If Battle comes back next year.. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If Battle comes back next year..

Ugh I hope they both stay. I understand Battle leaving but I'm getting sick of a whole new roster every year. Wish I was alive during the time players stayed 3-4 years.

You weren't alive for:
AO, RickJack, Scoop, KrisJo, BTriche, CJ Fair, Southy, Rakeem, Silent G, and the Cooney Bros?

man, you're young. do your parents know you're using their computer? :p

Was probably addressed already, but I'm too lazy to read. Lydon is not an example of a star player staying an extra year. He was good as a frosh but probably the 3rd or 4th best player on the team.

Was probably addressed already, but I'm too lazy to read. Lydon is not an example of a star player staying an extra year. He was good as a frosh but probably the 3rd or 4th best player on the team.

Using this logic, how does McCollugh or Grant count as someone who left early affecting the team.

Using this logic, how does McCollugh or Grant count as someone who left early affecting the team.

The only thing I remember about McCoulough is his goofy picture of him dunking in High School.

Question: "... why SU can't get at least one big time player to come back to win a championship."

Answer: "Millions of Dollars".

Next question?

why do players seem to stay at UNC or even DUKE to a degree? Don't say BS classes or the magical purses. What do those programs have that we don't?

Let me disavow you of this foolish notion right here, and right now. He's not coming back next year.

What happens if Silver gets his way and one-and-done is banished with this year's freshman class grandfathered in. What happens if in addition to the expected draft eligible players guys like Barrett, Williamson, Langford, Reddish, Simons and a dozen others are suddenly draft eligible? Where does Battle end up in a historically loaded draft class like that and might that be a game changer?

What happens if Silver gets his way and one-and-done is banished with this year's freshman class grandfathered in. What happens if in addition to the expected draft eligible players guys like Barrett, Williamson, Langford, Reddish, Simons and a dozen others are suddenly draft eligible? Where does Battle end up in a historically loaded draft class like that and might that be a game changer?

Answering my own question, I guess in that scenario we might need to find a replacement for Bazley...

Ahhh already one of these threads after 6 games. Just enjoy the season and let it play out. Most of these kids dream of playing in the NBA and making money. No idea why some get so bent out of shape (see Lydon, Ennis, and Grant) when a kid decides to enter the NBA draft as an underclassmen when certain SU fans feel they are not ready. It's nobody's decision but his and his family.

We get bent out of shape because when players leave early, the staff doesn't replace them properly. It always a "surprise" to the fans etc when they finally leave. Duke, UNC, Kentucky etc don't mind when players leave because they reload next year. SU doesn't. JB has been on record saying that he thinks a few players made a mistake by going early. Why not recruit elite players in case they don't come back? Maybe its time to start following other elite like Duke, UNC, Kansas etc. Its not like JB recruits for the zone... what about Flynn, GMac, etc. They aren't big.

This.

Here is another example. Programs like Duke or Kansas wouldn't have cared as much if a grant or cmac left. They would have reloaded. People say JB doesn't recruit that way and only recruits for the zone. Again, why bother getting gmac or Flynn then? They aren't big guards

Exactly. Let's not act like we're the only program with guys who leave early.

We are a program who does not reload when players leave early. When Lydon left, we were left with last years trainwreck. Not acceptable for a program of our status. My beef is that JB claims to have been caught off guard with a few players leaving. What! Why not reload next year so we are always in the hunt for a title?? Or are we not as elite as we thought??

Greene
Flynn
Johnson
Fab
Waiters
MCW
Ennis
Grant
McCullough
Richardson

If any of these players came back for an extra year our program would have had special seasons. Duke Kansas UNC etc either have these type of players come back or reload and have special seasons anyways

Here is another example. Programs like Duke or Kansas wouldn't have cared as much if a grant or cmac left. They would have reloaded. People say JB doesn't recruit that way and only recruits for the zone. Again, why bother getting gmac or Flynn then? They aren't big guards

You aren't addressing my point. If Lydon doesn't count as a star returning player, neither would Fab, neither would CMac, neither would Grant.

Lydon was a returning star player. Battle is a returning star player. They could have gone early. It kills the narrative so we ignore it

Yep this happens to every other team in college basketball. I've documented many times on the board and it continues to be ignored. We don't have more people leave than other teams.

We also don't prepare for their departures at ALL. When battle leaves, we have baz and carey but why cant our program get a player like battle to stay and play on a national contender? lifes not fair I guess

You aren't addressing my point. If Lydon doesn't count as a star returning player, neither would Fab, neither would CMac, neither would Grant.

Lydon was a returning star player. Battle is a returning star player. They could have gone early. It kills the narrative so we ignore it

they could have gone early? where? to the second round?

We get bent out of shape because when players leave early, the staff doesn't replace them properly. It always a "surprise" to the fans etc when they finally leave. Duke, UNC, Kentucky etc don't mind when players leave because they reload next year. SU doesn't. JB has been on record saying that he thinks a few players made a mistake by going early. Why not recruit elite players in case they don't come back? Maybe its time to start following other elite like Duke, UNC, Kansas etc. Its not like JB recruits for the zone... what about Flynn, GMac, etc. They aren't big.
Considering he doesn't reload, I'd say JB has done pretty well for himself and the program.

You weren't alive for:
AO, RickJack, Scoop, KrisJo, BTriche, CJ Fair, Southy, Rakeem, Silent G, and the Cooney Bros?

man, you're young. do your parents know you're using their computer? :p

these players helped form a golden era for cuse hoops. perfect combo of young and old.

Considering he doesn't reload, I'd say JB has done pretty well for himself and the program.

agreed. but id like to have more than one championship and avoid the nit or have years like last year. it seems like a level of program like ours shouldn't have to put up with nit or years like last

they could have gone early? where? to the second round?

Yes to the second round. Like Frank Jackson, Jawun Evans, Dwayne Bacon among others. But that doesn't count for Duke, Okla State, or Florida state I guess

Yes to the second round. Like Frank Jackson, Jawun Evans, Dwayne Bacon among others. But that doesn't count for Duke, Okla State, or Florida state I guess

well ok state and florida state don't normally get elite talent on yearly basis so I cant really answer to that. Duke on the other hand reloads when they lose players. I mean look at Tucker. he would have started here and chooses duke to ride the bench. I guess I am just saying that we don't replace those who leave early.

If your point is JB sucks, I'm not interested in continuing. Later.

don't be a baby. JB is a goat, but our program should change recruiting tactics to remain elite every year not just a few times per decade

agreed. but id like to have more than one championship and avoid the nit or have years like last year. it seems like a level of program like ours shouldn't have to put up with nit or years like last
You suggested earlier that SU doesn't reload like truly elite programs do, so why should the occasional down year surprise you?