I think its all out in the Colgate game no holding back | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I think its all out in the Colgate game no holding back

1. in theory, we should have the superior talent player wise.
2. in theory, we should have the superior talent coaching wise.
3. in theory, we should never lose this game.
first game with a new system; it would be forgivable

1. in theory, we should have the superior talent player wise.
2. in theory, we should have the superior talent coaching wise.
3. in theory, we should never lose this game.
In theory we should never have beat Nebraska in '84. Not saying I think we lose, just that anything can happen.

I'll be nervously excited come kickoff.

I don't know about the past decades but last year their kicking game was awful. I think scholarships alone will make them better than they have been. They won't be Villanova but they will be better than URI.

If we played at James Madison last year, how do you think we would have done?

Speaking of URI, Kansas opens with them this year. They were having a discussion on talk radio the other day about whether KU would have enough to beat them. I know Kansas was winless last year, but as Dick Enberg would say - oh my.

Could you elaborate?
Thanks OM. Any thoughts on what Colgate will look like this year? Strengths Weaknesses? Areas of concern?

It think it's more a style of play disadvantage. Who was that D-IAA who played us close under Marrone with crazy trick plays and onside kicks?

Colgate doesn't mess around with any of that. They'll run up the middle, mix in a counter sweep, generally try to get yards the old-fashioned way while burning clock and shortening the game. That plays into our hands - even with an inexperienced line, no one on their front is going to out-muscle or out-talent any of our guys. Colgate's got a really experienced senior quarterback, one of those careful kids, run-first but can throw when needed. But he's a little guy and has never played against talent like ours, if he needs to pass, he could be forced into making some mistakes. If we had a very good defense, they'd have huge problems. If their line can't get any push on ours, it'll be the same way. As it is, if we can contain the quarterback and make them have 18-play drives down the field, they're bound to make a few turnovers.

On the other side, we'll just out-talent them.

I guess the only area of concern is that running quarterbacks have been ruining our Saturdays since that East Carolina kid 20 years ago (probably before that for those of you with longer memories). If we let him loose, they'll be able to break some big plays. If they have no big plays, the clock's going to run and they won't be able to score enough to keep up.

52-14 Cuse, the amount of worrying in July is understandable. Wait to you see how well this offense is humming in fall practice. Dino will not let his players come out and lay an egg game one.

donniesyracuse said:
No, not at all. I'm saying the team could conceivably lose. Since you are into percentages, I'd put Colgate's chances of winning at somewhere between 15% and 30%. I would need more information to narrow it down.

Bill Connelly has them at 4%. I don't think FCS vs P5 gets into double digits very often at all.

We'll probably not agree on this, but I think you should be way more bullish on this coach/system even out of the gate.

but I think you should be way more bullish on this coach/system even out of the gate.
I am very bullish on this coach/system, I will just understand and forgive if he/it stumbles out of the gate. I also think Colgate is an opponent that should be taken seriously. They are not the non-scholarship awarding program we remember.

Offense will score a lot like it did during spring scrimmage. Against Colgate I see at least 12 possesions 7 TD's and Colgate 2nd half will be tired. 24-10 Half time, Final 55-17. He will turn the screw until the final whistle. Spring scrimmage Babers said we will never be that slow again and we won't.

I would think that too, but it does not always happen.
Steven Clark, and Chris Slayton are going to make the Colgate Offensive Line, wish they were somewhere else before the end of the game. Our DT's by the end of the year, might be the best group we have had, Anthony Giudice, Kayton Samuels, and Tyler Cross add depth.

this is not cusians buddy, lesters...d3 system.

this is a proven track record, high octane...'easy' system to score points with.

talent & system alone should win this.

Ha! I love getting called out for optimism. "You thought it would go well! How dare you!"

Oh, well. At least this year I'm not alone ;)

Ha! I love getting called out for optimism. "You thought it would go well! How dare you!"

Oh, well. At least this year I'm not alone ;)
the titanic was going down, you were optimistically rearranging deck chairs.

yes, how dare you. :cool:

ththis is a proven track record, high octane...'easy' system to score points with.

talent & system alone should win this.
the titanic was going down, you were optimistically rearranging deck chairs.

yes, how dare you. :cool:
At least Cusian provides support for his optimistic positions, with which I usually agree. The "we are winning by 50! Book it!" people don't add much to a discussion.

While I am an optimist at heart, I try to be objective when talking or writing about the team. I think it is reasonable to recognize the possibility that a team incorporating new systems on offense and defense could struggle against an experienced underdog, even if that underdog has twenty fewer scholarship players.

KaiserUEO said:
the titanic was going down, you were optimistically rearranging deck chairs. yes, how dare you. :cool:

I hoped and looked for signs that it would go well and was wrong. Egg on my face? Meh. Whatever. Wouldn't change a thing.

Plus, there a lot of fans who like to think every boat they are on is hitting an iceberg. No thanks.

Hope your life preserver fits ;).

I can see all view points on what could happen against Colgate, however knowing Babers, this team is not preparing for Colgate or for that matter Louisville or any specific team..., they are preparing for the game itself. It's THE GAME that is what the offense will prepare for and the game is the culmination of what you work for. Baber's philosophy is to own the game and you own the game by concentrating mentally on what you are doing. Too many teams work on preparing for the opponent and then get slapped beside the head when the game starts. Scripted starts can get stuffed down your throat and defensively you can experience the unexpected when you are looking too much for the expected. This offense of which Baber's is an experienced master, has a variety of ways to beat you all over the field leading up to long strikes for touchdowns. It messes with coverages, hitting weak spots. It makes the defense run without being able to catch a breath and to get set. Even when you are defensively perfect, one bad step one hesitation and its bye bye.
The coaching staff will work on making the players mentally ready, focused without getting too tight leading up to game being fun. This is what I expect for Colgate game.

I hoped and looked for signs that it would go well and was wrong. Egg on my face? Meh. Whatever. Wouldn't change a thing.

Plus, there a lot of fans who like to think every boat they are on is hitting an iceberg. No thanks.

Hope your life preserver fits ;).
I fly. :cool:

like this offense will.

why do I say that?

because Babers, has shown time and time it again that it does on a D1 level.

so my 'expectations and optimism' is rooted in my Coach's proven track record and witnessed ability of the starting QB.

I don't need to hope and look for signs of life like a probe on Mars.

ohhh, its gonna be a long hot summer, Reverend. ;)

KaiserUEO said:
I fly. :cool: like this offense will. why do I say that? because Babers, has shown time and time it again that it does on a D1 level. so my 'expectations and optimism' is rooted in my Coach's proven track record and witnessed ability of the starting QB. I don't need to hope and look for signs of life like a probe on Mars. ohhh, its gonna be a long hot summer, Reverend. ;)

Got my gin and tonic in hand for the heat...

- I do agree that there is more reason for optimism based on prior performance. I'm just not wired to be pessimistic based on no P5 experience like last summer with Lester. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and while improved (sort of) he failed.

No biggie.

Got my gin and tonic in hand for the heat...

- I do agree that there is more reason for optimism based on prior performance. I'm just not wired to be pessimistic based on no P5 experience like last summer with Lester. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and while improved (sort of) he failed.

No biggie.
I know, I got you.

But back on point here, we lose to Colgate?? While there may still be 10 Win seasons in the future, it will sure be ugly here.

That gin & tonic will need to be upgraded to a dry gin martini.

The good news is, you won't be alone on the support...and you're no Robin.

Go get em Nightwing, Ill take the ones on the left...

I don't know why anyone would hold back in any game. You're playing to win.
They won't "hold back" but I'd like to see them build a big lead and get some "back-up" players some game experience that will help down further in the schedule.

I mentioned this in another thread but Colgate advanced fairly deep into the FCS playoffs last year and returns almost everybody minus 2-3 guys. This is no Wagner or Rhode Island. Breaking in a new scheme on both sides of the ball and the Defense having a lot of question marks this game could be a lot closer then people think.

Agree 100%, two new schemes, I can see the O being too hyped up and executing poorly and confusion on defense and giving up some big plays. I say down at halftime and we win a close one. I have just seen it too many times, hopefully it's not as bad as Villanova but I agree people tend to lump FCS teams together too often. Colgate is a good team capable of beating Syracuse if we play poorly on BOTH sides of the ball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom