If even 98% Healthy - How Far Are We? | Syracusefan.com

If even 98% Healthy - How Far Are We?

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
After watching our defense vs Clemson, what is the actual size of the talent gap at Syracuse?

The score didn’t reflect the competitiveness of most of the game. Another year, another inspiring performance by the defense squandered by an epic collapse from
the O.

Except this time, Cisco/Trill/Coley were not names in the box score. We were missing 3 of our top veterans. Who took their place?

Ja’had Carter. FR
Rob Hanna. FR
Aman Greenwood. R FR

They’re undersized, because they’re freshmen. But wow these kids have game.

Garrett Williams, Mikel Jones, Geoff Cantin Arku, Marlowe Wax, Stef Thompson. All younger names all consistently impressing.

These kids will get bigger in the offseason, and will form the core of a top ACC unit in years to come especially if Trill’s back.

The gap I see on D is on the line, but we are building depth slowly. We’d benefit a lot from
any of Bear, Josh, Kingsley deciding to come back. I don’t see it happening though, it’s a lot to ask of a kid.

On O, admittedly I’m hesitant here. There’s a clear gap, mostly because of depth, at QB. Thats inarguable. We do not have serviceable backups, period. Hopefully we bring in competition from the portal alongside Lamson. I want to see Tommy healthy and back, but he and the team only benefit from competition in camp.

WR. The drops and mental errors are frustrating. Very frustrating. I’d LOVE if Erv or Alec came back to help the staff and show these kids the attitude and effort you need to be successful on an every down basis. I think Queeley has “it”. Im impressed with EH’s size, control and ability to play over the coverage. We havent had that since Custis. Im confused why Courtney’s not gotten more looks in the slot, or maybe Lutz too. NJ’s improved, and he’d be up there with Harris in yards and TD’s if he’d just fine tune the mental errors. Drops on slants that’d lead to firsts or more cannot happen in our offense. It just cannot.

I think size and athleticism wise, the gaps closing at WR. Be it coaching or dedication to craft, my question lies in development.

RB and TE are A-OK.

The OL, the lack of spring practices killed us, and the injuries are unreal. We have size and experience coming back. Cav’s done a good job recruiting and rebuilding the foundation for coming years. It’s on the coaches to revisit our conditioning, nutrition and rehabilitation approaches, this amount of injuries does not just happen. I think OL’s more about experience and coaching rather than pure talent or upside. So remains to be seen here.

All in all, I see the “talent” situation improving.

People need to remind themselves of the injuries, opt outs and transfers/program drops.

Rewatch UNC and Clemson. The talent is absolutely building. Now we need to figure out the DL, QB and keeping the hippos healthy.

If that healthy I think we are a true #1 WR away and maybe another big body in the middle of the D.

We’ll always be banged up and have injuries, it’s p5 football.

But if we even had half the hurt OL back, this team’s different. Without COVID, I doubt Howard’s out too. Do we know he actually committed to training for the NFL too? Or is he just a covid opt out? I’d welcome him back for experienced depth with Tucker.

After watching our defense vs Clemson, what is the actual size of the talent gap at Syracuse?

The score didn’t reflect the competitiveness of most of the game. Another year, another inspiring performance by the defense squandered by an epic collapse from
the O.

Except this time, Cisco/Trill/Coley were not names in the box score. We were missing 3 of our top veterans. Who took their place?

Ja’had Carter. FR
Rob Hanna. FR
Aman Greenwood. R FR

Garrett Williams, Mikel Jones, Geoff Cantin Arku, Marlowe Wax, Stef Thompson. All younger names all consistently impressing.

These kids will get bigger in the offseason, and will form the core of a top ACC unit in years to come especially if Trill’s back.

The gap I see on D is on the line, but we are building depth slowly. We’d benefit a lot from
any of Bear, Josh, Kingsley deciding to come back. I don’t see it happening though, it’s a lot to ask of a kid.

On O, admittedly I’m hesitant here. There’s a clear gap, mostly because of depth, at QB. Thats inarguable. We do not have serviceable backups, period. Hopefully we bring in competition from the portal alongside Lamson. I want to see Tommy healthy and back, but he and the team only benefit from competition in camp.

WR. The drops and mental errors are frustrating. Very frustrating. I’d LOVE if Erv or Alec came back to help the staff and show these kids the attitude and effort you need to be successful on an every down basis. I think Queeley has “it”. Im impressed with EH’s size, control and ability to play over the coverage. We havent had that since Custis. Im confused why Courtney’s not gotten more looks in the slot, or maybe Lutz too. NJ’s improved, and he’d be up there with Harris in yards and TD’s if he’d just fine tune the mental errors. Drops on slants that’d lead to firsts or more cannot happen in our offense. It just cannot.

I think size and athleticism wise, the gaps closing at WR. Be it coaching or dedication to craft, my question lies in development.

RB and TE are A-OK.

The OL, the lack of spring practices killed us, and the injuries are unreal. We have size and experience coming back. Cav’s done a good job recruiting and rebuilding the foundation for coming years. It’s on the coaches to revisit our conditioning, nutrition and rehabilitation approaches, this amount of injuries does not just happen. I think OL’s more about experience and coaching rather than pure talent or upside. So remains to be seen here.

People need to remind themselves of the injuries, opt outs and transfers/program drops.

Rewatch UNC and Clemson. The talent is absolutely building. Now we need to figure out the DL, QB and keeping the hippos healthy.
Close to Clemson talent or ACC as a whole talent?

Close to Clemson talent or ACC as a whole talent?
We will never be comparable to Clemson talent. ACC/top 50 programs as a whole.

I think we have the foundation at this point, when healthy of course.

I mentioned Clemson as that game provides a glimpse of what our young talent may be capable of. The D hit hard and gave your O fits for 65% of the game. When Etienne got it going again, and our O predictably fell apart it was ova.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying. Yes I agree the foundation is definitely there. Recruiting is heading in the right direction as well with the oline being a big part.

Syracuse has Clemson's number there is no other way to put it. No team in the last few years has played Clemson better. Both teams had key players out and yet Syracuse looked fundamentally sound for the most part, while Clemson looked disjointed.

I always look at it as how many guys on our team would start for the opponent today. I never factor in tomorrow because the roster churn, player development, etc - always makes that risky. I think we are a ways away from being week in and week out competitive over 12 weeks because we seem to see more Liberty efforts than Clemson efforts. That said we have some talented youngsters on D.

the O.

Ja’had Carter. FR
Rob Hanna. FR
Aman Greenwood. R FR

RB and TE are A-OK.

They were rotating like 5- 300lb defensive tackles out there all day long and that was with their AA DT not playing (if I'm not mistaken.)

They were rotating like 5- 300lb defensive tackles out there all day long and that was with their AA DT not playing (if I'm not mistaken.)
Well, they are Clemson.

I don't think we're as far away as people here think. Duke and Liberty were soul crushing, so I don't discount the pessimism, but we have the potential to be good next year.
Think Duke and Liberty’s the outcome of a collapsed QB situation paired with a ...questionable... continuance of high tempo on O which kills the D

I see what you're saying. Yes I agree the foundation is definitely there. Recruiting is heading in the right direction as well with the oline being a big part.

Syracuse has Clemson's number there is no other way to put it. No team in the last few years has played Clemson better. Both teams had key players out and yet Syracuse looked fundamentally sound for the most part, while Clemson looked disjointed.

That's what happens when you play a scrappy bunch of scrapers.

Reactions: gbo
I think these types of questions are dangerous, in a sense. We play well against Clemson but get crushed against Liberty. It’s hard to tell which team we really are. IF we played the way we played against Clemson we’d be a much better team this year BUT we haven’t. We’ve played more games looking like a 1 win team than a team that’s on the cusp as being almost as good as Clemson.

I know people won’t like that but this staff hasn’t proven it can be “consistently good and not occasionally great”. It’s just a fact, our record the last 4 years shows that. Lots of teams show up to play well against the marquee opponent. We always seems to have OOC teams play us tough over the years. I feel like we’re more the OOC team that plays well against the big boy but is not a great team the rest of the season. Until this staff shows it can win consistently it’s hard to think we’re close to even being middle of the pack in the ACC.

I think these types of questions are dangerous, in a sense. We play well against Clemson but get crushed against Liberty. It’s hard to tell which team we really are. IF we played the way we played against Clemson we’d be a much better team this year BUT we haven’t. We’ve played more games looking like a 1 win team than a team that’s on the cusp as being almost as good as Clemson.

I know people won’t like that but this staff hasn’t proven it can be “consistently good and not occasionally great”. It’s just a fact, our record the last 4 years shows that. Lots of teams show up to play well against the marquee opponent. We always seems to have OOC teams play us tough over the years. I feel like we’re more the OOC team that plays well against the big boy but is not a great team the rest of the season. Until this staff shows it can win consistently it’s hard to think we’re close to even being middle of the pack in the ACC.
Think a difference between those examples may have been a change of tempo to try and minimize Clemson possessions this weekend. Anyone, please correct me if I’m wrong. But I feel like we ditched up-tempo vs Clemson and it helps for about 3 quarters.

Liberty was a thing but they didnt dominate in any way.. They just ran a play that the young kids did not do the proper run fit for several times. Duke exposed it first

Liberty was a thing but they didnt dominate in any way.. They just ran a play that the young kids did not do the proper run fit for several times. Duke exposed it first
Liberty imposed their initiative in the run game and we responded by handing them the ball back rapidly.

I think Liberty is better than most here think. SEC level HC, good transfers, etc. They are undefeated.

I'm of the mind that we should always beat G5 schools - but some here are acting like they are the bottom end of the G5 and I don't think that's true.

---

As for the OP?

I think there is a lot of reason for optimism on both sides of the ball and agree with Trueblue25 assessment on the whole.

The hidden silver lining is what I've been saying - this year is a glorified exhibition season since it doesn't count eligibility-wise; They didn't know how many games they'd actually play, no fans, no spring camp, limited fall camp, juiced up all ACC schedule, etc. The "win" is experience, game tape of the young kids, and hopefully seniors stick around to provide cover for the next recruiting class to redshirt and get ready.

I like what Sterlin did in the Clemson game, slowing it up - deliberate play calling. If Tucker had played the 2nd half maybe we stick around even longer into the 4th. The emergence of the run game and the OL getting better combined with maybe getting some of those OL back next year gives me hope for TD (and hopefully some QB depth with Lamson and Jacobian).

I'm also really curious what kind of circus is created by the new transfer rules alongside this extra eligibility from COVID. Could be some opportunities to strategically fill some holes if we can limit our losses.

I think with only a few injuries/opt outs this team could’ve won 5 or 6 games this year. Closest they were to healthy was UNC game and that was still with only a handful of OL healthy.

Team still needed another WR, big NT and good depth at QB to be a great team, but you can see the foundation being laid here that can result in multiple winning seasons going forward.

Think Duke and Liberty’s the outcome of a collapsed QB situation paired with a ...questionable... continuance of high tempo on O which kills the D
This ^^. I would prefer the tempo from the Clemson game with 2-3 series where we throw in some up-tempo to try to catch the defense unprepared.

Think a difference between those examples may have been a change of tempo to try and minimize Clemson possessions this weekend. Anyone, please correct me if I’m wrong. But I feel like we ditched up-tempo vs Clemson and it helps for about 3 quarters.
It did seem a more deliberate pace. I think Clemson pulling away had as much, or more, to do with Rex's bad turnovers as it did with fatigue on the defense. We "gave" away 14 points with the fumble return and the int return. I'm not saying we would have been able to stop the run on longer drives (I remember 2018), but 2 of the 3 late TDs they got were on a total of <10 yards of offense.

They didn’t dominate? Both their lines manhandled our lines. That’s for starters

Its the "youth" across the board.. Its the fact this is our first year with both OC and DC and they had nearly zero time to prep for the season the right way.. That's why the play is so uneven.. now add injuries in key positions.. it makes the situation even worse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom