If for some stupid reason the ACC plays football this fall | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If for some stupid reason the ACC plays football this fall

Doesn't this seem similar to how the conference started canceling their bball tourneys in March? It only seems like a matter of time to me.

If there is an outbreak in the conferences that say open, think of the poor optics alone.

Quite obviously about $$$, and one of the many things that we've learned over the last few months is how cash strapped schools are and how $$$ trumps everything, including health and personal safety.

Doesn't this seem similar to how the conference started canceling their bball tourneys in March? It only seems like a matter of time to me.

If there is an outbreak in the conferences that say open, think of the poor optics alone.

Quite obviously about $$$, and one of the many things that we've learned over the last few months is how cash strapped schools are and how $$$ trumps everything, including health and personal safety.
It’s different. Those tournaments were cancelled because of the crowds and then players weren’t safe.

Now we have teams that have access to testing if the schools/conferences choose to spend on the tests.

I don’t want to see college athletes in a pandemic but the reasons the Big Ten and Pac-12 tapped out aren’t they are scared of Covid. They used player safety as a cover. They didn’t want the players organizing and changing the current system.

They are scared of the college model changing. So they shut down college athletics now and used player safety as an excuse.

Player safety is why the players shouldn’t play but the Big Ten would have risked those athletes health if fhey weren’t worried about them organizing.

It’s different. Those tournaments were cancelled because of the crowds and then players weren’t safe.

Now we have teams that have access to testing if the schools/conferences choose to spend on the tests.

I don’t want to see college athletes in a pandemic but the reasons the Big Ten and Pac-12 tapped out aren’t they are scared of Covid. They used player safety as a cover. They didn’t want the players organizing and changing the current system.

They are scared of the college model changing. So they shut down college athletics now and used player safety as an excuse.

Player safety is why the players shouldn’t play but the Big Ten would have risked those athletes health if fhey weren’t worried about them organizing.

I believe all of this is correct, however if just one football player tests positive, you would have to ride out the wave, like baseball did.

There are people just drooling to say I told you so.

I believe all of this is correct, however if just one football player tests positive, you would have to ride out the wave, like baseball did.

Agreed and there are going to be positive tests but will they weather the storm, like you said. If they decide to play they are all agreeing they will do this, take a bit of a hit from a public perception because it's basically inevitable to a certain extent.

College rosters are so large you can survive 15 players testing positive and still have enough players to play.
Unlike baseball.

The problem is that team won’t be competitive but it shouldn’t matter if a team gets ravaged for the told you so crowd.
The people yelling about that stuff are ones paid to cover the sport and could lose their jobs.
I don’t care what Rovell or Florio think as much as I don’t care what Clay Travis thinks.

The problem is the harm to their long term health and the players aren’t compensated. If the players were compensated I say let them Play if they want too.

I disagree. No one wants to say I told you so. Everyone that posts here and on other boards do so because they love their teams and they love to watch the sport. People are concerned about the Virus. Quite frankly, anyone that isn't concerned about it is a dope. I want to have the life I had before this virus. But I am mature enough (rarely) to realize that there are things bigger than what I want in this world. Everyone, everyone, wants to see our teams playing. Everyone should be deathly afraid that the cost will be too high. We all should hope it isn't.

Right now it’s basically Acc , sec , big 12
Play 8 shorten the season 1 bowl game as a 9th game between the conferences
And an old fashioned national voted champion
Get the season over with early December
Get out while you can . Experts say the winter will be bad . If the experts are right there is NO WAY we have spring football! This will mean the virus is worst so no way players will be on campus having to start practand lifting in January. So it’s now or next fall
There will be no ‘spring football’.

the thought is comical.

we could see college hoop if the quarantine the 15 starting after Thanksgiving and start in January, but there will be no football.

College rosters are so large you can survive 15 players testing positive and still have enough players to play.
Unlike baseball.

The problem is that team won’t be competitive but it shouldn’t matter if a team gets ravaged for the told you so crowd.
The people yelling about that stuff are ones paid to cover the sport and could lose their jobs.
I don’t care what Rovell or Florio think as much as I don’t care what Clay Travis thinks.

The problem is the harm to their long term health and the players aren’t compensated. If the players were compensated I say let them Play if they want too.
Fifteen players from one team testing positive at the same time probably results in a game cancellation.

At this point, yes. I think there are certainly those people. 100%. They'll never admit it.

I'm not saying you, so you don't have to take it personally.
Honest, I wasn't. I just can't imagine anyone wanting to be right about that

I am amused at all the colllege football coaches and administrative officials that are coming out and saying the situation is the safest for the players. It's arguable - maybe yes, maybe no -- there is no definitive science behind it, and it is clearly based on the environment the individuals is off the field. But now that it's their money they are losing, all of the sudden they care about the safety and what is best for players more than anything else. I see...

I am not against a college football season -- simply for equity to the players, which this situation clearly showed the holes in the system. Those who want to play with significant protocols fine -- those who choose to opt out for whatever reason, better be more than fully protected.

Unlike baseball.

Your first paragraph, the concern isn't the 15 players testing positive, it is the 15 turning into 70 having to quarantine once contact tracing is completed.

That is the big issue with the virus and what has stopped certain MLB teams from continuing for a time, the want to ensure the virus stays confined to one team.

I disagree. No one wants to say I told you so. Everyone that posts here and on other boards do so because they love their teams and they love to watch the sport. People are concerned about the Virus. Quite frankly, anyone that isn't concerned about it is a dope. I want to have the life I had before this virus. But I am mature enough (rarely) to realize that there are things bigger than what I want in this world. Everyone, everyone, wants to see our teams playing. Everyone should be deathly afraid that the cost will be too high. We all should hope it isn't.
There are some in the media who want to say I told you so. However they are just annoying and can be ignored.
Mike Florio and Darren Rovell’s Twitter feeds are the types he is referring to.

I ignore them but they are crowing to say I told you so.

The college games shouldn’t be played because the players aren’t compensated. Pro athletes can be asked to risk their health because they are paid good salaries.
College kids aren’t.
If colleges want to pay the kids to risk their health then play the games.

I am amused at all the colllege football coaches and administrative officials that are coming out and saying the situation is the safest for the players. It's arguable - maybe yes, maybe no. But now that it's their money they are losing, all of the sudden they care about the safety and what is best for players more than anything else. I see...

I am not against a college football season -- simply for equity to the players, which this situation clearly showed the holes in the system. Those who want to play with significant protocols fine -- those who choose to opt out for whatever reason, better be more than fully protected.
Well, it is true, isn't it? If I need a test, I wait in a long line next to other potentially infected individuals. Wait about a week for a result. Quarantine.

The players get tested twice a week, gets results much quicker and treated much faster. Likely paid for by the university.

Are the players that opt out...what about them? Do they go home? Are their testing protocols the same as yours and mine? What about health insurance?

Three words that capture the entire essence of the whole matter. Are we right?

I'm afraid the answer to that question won't be known until next January.

If 77 teams can make it through a whole season without any issues, we were right.

30 MLB teams haven't been able to do so.

There are some in the media who want to say I told you so. However they are just annoying and can be ignored.
Mike Florio and Darren Rovell’s Twitter feeds are the types he is referring to.

I ignore them but they are crowing to say I told you so.

The college games shouldn’t be played because the players aren’t compensated. Pro athletes can be asked to risk their health because they are paid good salaries.
College kids aren’t.
I don't see the compensation having anything to do with this. Either it will be safe for these college athletes or it won't be. period. Nothing else matters. Are the non revenue teams playing in the fall at SEC and ACC schools? I honestly don't know. But that would tell us a lot. If it is safe with a reasonable degree of certainty, play the games. If it isn't, you have to cancel. We don't know what they admins were told at the Big 10 and the Pac whatever it is now. They might have been told things by their medical people that would scare the rest of us to death. I don't think we can underestimate the risks of the schools that both decide to go forward and the ones that don't.

I'm afraid the answer to that question won't be known until next January.

If 77 teams can make it through a whole season without any issues, we were right.

30 MLB teams haven't been able to do so.
It might actually be sooner than January if we are wrong.

Well, it is true, isn't it? If I need a test, I wait in a long line next to other potentially infected individuals. Wait about a week for a result. Quarantine.

The players get tested twice a week, gets results much quicker and treated much faster. Likely paid for by the university.

Are the players that opt out...what about them? Do they go home? Are their testing protocols the same as yours and mine? What about health insurance?
My mom took a test yesterday at 3pm
And got the results back by 3:45. She sat in her car and got the results. Thankfully negative.

She didn’t pay a dime.

I can go get a test if I feel any symptoms.

How is testing still an issue? Are red states really being awful on testing?

I am not implying that you're saying this, but for anyone who wants to pay the football players, please review Title IX and come up with a plausible solution.

On the other hand, those that stay and play are in very close proximity to other players. There is no social distance on a playing field.

How is testing still an issue? Are red states really being awful on testing?
I took a test a few weeks ago. It took me 2.5 weeks to get the results back. This was in upstate NY (a blue state obviously). A lot of counties are now up to a 10 day wait to get an appointment to take a test. If you have a specific medical reason or are symptomatic, then I surmise that you're justifiably bumped up. I've been told by the NYS dept of health that testing is becoming a real challenge due to the volume of tests being performed on college students/faculty etc...

I don't see the compensation having anything to do with this. Either it will be safe for these college athletes or it won't be. period. Nothing else matters. Are the non revenue teams playing in the fall at SEC and ACC schools? I honestly don't know. But that would tell us a lot. If it is safe with a reasonable degree of certainty, play the games. If it isn't, you have to cancel. We don't know what they admins were told at the Big 10 and the Pac whatever it is now. They might have been told things by their medical people that would scare the rest of us to death. I don't think we can underestimate the risks of the schools that both decide to go forward and the ones that don't.

The games can be played.
The NFL is going to play all their games.
It can be done safely.
If colleges pay the money and the players want to live with no outside life.
The problem is it’s not fair to the college athlete.
They shouldn’t be treated like they will have to for this season to work and the colleges get all economic benefit.

Pro athletes it makes sense.
Not college athletes.