I was told Hughes was going to be the best player on the squad | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I was told Hughes was going to be the best player on the squad

I don't get where people thought he was playing bad. He's been in double figures in every game, but 3 and scored at least 14 points 15 times. He's been great and he's clearly at worst our 2nd best player.
He wasn’t making shots like he is now. It’s like night and day. He was definitely hyped up big time the last year. He’s playing like a NBA late 1st rounder the past few games. I hope he continues to flourish and make shots. He’s the best player on the team at times. OB has surprisingly regressed and Battle is too inconsistent.

I did expect to see people blasting Brissett, but that doesn’t really seem to be the case. Other players have played better than Oshae and been blasted worse by posters so that’s interesting.
The by-laws state that we're not allowed to be critical of anything when Syracuse wins. And I believe donner tacked an amendment that declares a 1 hour moratorium on such content following a blowout win.

He’s finally started playing well. . You should of asked me earlier when he was doing nothing and not making shots.

After 4 games, Hughes was averaging 14.25 ppg, 4.75 rebounds per game, 2.75 steals per game and 2 assists per game. On 42% from the floor.

He didn’t shoot well from 3, but obviously those numbers are pretty good and not “doing nothing”. He’s been our most consistent player from day 1.

After 4 games, Hughes was averaging 14.25 ppg, 4.75 rebounds per game, 2.75 steals per game and 2 assists per game. On 42% from the floor.

He didn’t shoot well from 3, but obviously those numbers are pretty good and not “doing nothing”. He’s been our most consistent player from day 1.

Not to pile on VT, but that's why I was puzzled by this thread when he originally posted it. Of all the things to single out, Hughes wouldn't have been one of them IMO.

Not to pile on VT, but that's why I was puzzled by this thread when he originally posted it. Of all the things to single out, Hughes wouldn't have been one of them IMO.

Yep. And his ACC numbers are not a whole lot better (16.3 ppg, 4.8 rebounds/game, 1 assist and 1 steal per game). despite him shooting very well from 3, 42% and overall 47%. We are playing better teams, but he just brings it every night and goes off sometimes, like Notre Dame and last night. He’s been better than I thought he’d be.

He took alot of shots that weren’t falling. Hitting 3’s is a big part of his game. His play now and then is totally different. Hes our most consistent player no doubt on a team full of inconsistent players. I hope OB can come to life also.

He took alot of shots that weren’t falling. Hitting 3’s is a big part of his game. His play now and then is totally different. Hes our most consistent player no doubt on a team full of inconsistent players. I hope OB can come to life also.

Right, he didn’t shoot well from 3, but that's about it. 14/5/3/2 is not nothing, and his ACC stats (aside from his 3 point shooting) aren’t much better. He’s been really good the whole year.

I don't think you're first two sentences are accurate.

He was also coming off of sitting out for a year, and needed to knock off some ring rust and get adjusted to playing with some new teammates in real games [not just practice].

I don't expect him to continue to shoot at this torrid pace -- but we're seeing how good he can stroke it now that he's got his sea legs back.

Right, he didn’t shoot well from 3, but that's about it. 14/5/3/2 is not nothing, and his ACC stats (aside from his 3 point shooting) aren’t much better. He’s been pretty good the whole year.
Making layups boosts your percent. Let’s not act like he wasn’t missing shots. You took do nothing too literally. .

I don't think you're first two sentences are accurate.

He was also coming off of sitting out for a year, and needed to knock off some ring rust and get adjusted to playing with some new teammates in real games [not just practice].

I don't expect him to continue to shoot at this torrid pace -- but we're seeing how good he can stroke it now that he's got his sea legs back.
You’re right I expected more at first based on a lot of hype. Hey im glad he’s killing it now. It’s good for the team and my sanity.

Making layups boasts your percent. Let’s not act like he wasn’t making shots. You took do nothing too literally. .

Making layups is part of the game. I wish Oshae Brissett made them more often. He was at least our 2nd leading scorer after 4 games, rebounded and played defense. I don’t think anyone shot well from 3 to start the season.

Making layups is part of the game. I wish Oshae Brissett made them more often. He was at least our 2nd leading scorer after 4 games, rebounded and played defense. I don’t think anyone shot well from 3 to start the season.
Amen! We need more consistency from OB. His play has been surprisingly disappointing based on what he did last year.

Confident teams are dangerous teams

Elijah and Battle have confidence to spare.

Frank’s regained his.

Marek and Buddy each expressed in interviews that now that they have their teammates and JB’s confidence, they feel confident.

Oshae will find his, I’m not worried.

You ain't piling on me, because it was never my intent to say he was 'doing nothing.' I just wasn't seeing the player he is now, and definitely wasn't seeing the best player on the team billing that many had been labeling him with over the summer.

Confident teams are dangerous teams

Elijah and Battle have confidence to spare.

Frank’s regained his.

Marek and Buddy each expressed in interviews that now that they have their teammates and JB’s confidence, they feel confident.

Oshae will find his, I’m not worried.

If Oshae finds his and Chukwu contributes the way he has the last three games, the sky is the limit for this team.

LGO!!!

Cheers,
Neil

Regardless of statistics, his floor game has jumped up a level since then. His court awareness on both ends is noticeably improved. Hughes has been excellent in the last three or so games.

Regardless of statistics, his floor game has jumped up a level since then. His court awareness on both ends is noticeably improved. Hughes has been excellent in the last three or so games.

You’re right...but he’s been really good all season. 15-16 points every night.

Last edited:
So, need to bring up my shame again after this performance by Hughes tonight. He's been straight up killing it lately, all over the place, and I have to publicly state I was wrong. I was clearly premature, and for that I apologize again.

On a team with a bunch of really likable players, he's currently my favorite. Silky smooth, but has a mean streak on defense that I just love.

well, looks like making proclamations based on 1 game samples here and there can be wrong in each direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom