I thought the refs... | Syracusefan.com

I thought the refs...

OrangeSky

2nd String
did a good job in our game.
No crazy calls, let them play and decide the game. Didn't insert themselves into the game.

What conference were they from?

It's weird how the MAC hires the best refs. You'd think the ACC and Big East could afford to steal away the better ones.

The pink elephant in the room is bias. Easy to say that the refs were 'good' when the opponents are completely outclassed.

did a good job in our game.
No crazy calls, let them play and decide the game. Didn't insert themselves into the game.

What conference were they from?

Jamie Luckie was part of the crew. He's an ACC ref. He had some bogus calls on Keita and Rak in the beginning of the 2nd half.

Yeah, and remember the foul that was called when Cooney was shooting a three pointer? That was a horrendous call; however, I don't mind because it went in our favor. :)

Yeah, and remember the foul that was called when Cooney was shooting a three pointer? That was a horrendous call; however, I don't mind because it went in our favor. :)

Same with the foul call on the Ennis jumper at the under 4 timeout. That said, we get called for fouls on more clean blocks then i can even count. I get tired of watching opposing players drive into no mans land, heaving up a garbage shot, grunting like a tennis player while getting blocked, and having the ref make a call based on sound.

Also the refs that did not call the very expected flop at the end of the Ohio St./Dayton game by our good friend Aaron Craft. I immediately said to please send them to the ACC!!
Without a doubt, the best reffed game of the season!! They really let the players do there thing without the ticky-tack B.S. !

i thought most of the officiating i watched last night was horrendous. it's so inconsistant but what drives me crazy is letting kids bump and push and foul all over the court with no calls and then they call ticky tack sht around the basket. Then they'll let a guy get hammered under the basket and not call anything.

Luckie was from the ACC.

One of the others was from the Big South and the other from the Atlantic Sun.

It's weird how the MAC hires the best refs. You'd think the ACC and Big East could afford to steal away the better ones.

Niastri, might you ever consider changing your avatar to something like this:

upload_2014-3-21_9-38-9.jpeg

What was with the insane acting job Cooney pulled on that one? He looked like he had been shot with a howitzer based on his reaction, but in effect he was brushed lightly with a couple fingertips. This acting has been going on since the Paul Harris days. Refs have to get tired of that nonsense.

Jamie Luckie was part of the crew. He's an ACC ref. He had some bogus calls on Keita and Rak in the beginning of the 2nd half.

I dare anyone to try and find the contact on Rak's 3rd foul. Awful, awful call. If Luckie called that one, he should sit out the rest of the weekend.

Is it a known thing that the MAC has the best refs?

The no-call on Grant's second-half dunk is enough to get the official on that portion of the floor suspended, as far as I'm concerned.

When an airborne player can get bodied and clubbed across the face with no whistle, college basketball is broken. Very disappointing.

The no-call on Grant's second-half dunk is enough to get the official on that portion of the floor suspended, as far as I'm concerned.

When an airborne player can get bodied and clubbed across the face with no whistle, college basketball is broken. Very disappointing.
Agree. That was the ACC's own Jamie Luckie. He then followed up that no call with a no contact foul call on Baye.

Agree. That was the ACC's own Jamie Luckie. He then followed up that no call with a no contact foul call on Baye.

Yes, there were two at the other end on that possession that I wanted to review. Kind of thought the offensive player pushed off and Baye took the foul call.

Rak grabbed the kids shirt going for the rebound, I was actually surprised the shirt didn't rip he pulled it so hard. Not a real surprising call if your preventing a guy from going after a rebound.

it's so inconsistant but what drives me crazy is letting kids bump and push and foul all over the court with no calls and then they call ticky tack sht around the basket.
Yeah, my feeling is there should be a direct relationship - as the ball approaches the basket, more physicality is permitted. As the ball is distanced from the basket, less physicality is permitted.

you mean raft's "deodorant" call. classic.

Rak grabbed the kids shirt going for the rebound, I was actually surprised the shirt didn't rip he pulled it so hard. Not a real surprising call if your preventing a guy from going after a rebound.

I'd better watch it again this afternoon - in my memory, Rak wasn't involved in the play, so maybe I'm mixing things up.

Okay, so I just rewatched the play, and you are correct about Rak grabbing the shirt. I was wrong and I have to admit that. Rak missed badly on boxing out Whittington and tugged the jersey as the kid was going by (the shirt wasn't really in jeopardy however). Two things to consider on that play - 1) it absolutely did not affect (or is it effect?) the outcome of that play - the two WMU kids knocked it out of each other's hands and 2) Cooney's jersey gets it much worse over the course of every game when guards are grabbing him as he's trying to come out around screens and you almost never see it called. It definitely wasn't egregious, but maybe the refs are clamping down a bit to ensure the new interpretations of the rules are enforced (we had a thread about that before the tourney).

Good call and spotting on your part though.

There were some really bad calls (probably both ways) but we played well and non of them mattered that much.

I will say that the one on Cooney 3 where he got the four point play was a foul albeit a stupid one on the player. If you touch a jump shooter on the elbow when he is in the air and yet to release the ball it should be a foul every time. If your going to do that at least push the elbow instead of caressing it so he can't make the shot.
The one on Ennis I couldn't see any touch at all but the replay was quick and a bad angle.

On a side note I hope we get no more ACC refs the rest of the way if possible. They know our team and players and I believe that adds to the frequency of making anticipatory calls.

Last edited:
On a side note I hope we get no more ACC refs the rest of the way if possible. They know our team and players and I believe that adds to the frequency of making anticipatory calls.

Rak concurs with this.

And caressing was funny. Well done.

Rak concurs with this.

And caressing was funny. Well done.

I think that's why Cooney reacted the way he did. Some stranger caressing his elbow all soft like was probably pretty disconcerting. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom