If Battle comes back next year.. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

If Battle comes back next year..

care to explain? I have stated that when we lose players , we don't plan accordingly and reload. my additional point has been that SU never seems to get star players to return for another year. Lydon could have helped last year, possibly made us a tourney team. battle could help our team win a title if he came back. I am merely trying to discuss what ifs.

Discussing what ifs is pointless if you don't acknowledge that other schools are losing players as well.

Lydon was not considered a first round lock nor was he a college star. I am talking about big time players that come back when they could have been 1st rounders.

If we are going to engage in this debate, then I'd ask the question, who are all these big time stars that project as 1st round picks that come back to other programs?

Who I ask you?

I never understood why it seems other programs get their star players to come back but we don’t. I literally can’t remember when our star player came back for another year. Fair wasn’t considered a legit lottery player and he was the only one in recent memory that came back after even thinking about leaving.

Any time a cuse players smells first round they gone. What does that say about us ? It’s frustrsting always waitng for the big year when a big piece bolts for the nba
Derrick Coleman. We were thrilled. I haven’t read the rest of the posts yet, but DERRICK.

Derrick Coleman. We were thrilled. I haven’t read the rest of the posts yet, but DERRICK.
That was a different time of course, when top players commonly stayed for four years.

The topic has been talked about to the point there is nothing left to say. In the last few months, no, but this past spring and summer it was beaten to death.

why be snarky? did I offend you or something? I am raising valid points about the nba and recruiting process here

No you're not raising valid points at all. All you're doing is showing a blatant lack of understanding about how high level college hoops recruiting and NBA drafting works. Many people here have made valid points in response to your questions but your an answer each time basically bowls down to "I don't like this answer so I choose not to believe it."

He’s saying they left early and like Lydon weren’t the best players on their team yet people still were mad.

...and if they came back, they would have been the best players the next year

I submit that our run of 1st round draft picks suggests that we do in fact reload.
I would add that I think Carey is the reload for Battle. JB would have preferred someone in already (he likes 2 and dones better than one and done) but Q Greene opted out.

For center nothing is needed now with PC and Sid still having eligibility left. But I believe JB will be stud hunting in 2019 with already identified targets of I Stewart and/or Cofi. Would work nice.

Bazely is the reload at forward. I hope we don't get hit too hard there - I hope Oshae and MD don't both leave.

Next year we would be stacked. Never has our team been ranked top 5 preseason

Not sure what you are talking about - but here is the last 33 years of our top 10 preseason rankings. Surely you knew we were preseason 1 in DC/Owens/Sherm era

85/86: 4
87/88: 1

88/89: 8
89/90: 1
03/04: 7
04/05: 6
11/12: 5
12/13: 9
13/14: 8

I am not surprised when we suck. but a program like ours should reload and stay elite every year.
recency bias
let me remind you:
in the six year run from 2008-9 to 2013-14, syracuse had the 3rd most wins of all teams in the nation.
kansas 183-37 with 1 final four run 14-6 overall ncaa record
duke 180-39 with 1 final four run & 1 title 13-5 overall ncaa record
syracuse 177-42 with 1 final four run 13-6 overall ncaa record

then sanctions hit

and now we're back

Entered 1987-88 campaign ranked #1. Lost first game, the Tip-Off Classic in Springfield, to inferior UNC squad.

And remained #1 the next week. Because, back in the '80s when college basketball was a real sport, polls weren't treated as some kind of power ranking to be changed with every win and loss.

Top 5 preseason ranking

Howard
Battle
Brisset
Baz
Sidibe

Bench-
Carey
Hughes
Chukwu
Marek

Don’t play
Washington
Moyer
Boeheim

This is the team to give JB his 2nd championship

upload_2017-11-30_12-8-44.jpeg

I know this is going to sound weird and crazy but I want him to leave. I want to keep the 1st round draftees streak going. It's a good sell to recruits

Yeah, I can see that.

I want him to make the Sweet 16 this year and feel like next year they could make it all the way and decide to come back.

But again, he gone.

Can we wait until midway through ACC play to make these threads?

No. If we did that, then we'd have to go back to talking about what we are having for lunch.

Week old turkey for me. But finishing the last of it off today. I just hope it doesn't finish me off as well...

If we are going to engage in this debate, then I'd ask the question, who are all these big time stars that project as 1st round picks that come back to other programs?

Who I ask you?
Bridges at MSU?