I was totally at peace with our loss | Syracusefan.com

I was totally at peace with our loss

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
I was ready with the "so proud of our guys" speech. Was practicing it in my head during the game. (These are speeches I usually give to myself.) During the Gonzaga game, I was emotionally in there clawing and screeching and imploring. I was with a group of people with whom I have watched a hundred away games. We are an intense little group, especially 25 year old Ryan, who told me before the first game, "Peggy, we are going all the way this year. I feel it. I FEEL it."

"Sure, we are, Ryan," I said, worrying about his mental health. And then we started to win.

Virginia was different, though. They were a LEGIT #1 seed. They were "the best team left in the tourney." And when we started fading, I started detaching. At halftime, Ryan kept asking me, "ARE YOU BELIEVING?" No, I wasn't. Although I do buy into the notion that our thoughts can set up energy patterns that are either creative or destructive. So, I tried. In the second half, I felt a great calm come over me. I was accepting the loss. I was loving the team. I was good.

Well, we all know the rest of the story. At some point during the last 6 (?) minutes, I got my frenzy on. At the two minute mark we were all standing up. The yelling was so epic that my husband shoved napkins in his ears. And just as I didn't get how we had beaten Gonzaga, I really was not getting how we were beating Virginia!! HOW IS THIS HAPPENING????!!!!

The rest is literally history.

So, I admit it. While fiercely loving the team, I had given up on them. Isn't it wonderful sometimes to be proven wrong?

I was ready with the "so proud of our guys" speech. Was practicing it in my head during the game. (These are speeches I usually give to myself.) During the Gonzaga game, I was emotionally in there clawing and screeching and imploring. I was with a group of people with whom I have watched a hundred away games. We are an intense little group, especially 25 year old Ryan, who told me before the first game, "Peggy, we are going all the way this year. I feel it. I FEEL it."

"Sure, we are, Ryan," I said, worrying about his mental health. And then we started to win.

Virginia was different, though. They were a LEGIT #1 seed. They were "the best team left in the tourney." And when we started fading, I started detaching. At halftime, Ryan kept asking me, "ARE YOU BELIEVING?" No, I wasn't. Although I do buy into the notion that our thoughts can set up energy patterns that are either creative or destructive. So, I tried. In the second half, I felt a great calm come over me. I was accepting the loss. I was loving the team. I was good.

Well, we all know the rest of the story. At some point during the last 6 (?) minutes, I got my frenzy on. At the two minute mark we were all standing up. The yelling was so epic that my husband shoved napkins in his ears. And just as I didn't get how we had beaten Gonzaga, I really was not getting how we were beating Virginia!! HOW IS THIS HAPPENING????!!!!

So, I admit it. While fiercely loving the team, I had given up on them. Isn't it wonderful sometimes to be proven wrong?

Hey, it's 3/28 and we are still talking about the 2015-16 season!!!! Pitch me!!!

Around the 10 minute mark, I started to concede. At that point, I was just happy that we weren't quitting and we were keeping it close and respectable. I was just really proud of the effort they were showing. And then...wow. Next thing you know, we're the ones in the commanding position and hoping that we can hang on. In the words of Coach K: Amazing.

I haven't been as anxious watching SU basketball since 1987. We've been taking over at the end of games with clutch offensive and defensive play. Our best segment of games has been the last 3 minutes, guaranteeing maximum torment and exhilaration. I'd like to reflect wisely but am still at WOW!!!!

Which is why you aren't a national commentator:)

I was of similar mindset and, as a result, was quite calm when the final buzzer sounded.
Same. My wife was truly amazed at halftime, when we were down huge and I kept saying all gravy, all gravy, respect to UVA, respect to our kids for fighting this entire season, nothing to be ashamed about etc.

Brought my son back in the room when the comeback started and he and I were loose as a goose at that point. Still went crazy at the end, but we were more reserved at that point than normally.

Still unbelievable. Might watch the highlights of this game for weeks after.

I tried to keep it close to the vest. My fear was that we would make it a game only to lose a close one which is worse than getting blown out. My first outburst came when G hucked up that 3 with 27 seconds on the shot clock up 6 with about 2:35 to play. "What the **** is he doing" I yelled. My wife smiled and said to the kids - he's back.

This team has played with some incredible heart these last two games. Have you guys heard the stats in crunch time of both games? It's been going around the web, Syracuse has allowed a combined total of SEVEN points in the final 7 minutes or so in both the Gonzaga AND Virginia games together. That's filthy. 7 Points in almost 14 minutes play time.

Last edited:
nothing like watching with my wife who makes us DVR everygame and we are always 10-15 min behind when a game ends.. when the phones start ringing i know some crazy thing happens at the end, but since we were 12 pts down when it happened this week, you never quite know what to do.. usually i dont look at my phone or the answering machine, but she does all the time and so many time she sees the results.. or she hits the wrong button and the game forwards to the end..

6d202ffdbb9b572bce94a3cb07dbc12f.jpg

I think I was there as well...at the under 12 timeout some folks at our party were grumbling and I told them to just enjoy the game and the ride the kids took us on. I didn't feel we needed to get worked up over losing to Virginia. At the same time I said I thought we had one last run in us but I never imagined we would flip the game so quickly...it was stunning how fast we went from down 15 to up 6.

This has been surreal. I was okay with any result in any of the NCAA games (because of the Pitt loss) but I never felt like we were out of it. Gonzaga, I was disheartened after Wiltjer canned about 10 thirty foot shots but I looked and we were still in the game. Same thing with Virginia, it just never felt like we were out of it. After the half with Gonzaga, I knew we had a good shot. I didn't think we had it in us for Virginia. I stayed quiet and kept my hand over my mouth because I didn't want to yell when we screwed up the end.
Now, I'm okay with anything that happens with UNC. But, we can win that game.

This has been surreal. I was okay with any result in any of the NCAA games (because of the Pitt loss) but I never felt like we were out of it. Gonzaga, I was disheartened after Wiltjer canned about 10 thirty foot shots but I looked and we were still in the game. Same thing with Virginia, it just never felt like we were out of it. After the half with Gonzaga, I knew we had a good shot. I didn't think we had it in us for Virginia. I stayed quiet and kept my hand over my mouth because I didn't want to yell when we screwed up the end.
Now, I'm okay with anything that happens with UNC. But, we can win that game.
Yes we can!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom