Ichiro to the Yanks | Syracusefan.com

Ichiro to the Yanks

jekelish

Living Legend
And of course, the Yankees play in Seattle tonight.

Wow.

Jack Curry of YES Network reports that the Yankees have acquired Ichiro Suzuki from the Mariners for right-handers D.J. Mitchell and Danny Fahrquar.
The Yankees are also expected to get an undisclosed amount of cash in the deal. The deal comes as quite a surprise, as Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik said as recently as last week that he expected the impending free agent to return next season. The 38-year-old will wrap up his tenure in Seattle with a .322 batting average and 2,533 hits over 12 seasons. He's hitting just .261/.288/.353 with four home runs, 28 RBI, 15 stolen bases and a .642 OPS through 95 games in 2012. Given the minimal cost and the expectation that Brett Gardner (elbow) will miss the rest of the season, it's a nice gamble for the Bombers. Interestingly enough, the Yankees and Mariners begin a three-game series Monday night in Seattle.

I'm assuming that Wise gets DFA'd.

Good deal for Yanks. Maybe Ichiro can hit with guys on base and not try for a Home Run. I know he is only a .260 hitter these days but still.

I don't hate the deal because the Yankees aren't giving up much, but Ichiro appears to be done. He might not be better than Wise at this point.

I thought the Knicks had cornered the market on washed up 38 year olds.
I hardly think so in Suzuki's case. He can still get on base and be left there by the younger big bats as well as before.:rolleyes:

I don't hate the deal because the Yankees aren't giving up much, but Ichiro appears to be done. He might not be better than Wise at this point.
We will see about that shortly.couchburn

I was at Yankee Stadium one of the first times that Ichiro came to town to play vs Hideki Matsui. Lots of Japanese fans in the stands. I think he is going to be a big fan favorite. I give my approval as well.

I like the deal based on the assets traded even if it's only a loan for four months. A lot better than the Braves deal with Dempster. Cashman has been the saving grace in an era of win now teams and has protected his farm system better and better every year. The Braves on the other hand gave up on Delgado who is only 22 for a 35 year old but clearly they think this is the year to go for it with it being Chippers last year and the Phillies being awful.

Are you sure? OBP = 288 this season.
He may be washed up but at least he will be the pitchers 7th concern in the Yankees line up rather than first in that awful Mariners line up.

Ichiro still can run, play the outfield and throw. If his bat comes alive a bit in NY that will be a bonus. It's a good move as far as I'm concerned.

Yanks have enough guys that can hit it out of the park. I don't mind them picking up a singles hitter that can advance the runners and drive in runs.

Good trade.

Between Ichiro, Jones and Ibanez, we'll have the oldest OF's in the league.

I don't mind them picking up a singles hitter that can advance the runners and drive in runs.
I don't know that he is even that guy anymore.

Again, I don't mind the trade because the Yankees gave up nothing. I hope Yankee fans are not expecting the Ichiro of four years ago. His average is way down over the last two seasons. I am not a huge fan of Wise, but it's very possible that he is a superior player to Ichiro at this point.

I don't know that he is even that guy anymore.

Again, I don't mind the trade because the Yankees gave up nothing. I hope Yankee fans are not expecting the Ichiro of four years ago. His average is way down over the last two seasons. I am not a huge fan of Wise, but it's very possible that he is a superior player to Ichiro at this point.

I can't say that I've kept track of Ichiro over the past few seasons. But maybe the protection of the Yankee's lineup can help rejuvenate his career. Not having to be "the man" may do wonders for him.

All they need is for him to slap around some singles here and there. Kinda like the Andruw Jones. Go out there every few days...hit a homerun now-n-again...and don't make any errors in the field.

Bat him 6th or 7th and hope he can move some of the power guys around. But if age has slowed his bat, there really isn't a cure for that.

I glanced up at the screen & saw Ichiro in the 8th position in the Yankee lineup. I was sure it was a mistake until I looked up in the 2nd inning & saw him in a Yankee uniform, holy shocker. Real good pick up to replace Gardner's speed & fielding & who knows maybe IS will become recharged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom