If for some stupid reason the ACC plays football this fall | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

If for some stupid reason the ACC plays football this fall

The games can be played.
The NFL is going to play all their games.
It can be done safely.
If colleges pay the money and the players want to live with no outside life.
The problem is it’s not fair to the college athlete.
They shouldn’t be treated like they will have to for this season to work and the colleges get all economic benefit.

Pro athletes it makes sense.
Not college athletes.
We don't know for sure that the NFL will be able to pull it off. We don't know what the schools are going to end up doing either for that matter. The NFL will certainly give it a try. Good luck to them. As far as the colleges, I'm in a wait and see mode.

I took a test a few weeks ago. It took me 2.5 weeks to get the results back. This was in upstate NY (a blue state obviously). A lot of counties are now up to a 10 day wait to get an appointment to take a test. If you have a specific medical reason, then I surmise that you're bumped up.
Lol my mom went to an outdoor testing facility in my town.
Told them someone from her department tested positive.
She wanted to test and was worried.
They tested her and slid the results on her car wipers 30 Minutes later.
Her whole department got tested.
Nobody was positive but the one colleague.

What type of testing takes 10 days to
Get results.
If you are positive then you will already have passed the disease off.

I am not implying that you're saying this, but for anyone who wants to pay the football players, please review Title IX and come up with a plausible solution.
I came up with a solution.

You get Congress to exempt revenue productions sports basketball and football from Title IX laws.

Or you create a stipend and call something that around Title IX and you give the athletes that.

Football pays for the scholarships that Title IX requires.

Or you create a shell company and the school pays them a phony contract to do something for a million dollars. That shell companies gives the revenue producing sports X dollars to sign memorabilia.

Obviously you have to do this stuff right but their are ways to pay the Revenue producing kids.

30 MLB teams haven't been able to do so.

Alternatively, if someone wished for their MLB glass to be half full (at minimum), a person could say 28 MLB teams have been able to do so. 2 teams were irresponsible, but the virus was not passed to their opponents on the field. 1 of the 2 teams is back playing. And I believe that all results from these teams were asymptomatic.

Correct my pie in the sky view if I'm not right. I wouldn't say I've followed it all that closely since it hasn't hit my favorite team.

Get results.

My mom took the more intrusive test. And after it was administered, the person dropped the swab on the floor. Had to do it again. She had a pretty good sense of humor about it.

Get results.

To correct you, at least in a few counties in upstate NY (as of Monday) it was 10 days to get an appointment. From the test I took a few weeks ago, it was 2.5 weeks to get the results.

Every region is different. I concur, that a test that takes that long to get the results from is essentially meaningless, but that's where we are.

Well, it is true, isn't it? If I need a test, I wait in a long line next to other potentially infected individuals. Wait about a week for a result. Quarantine.

The players get tested twice a week, gets results much quicker and treated much faster. Likely paid for by the university.

Are the players that opt out...what about them? Do they go home? Are their testing protocols the same as yours and mine? What about health insurance?

By your argument a nurse or doctor is safer in a hospital, than an individual who is largely staying at home and exercising full social distancing, because that nurse or doctor gets tested more regularly and quickly.

The reason the testing protocols are so much higher is they are putting themselves in a risky, high spread environment (the college field, locker room, training room, practice facility). It's absolutely crucial that they have exemplary testing to control spread-- but even with them your risk of catching it is still quite higher than an individual avoiding crowded groups.

If the player leaves the team and stays in less crowded areas he is much less at risk of catching it in the first place The fact that there is less testing, is totally irrelevant in terms of safety in his case -- what is most important in terms of safety is his risk of catching it in the first place. Not sure how that fact totally escaped you.

Now certainly not all players will act with the same control -- but why assume players will jump into crowded areas in their time away or that they live in high risk areas. So those players are clearly not at the same safety risk.

In terms of healthcare, if they opt out, yes for this year it should be the obligation of the NCAA team who is making money off the group of players (after all the NCAA mandate has never been about individuals -- it has always been about football players supporting other scholarship athletes who are huge financial drains). That you might argue with it -- I think it is only fair IMO. Every other major sports that allows players opting out still provides certain benefits to its players.

Last edited:
There will be positives, the media will run with it. However, the only question that really needs to be asked is are infection rates higher for athletes whose teams opted in vs those who opted out and just got infected from the student population anyway.

love that movie...watched it 100 times when I was a pre-teen/teenager

"Why'd you waste Cyrus, why'd you do it?" "No reason, I just like doing things like that." :):)

Alternatively, if someone wished for their MLB glass to be half full (at minimum), a person could say 28 MLB teams have been able to do so. 2 teams were irresponsible, but the virus was not passed to their opponents on the field. 1 of the 2 teams is back playing. And I believe that all results from these teams were asymptomatic.

Correct my pie in the sky view if I'm not right. I wouldn't say I've followed it all that closely since it hasn't hit my favorite team.

We're on week 3 of the MLB season.

The Yankees have played 17 games so far.

The Cardinals have only played 5.

Each team that gets sick has a cascading effect on every team on their schedule.

The variety of testing wait times/results lag is insane. Got tested in CT on thursday evening. Got my results Monday morning.

To correct you, at least in a few counties in upstate NY (as of Monday) it was 10 days to get an appointment. From the test I took a few weeks ago, it was 2.5 weeks to get the results.

Every region is different. I concur, that a test that takes that long to get the results from is essentially meaningless, but that's where we are.
2.5 weeks to get results?

My god that is just insanity(not directed at you)

You have the virus and have it leave your system in that timeframe.
I am betting they expect you to quarantine while you await your results as well.

We as a country need better testing procedures than that.

2.5 weeks to get results?

My god that is just insanity(not directed at you)

You have the virus and have it leave your system in that timeframe.
I am betting they expect you to quarantine while you await your results as well.

We as a country need better testing procedures than that.

Many schools are requiring students/faculty produce a negative test that was taken 2 weeks prior to coming to campus. So if a student is negative 14 days prior to returning to campus, then they're "safe". Explain the logic in that.

There is some truth to this. It's been helpful that teams can reschedule on short notice and have some flexiblity to go play other teams when their games against infected teams were cancelled. Unfortunately CFB won't have that flexibility. Team outbreaks won't happen in a vacuum, there will be ripple effects.

Many schools are requiring students/faculty produce a negative test that was taken 2 weeks prior to coming to campus. So if a student is negative 14 days prior to returning to campus, then they're "safe". Explain the logic in that.
Yeah I would just say that is stupid.
Is testing free everywhere?

My mom said her’s was free but this whole thing is a Chit show.

My mom took a test yesterday at 3pm
And got the results back by 3:45. She sat in her car and got the results. Thankfully negative.

She didn’t pay a dime.

I can go get a test if I feel any symptoms.

How is testing still an issue? Are red states really being awful on testing?

I mean... good for her?

We had a scare two weeks ago with my 6 year old suddenly developing a fever, sore throat, etc. and got her tested the next day. Results took four days. In a blue state. They told us we'd get the results in 2-3 days.

We similarly did a drive-up test. Wish we'd gotten the results that quickly.

Yeah I would just say that is stupid.
Is testing free everywhere?

My mom said her’s was free but this whole thing is a Chit show.

At least in NYS, it is free completely free essentially everywhere . One place I had to provide my proof of insurance (which I knew that they'd cover), while there are many many places they never even ask for that information and just ask for your name, address and then tell you how you can get the results.

Heck, I've been tested a few times and each time is different (one time they did a quick jab in the nose, another they left it there for 15 seconds, another they did both nostrils etc...)

I can see the theory behind it. If you take the test when you arrive, and then go to a clearing house of sorts (Some isoldated hotel room for 14 days) within 24 hours, it could largely work.

But I am not sure if that is the system they are doing -- if it is simply a test from a high risk area a week ago, and you just arrived here yesterday and are fully clear, then certainly I can see the problem.

Last edited:

Each team that gets sick has a cascading effect on every team on their schedule.

This isn't static. MLB has tightened protocols since the season began. Teams now see the risk.

But they'll get thru it and our big asterisk of a season will go on. Don't let the lowest common denominator dictate the decisions.

Maybe the Cardinals only play 50 games. Maybe the Cardinals win the World Series. Everyone then says well that's unfair! And a couple months later, no one cares. If I were commissioner, the Cardinals and the Marlins would have been told better luck controlling your players next year, and we'd move on with 28 teams.

I've also read people blaming injuries on all of this. It's baseball. The Yankees in 2019, in a non-COVID year were pulling people out of the crowd to play because of all their injuries. True story, Mike Ford was selling hot dogs, and just jumped out on the field and grabbed a bat.

That's a misrepresentation of how the process works. Our summer nanny just left for college, and had to follow these protocols before enrolling at Fordham. First, she's required to get tested before arrival, and produce a negative result. Then, she goes to the college, turns in that paperwork, and then goes into quarantine for a two week period, during which she is tested twice -- at the beginning, and toward the end. If all results come back negative, then she's cleared for on-campus activities. If not, she's blocked and will be given on-line only alternatives.

They're not asking for a result from two weeks ago, and clearing her. The two weeks are a subsequent period of sequestering, as an additional precautionary measure.

That's a misrepresentation of how the process works. Our summer nanny just left for college, and had to follow these protocols before enrolling at Fordham. First, she's required to get tested before arrival, and produce a negative result. Then, she goes to the college, turns in that paperwork, and then goes into quarantine for a two week period, during which she is tested twice -- at the beginning, and toward the end. If all results come back negative, then she's allowed to participate in on-campus activities. If not, she's blocked.

They're not asking for a result from two weeks ago, and saying she's good. The two weeks are a subsequent period of sequestering, as an additional precautionary measure.

Every school is different. Many are not requiring (or at least enforcing) any sort of quarantine or self isolation after taking the test. It sounds like Fordham is doing things MUCH better than most schools.

My mom took a test yesterday at 3pm
And got the results back by 3:45. She sat in her car and got the results. Thankfully negative.

She didn’t pay a dime.

I can go get a test if I feel any symptoms.

How is testing still an issue? Are red states really being awful on testing?
Glad that your mom tested negative.

My brother got tested a couple of weeks ago. Two hour wait (isolated in his car, though, everyone else was there for that too) and 5 business days for the results (a week factoring in the weekend). It was negative (Thankfully!!).

Just saying, it was unlikely he had it (but his doc suggested to just be safe) and it wasn't that big of a deal. But I have to think that the athletes have much better access and protocols than society on the street.

Glad that your mom tested negative.

My brother got tested a couple of weeks ago. Two hour wait (isolated in his car, though, everyone else was there for that too) and 5 business days for the results (a week factoring in the weekend). It was negative (Thankfully!!).

Just saying, it was unlikely he had it (but his doc suggested to just be safe) and it wasn't that big of a deal. But I have to think that the athletes have much better access and protocols than society on the street.
My son in-law is an emergency first responder in the Capital District. He was told both administering the test and analyzing the sample would be given priority due his first responder role. He waited over 3 hours to get tested and the results took 8 days. Thankfully negative. That doesn't exactly fit my paradigm of a priority.

My son in-law is an emergency first responder in the Capital District. He was told both administering the test and analyzing the sample would be given priority due his first responder role. He waited over 3 hours to get tested and the results took 8 days. Thankfully negative. That doesn't exactly fit my paradigm of a priority.

The last time I took a test, they asked if I was a first responder while I was waiting in line. My GUESS is that 1st responders may get access to their results sooner? Still 8 days is basically worthless.