I try not to make rash posts postgame but... | Syracusefan.com

I try not to make rash posts postgame but...

CU44SE

All Conference
The staff has missed on countless players the last several years and it is absolutely killing us right now.

We have no Center - Coleman can't play against bigger players. He got away in high school by playing smaller players and overpowering them, just can't do that on this level

Joseph - comes into the game three different times. First time tried a step back jumper, second time I believe shot an immediate air ball, third time commits and immediate turnover at half court and commits an and 1 foul. He needs to transfer

Roberson- the kid can rebound but can't make a 2ft bucket. 2/9 and all of his attempts were inside the paint. No way he only had 2 turnovers, kid was so lose with the ball. He is incompetent on offense.

Obokoh- do I say more? Don't care if he is a good student, guys been here 3 years and still doesn't belong on the court.

Not to mention BJ Johnson and Patterson who were essentially forced out becAuse they weren't good enough.

I don't care if the coaching staff was caught off guard by ennis and McCullough leaving. McCullough was projected to only be 1 year anyways and this is year 2 post ennis; should have figured he was gone half way through the season. And yes, the djange news hurt, but it's the staffs job to know how close he is. They must have known it wasn't a slam dunk.

Yes, I will now go sit down and give myself a timeout. I'm beyond frusterated, this is why I shouldn't post immediately after watching games!!! I'm going over to the football board now DAMIT!!!

Face it people, we were spoiled. Flynn/Donte started the trend of us getting elite talent, ever since then it seems like we've had good higher tier recruits (MCW, Waiters, Devo, Fab,etc) and did a great job of getting the lesser heralded dudes to play exceptionally well (KrisJo, Fair, Triche, Rautins, Southerland, etc.)

You can't hit the perfect roster every year, we are 3 years removed from a Final Four, and the year after that we started 25-0. it was bound to slow down at some point.

Last year was the low point talent wise, but this year is better, and next year should be even better (barring something unexpected).

We've missed on just as many recruits as normal (Joseph, BJ, Patterson, Obokoh) but it becomes more glaring and obvious simply because the top of the roster isn't as good as it has been in the past. I think come February this team will be fine -- we arguably had the 2 toughest games of any ACC team to start the year and we battled in both without JB.

Miami and Pitt are simply better and deeper than us, there's a reason they are like 23-2 combined. The roster could be a little better, but there is talent.

Face it people, we were spoiled. Flynn/Donte started the trend of us getting elite talent, ever since then it seems like we've had good higher tier recruits (MCW, Waiters, Devo, Fab,etc) and did a great job of getting the lesser heralded dudes to play exceptionally well (KrisJo, Fair, Triche, Rautins, Southerland, etc.)

You can't hit the perfect roster every year, we are 3 years removed from a Final Four, and the year after that we started 25-0. it was bound to slow down at some point.

Last year was the low point talent wise, but this year is better, and next year should be even better (barring something unexpected).

We've missed on just as many recruits as normal (Joseph, BJ, Patterson, Obokoh) but it becomes more glaring and obvious simply because the top of the roster isn't as good as it has been in the past. I think come February this team will be fine -- we arguably had the 2 toughest games of any ACC team to start the year and we battled in both without JB.

Miami and Pitt are simply better and deeper than us, there's a reason they are like 23-2 combined. The roster could be a little better, but there is talent.

Amazing how an 8 year NCAA investigation and the threat of scholarship reductions and post-season bans can have an impact on recruiting.

Amazing how an 8 year NCAA investigation and the threat of scholarship reductions and post-season bans can have an impact on recruiting.
Has it really impacted that much at this point? I don't think Bryant/Diagne were because of that and we're still getting Battle types. I do think we have less room for marginal guys. Have there been guys we've wanted and passed on? Seems like JB still makes those calls (I.e. Trevon)

Has it really impacted that much at this point? I don't think Bryant/Diagne were because of that and we're still getting Battle types. I do think we have less room for marginal guys. Have there been guys we've wanted and passed on? Seems like JB still makes those calls (I.e. Trevon)

The threat of sanctions is actually worse than the punishment itself.

Last time SU went through this we missed out on Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall.

I'm sure there were recruits who crossed SU off their lists in the past few years because of the potential of a post-season ban. If the NCAA dragged out their investigation a few more years and we were facing a post-season ban for 2016-17, do you think Battle would have committed?

We've missed on just as many recruits as normal.

Have we? The five man class of 2013 produced one consistent college player, and he's been gone for two years.

That and the fact that we're losing guys who are marginal NBA players is killing us...to the point where I'm not expecting Lydon or Richardson to back next year just so I'm not disappointed.

I've often wondered why we aren't an elite recruiter on the level of Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Kansas. We get good players but very few of an NBA starter or star level. Some teams get entire classes of McDonald's All-Americans. We might have one or two on the roster at any one time.

We have the biggest arena in a town that doesn't have pro sports so this is what puts us on the map. We have a Hall of Fame coach and 45 straight winning seasons. It's not a glamorous location but neither are Durham, Lexington or Lawrence, (all have their virtues but they aren't Miami Beach or L.A.).

It has to be the probations- they endless investigations, the actual penalties, the reputation afterwards. The coaches have to recruit on eggshells for years afterwards for fear of getting nailed for something else and having even worse penalties. Meanwhile those other schools are Teflon. Either nothing sticks or they seem to come roaring back as soon as the checkbooks open.

Now you are making excuses.

If you polled 100 recruits 8 years, 7 years, 6 years, 5 years ago, I am willing to bet that the vast majority of them had no clue Syracuse was under investigation.

Fact of the matter is, the only guys we missed out on during this whole process were guys we were looking at late last year. Thomas Bryant comes to mind. For crying out loud, we recruited a McDonald's All-American last year and it had no effect on him coming.

We have missed on a bunch lately. Reminds me of the post-'96 Final Four teams (LaSean Howard, Sam Spann, Eric Williams, Malik Campbell, Greg Davis, James Thues). Or the post-National Championship '03-04 teams (McCroskey, Roberts/Watkins, Wrights). A lot of misses on those rosters, too.

If you polled 100 recruits 8 years, 7 years, 6 years, 5 years ago, I am willing to bet that the vast majority of them had no clue Syracuse was under investigation.

Fact of the matter is, the only guys we missed out on during this whole process were guys we were looking at late last year. Thomas Bryant comes to mind. For crying out loud, we recruited a McDonald's All-American last year and it had no effect on him coming.

We have missed on a bunch lately. Reminds me of the post-'96 Final Four teams (LaSean Howard, Sam Spann, Eric Williams, Malik Campbell, Greg Davis, James Thues). Or the post-National Championship '03-04 teams (McCroskey, Roberts/Watkins, Wrights). A lot of misses on those rosters, too.
Yea that's an excuse. The staff has just blatantly missed and whiffed on a good amount of recruits recently. Shouldn't be happening. All the resources in the world to develop the players you recruit here. If they can't develop, they weren't good enough in the first place. Roberson has been shockingly disappointing, Joseph was beyond a whif, Obokoh I don't even know who recruited. And then Buss and BJ aren't even here anymore.

Blatantly, huh?

2 posts, 3 words without any context on the subject. Your really bringing a lot to the table, keep up the good work. :)

2 posts, 3 words without any context on the subject. Your really bringing a lot to the table, keep up the good work. :)
And yet, it was said. If you don't mean it, don't say it.

Just because you label it 'an excuse', doesn't make it false. Do you truly believe it had no effect?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom