this in another thread but Colgate advanced fairly deep into the FCS playoffs last year and returns almost everybody minus 2-3 guys. This is no Wagner or Rhode Island. Breaking in a new scheme on both sides of the ball and the Defense having a lot of question marks this game could be a lot closer then people think.

I could see it playing out similar to the Stony Brook game from a couple years ago but I don't think we'll be losing at halftime (pretty sure we were down in that game at the half at least) and I think we'll end up with a few more points at the end than we had it that game.

I don't know if I would go that far. Unless the Defense is a total disaster ( the LB's and DT's should be good, DE and Secondary who knows) I would think that our superior talent would ultimately win out if we were in a dogfight late. The one thing SU does have going for it despite the complete overhaul on both sides of the ball is a lot of returning experience. I think that could really help the team from panicking if were in a game late in the second half. Going to be very interesting to see how the defense looks in this 1st game and what ability the new DC has to make adjustments/game plan.

I could see it playing out similar to the Stony Brook game from a couple years ago but I don't think we'll be losing at halftime (pretty sure we were down in that game at the half at least) and I think we'll end up with a few more points at the end than we had it that game.

I don't think we were trailing at half but it was very close, might have been up a field goal or something. We were trailing against I think Maine a few years prior to that and if not for a few blown opportunists by them we could have been down a couple scores. We rallied early in the third though and took the lead by the end of quarter. I could see this being similar to the Stony Brook game though if we don't come out and pounce on them early. The fact that they have a balanced offense is a bit concerning as most of the 1AA teams really struggle pass, Colgate couldn't pass the ball at all last time we played them under Marrone. Really going to need to make them one dimensional and put some pressure on early by grabbing a quick score. I am sure they will try and run clock as much as possible, almost like playing a mid major in bball who holds the ball for 28 seconds then hucks up a shot. I expect Colgate to try and run a lot and then go with a lot of play action/ mis direction stuff.

Colgate couldn't pass the ball at all last time we played them under Marrone.
I don't think Colgate was giving out scholarships when Syracuse played them last. I believe they started in 2012 or 2013. I expect this Colgate to have much more talent than the 2010 team.

donniesyracuse said:

So you put this game as a toss up?

I highly, highly doubt an FCS team will be able to hold our offense to less than 50 points. I don't care if its the first game, we're going to score, and we're going to rack up yardage.

I think the offense will definitely score but I think its a bit early to make a claim like that. As a BG fan pointed out it took Baber at least half the season to get his system fully implemented and even though he had spring ball and will have camp there will definitely be kinks to work out especially in the 1st game. Also need to hope for relatively few injuries in pre-season camp, a key injury or two and this offense takes on a whole different complexion.

it really just comes down to mistakes.. we could have 5 Ints and 5 fumbles for all we know now

Nothing but trick plays. Every play trickier than the one before it.
exactly.

no one has ever seen a Dino Baber's offense.

every game is nothing but new trick plays.

Wow...SU's past performances have really made many fans enter this game with caution. That is so sad. I'll be surprised if SU doesn't score at least 50. So many pessimists. No reason to hold anything back!!! I actually want 70 points scored and believe this team can do it. There is so much more talent on this team then 'Gate and finally good coaching.

So you put this game as a toss up?
No, not at all. I'm saying the team could conceivably lose. Since you are into percentages, I'd put Colgate's chances of winning at somewhere between 15% and 30%. I would need more information to narrow it down.

We win by at least 3 TD's. Even if Colgate can find the end zone, they won't be able to match our scoring pace.

To suggest that we can "easily lose" this game is border-line delusional. It would be considered a huge upset.
It would no-doubt be an upset, but I would be very surprised if the spread is more than two touchdowns. The line for Villanova in 2014 was around 14 points if I remember correctly. That sounds about right to me.

For what it's worth -- I follow Colgate pretty closely -- this probably isn't one of Colgate's best teams in the past couple decades, playoffs or not.

My guess is that SU will be a little sloppy, Colgate will use its typical ground-control game to rack up a few yards but will settle for field goals and turn the ball over more often than not, and we'll win a 42-17 kind of game.

For what it's worth -- I follow Colgate pretty closely -- this probably isn't one of Colgate's best teams in the past couple decades, playoffs or not.
Could you elaborate?

My guess is that SU will be a little sloppy, Colgate will use its typical ground-control game to rack up a few yards but will settle for field goals and turn the ball over more often than not, and we'll win a 42-17 kind of game.

Thanks OM. Any thoughts on what Colgate will look like this year? Strengths Weaknesses? Areas of concern?

No, not at all. I'm saying the team could conceivably lose. Since you are into percentages, I'd put Colgate's chances of winning at somewhere between 15% and 30%. I would need more information to narrow it down.
if Dino comes out of the shoot and loses to colgate...

Thanks OM. Any thoughts on what Colgate will look like this year? Strengths Weaknesses? Areas of concern?
I don't know about the past decades but last year their kicking game was awful. I think scholarships alone will make them better than they have been. They won't be Villanova but they will be better than URI.

If we played at James Madison last year, how do you think we would have done?

I don't know about the past decades but last year their kicking game was awful. I think scholarships alone will make them better than they have been. They won't be Villanova but they will be better than URI.

If we played at James Madison last year, how do you think we would have done?

With last years team, honestly I have no idea. Would like to think we would have won but who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom