If Battle comes back next year.. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

If Battle comes back next year..

agreed. but id like to have more than one championship and avoid the nit or have years like last year. it seems like a level of program like ours shouldn't have to put up with nit or years like last

Kentucky and Duke occasionally have crappy years like that, too. NOBODY is immune.
UK reloaded with 5*'s after a NC, and still ended up losing to Robert Morris in the NIT.

There IS NO "level of program" where that sorta thing doesn't happen on occasion. And certainly not ours.
At Duke, it usually coincides with Coach K having some really bad back pains. :rolleyes:

You suggested earlier that SU doesn't reload like truly elite programs do, so why should the occasional down year surprise you?

I am not surprised when we suck. but a program like ours should reload and stay elite every year.

Kentucky and Duke occasionally have crappy years like that, too. NOBODY is immune.
UK reloaded with 5*'s after a NC, and still ended up losing to Robert Morris in the NIT.

There IS NO "level of program" where that sorta thing doesn't happen on occasion. And certainly not ours.
At Duke, it usually coincides with Coach K having some really bad back pains. :rolleyes:

how many years over the past 2 decades have duke missed the ncaas? or Kansas, unc, msu etc

well ok state and florida state don't normally get elite talent on yearly basis so I cant really answer to that. Duke on the other hand reloads when they lose players. I mean look at Tucker. he would have started here and chooses duke to ride the bench. I guess I am just saying that we don't replace those who leave early.

You said "I never understood why it seems other programs get their star players to come back but we don’t. I literally can’t remember when our star player came back for another year."

I gave you specific examples and you've changed the argument to "well we don't reload"

I'd just like the narrative that we have more players leave early than others to end

how many years over the past 2 decades have duke missed the ncaas? or Kansas, unc, msu etc
More than you think. And they've also had their share of embarrassing early NCAAT flameouts.

Orange2389 you're kind of new, so I'm going to give you a pointer.

It's 2017. We all have tiny supercomputers in our pockets. So if you're going to make a claims on a message board full of SU diehards that "we've never been ranked top 5 preseason" it MIGHT be a good idea to pause for a second do some quick fact checking.

don't be a baby. JB is a goat, but our program should change recruiting tactics to remain elite every year not just a few times per decade

And what would those magical recruiting tactics be?

Or is that someone else's job (JB's) to figure that out? You are just here to point out the problem.

Maybe we could relocate the program to somewhere warmer where people have more disposable income and where some deep-pocketed boosters are.

Or you could just find a another program to root for that does have elite players every year. Given as many people that appear to hate Duke, they may need a few more fans.

Sanctions had no effect on this program. Some of you people are crazy. It's not like there was a guy dropping bombs on our home court literally two nights ago who could've been in orange if not for scholarship reductions.

Such nonsense.

We sure Battle is a sure fire first rounder this year? I am not. If he's not grading out as a no brainer first rounder, it may make sense to come back. The following year will be an odd one b/c it may be year one of hs kids getting drafted again and college kids having to wait 2 full years.
Parrish already has him in the low 20's and we just played are first televised game where he was only at 50%. Once he scores 18-20 points in another 10-12 games I can't imagine his stock going down. To be honest I don't want him coming back. He had a foot issue in high school and who knows if something with it could happen again. If so he would drop as it would probably be labeled recurring. Not worth the risk for him. I always had him labeled as a 2 year kid. We have Frank Howard and Jalen Carey at the guard spot with Washington backing up or even Hughes helping if need be. We have good guard depth next year.

We get bent out of shape because when players leave early, the staff doesn't replace them properly. It always a "surprise" to the fans etc when they finally leave. Duke, UNC, Kentucky etc don't mind when players leave because they reload next year. SU doesn't. JB has been on record saying that he thinks a few players made a mistake by going early. Why not recruit elite players in case they don't come back? Maybe its time to start following other elite like Duke, UNC, Kansas etc. Its not like JB recruits for the zone... what about Flynn, GMac, etc. They aren't big.

Your first problem is that we are not Duke/UNC/Kentucky and probably never will be. I just don't think we can recruit at the same level as those 3.The staff doesn't always have a good feel if a player will leave early (see Tyler Ennis). I'm sure Jimmy B would love to consistently land elite players but thats not always the case.

We are a program who does not reload when players leave early. When Lydon left, we were left with last years trainwreck. Not acceptable for a program of our status. My beef is that JB claims to have been caught off guard with a few players leaving. What! Why not reload next year so we are always in the hunt for a title?? Or are we not as elite as we thought??
Hahaha wow we have a limited amount of scholarships.

Someone tell JB that he's coaching the little elite program that could.

why be snarky? did I offend you or something? I am raising valid points about the nba and recruiting process here

Your first problem is that we are not Duke/UNC/Kentucky and probably never will be. I just don't think we can recruit at the same level as those 3.The staff doesn't always have a good feel if a player will leave early (see Tyler Ennis). I'm sure Jimmy B would love to consistently land elite players but thats not always the case.

agreed. it seems to me that we aren't at the same level at those schools and I believe JB realizes that

Hahaha wow we have a limited amount of scholarships.

yes, over the past 5 years we were. what about the past couple decades... we only have a few final fours.. just seems we should strive to be better on an annual basis

Parrish already has him in the low 20's and we just played are first televised game where he was only at 50%. Once he scores 18-20 points in another 10-12 games I can't imagine his stock going down. To be honest I don't want him coming back. He had a foot issue in high school and who knows if something with it could happen again. If so he would drop as it would probably be labeled recurring. Not worth the risk for him. I always had him labeled as a 2 year kid. We have Frank Howard and Jalen Carey at the guard spot with Washington backing up or even Hughes helping if need be. We have good guard depth next year.

And with the current back issue, that has to be yet another reminder as to why he needs to leave after this year. He gone.

Give 2389 a link back to the same arguments that he is running with. This is boring and unproductive for all the reasons that have been rehashed ad infinitum.
Somebody bring out the beaten horse! I'm out of here.

care to explain? I have stated that when we lose players , we don't plan accordingly and reload. my additional point has been that SU never seems to get star players to return for another year. Lydon could have helped last year, possibly made us a tourney team. battle could help our team win a title if he came back. I am merely trying to discuss what ifs.