I think what people miss about not just our | Syracusefan.com

I think what people miss about not just our

dasher

Living Legend
recruiting but everywhere in the country is that things have changed. And they changed when all of these freshman started coming our early. 20 to 30 years ago, even great players stayed until their Jr years. That meant if you were Kentucky and got three 5 star players, and they didn't leave, the next years 5 star players wouldn't go to Kentucky because they wouldn't start or be the man. That freed up other schools like Syracuse, UConn and others to come in and get 5 star kids in the next years group. Ewing stayed all 4 years. As did D Coleman. Now, the freshman at Duke, Kentucky leave so they have to be replaced. That pushes the other players in the recruiting game back to the 35 to 90 top 100 range.

And now it could get worse -

If the NBA eliminates 1 and done and a lot of those kids go straight to the nba (or G-League), Kentucky will start going after the 4 stars

If the NBA eliminates 1 and done and a lot of those kids go straight to the nba (or G-League), Kentucky will start going after the 4 stars
They wouldn’t be able to leave after 1 year so they wouldn’t have the top 4 stars every year

But the 4 stars won't be one and done because the NBA/G-league will still take the 5 stars and Euros over them. Hopefully kids who choose to go to college will stay around 2-3 years at least.

recruiting but everywhere in the country is that things have changed. And they changed when all of these freshman started coming our early. 20 to 30 years ago, even great players stayed until their Jr years. That meant if you were Kentucky and got three 5 star players, and they didn't leave, the next years 5 star players wouldn't go to Kentucky because they wouldn't start or be the man. That freed up other schools like Syracuse, UConn and others to come in and get 5 star kids in the next years group. Ewing stayed all 4 years. As did D Coleman. Now, the freshman at Duke, Kentucky leave so they have to be replaced. That pushes the other players in the recruiting game back to the 35 to 90 top 100.
I think it's still somewhat relative. The 5 stars are still going to the NBA/top schools and we get the leftovers. What hurt us are our recruits that blew up and went earlier than anyone expected. Like I said in another post is that our only shot is for our guys to stay 3 or 4 years and develop from there.

We will never outrecruit UK, Duke and Kansas unless the rules are changed and the top guys need to stay like you talk about in the 80's.

Its a factor for sure. But a counter argument should be that our juniors and seniors should be able to beat duke and uks freshmen. Thats where weve struggled recently.
Well, we have had some success against Duke. Winning twice (and should have been three) at Cameron. Our problem is that a number of our kids have also left early even though they weren't good enough to make us elite.

Well, we have had some success against Duke. Winning twice (and should have been three) at Cameron. Our problem is that a number of our kids have also left early even though they weren't good enough to make us elite.

yea add in the schollie reduction and it was a tough spot. Thank god jb runs a tight roto with a short leash.

Redacted until I further consider my post. The TLDR version is that there is far more that I regret, and the football side might be jealous of this type of excuse.

Last edited:
recruiting but everywhere in the country is that things have changed. And they changed when all of these freshman started coming our early. 20 to 30 years ago, even great players stayed until their Jr years. That meant if you were Kentucky and got three 5 star players, and they didn't leave, the next years 5 star players wouldn't go to Kentucky because they wouldn't start or be the man. That freed up other schools like Syracuse, UConn and others to come in and get 5 star kids in the next years group. Ewing stayed all 4 years. As did D Coleman. Now, the freshman at Duke, Kentucky leave so they have to be replaced. That pushes the other players in the recruiting game back to the 35 to 90 top 100 range.
Totally agree and it’s a factor, but there is still something remiss about our program. I would love to do a poll amongst college recruits and players to identify our shortcomings.

The other thing that has changed over the last 20-30 years is that there are many many more viable opportunities for guys to play professionally when they leave (NBA, G, Euro, and really opps all over the globe). As a result I think you end up with a much higher percentage of kids coming to college hoping to use the experience to move on to a professional playing experience wherever that may be. Less kids planning to play 4 years of college and have their athletic career end and transition to a post athletics life.

SU has also been sanctioned twice by the NCAA. Maybe SU isn’t (can’t) ”offering” recruits what they use to!

We had no problem recruiting 2007-2013. That wasn’t 30 years ago. It’s not the sanctions. It’s losing hop plus every other school will tell elite kids that JB will retire any second.

We had no problem recruiting 2007-2013. That wasn’t 30 years ago. It’s not the sanctions. It’s losing hop plus every other school will tell elite kids that JB will retire any second.

Uh... 2007-2013 was pre-sanctions. The sanctions were directly attributable to ending that mini-resurgence, where we had 2 #1 seeds in a four year span, and went to a final four.

that is your opinion.
mine is that it was primarily due to sanctions
neither of us can prove it, but i think the talent infusion of the last 3 classes supports my opinion & casts doubt on yours

The only way certain people will be happy is if these guys are in the top 50. Nothing else matters and it doesn’t matter how good they end up.

Hop was here until 2017. He didn't sign anyone his last couple years.
There’s a reason for that. He mentally checked out when it became clear that JB wasn’t going to let him start recruiting his own players.

or we could go with your theory that he forgot how to recruit those last couple years and then suddenly rediscovered the magic when he went to Washington.

There’s a reason for that. He mentally checked out when it became clear that JB wasn’t going to let him start recruiting his own players.

or we could go with your theory that he forgot how to recruit those last couple years and then suddenly rediscovered the magic when he went to Washington.
Quite the imagination here. May I ask how you know Hop mentally checked out because JB was not allowing him to recruit his own players?

Did I type anything about a theory? He signed Lydon and Mali in late 2013. After that he never recruited another player. Those are the facts.

Did he tell you that?
Insiders here have said on several occasions that hop wanted to start recruiting his own players for the transition but was overruled by Jimmy. How do you forget those posts?

These insiders were reputable unbiased posters but if you want to believe it’s a conspiracy theory that’s your choice.

I don't understand why it's so hard to admit that recruiting has badly fallen off. And it's not the sanctions. Look at Louisville. They're cleaning up and now #2 in the country and they got hit after us. Is it so hard to acknowledge the fact that a 75-year old man's best days are behind him?

Insiders here have said on several occasions that hop wanted to start recruiting his own players for the transition but was overruled by Jimmy. How do you forget those posts?

These insiders were reputable unbiased posters but if you want to believe it’s a conspiracy theory that’s your choice.

How's Hop doing on the recruiting front now? That's all you have to say in response to the mob that's following you around in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom