If (God forbid) Keita is out for the year... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

If (God forbid) Keita is out for the year...

I think this discussion is all for not, but I really don't think JB would have any chance but to burn Chino's RS. As much as Rak has developed if he has to play 35 minutes a game he is going to get in foul trouble. Our defensive rebounding was awful when Grant was at center. No way Roberson is going to play C. We need warm bodies and that is exactly what Chino is. We have a chance to win it all, and JB isn't getting any younger. It's all hands on deck

I agree with this 100%. Chino has to play if BMK is out. anyone thinking Grant can handle the center, even for 10 minutes, is insane. We downgrade at multiple positions and GREATLY reduce Grant's effectiveness.

Guys - GUYS. Repeat after me - "Obokoh will not play this season". Will. Not. Happen.

Reactions: MGP
I agree with this 100%. Chino has to play if BMK is out. anyone thinking Grant can handle the center, even for 10 minutes, is insane. We downgrade at multiple positions and GREATLY reduce Grant's effectiveness.
Do we have any idea if Chino would be better in the middle than Grant or Roberson?

Do we have any idea if Chino would be better in the middle than Grant or Roberson?

This is an astute question. Because playing center is the zone is not just about matching up and checking your man--the center has a lot of responsibilities in terms of what they have to do defensively. I don't think that's well understood by many posters--you can't just throw somebody out there and expect them to handle what the coaching staff expects defensively.

Chino has potential, and I think that in time he'll prove to be a good player for us. But that's down the road. At this point, he'd be a stop gap with 5 fouls, which, I suppose, is some value. Nor do I think that Roberson could handle the pivot. Our best bet short term would be for Roberson to play like the aggressively rebounding 4 he was reputed to be when we inked him, get him a bit more comfortable, and use him on the wing so that Jerami can steal some minutes at center.

Coach is going to go with the players he trusts--that's just the way it is.

RF2044 said:
This is an astute question. Because playing center is the zone is not just about matching up and checking your man--the center has a lot of responsibilities in terms of what they have to do defensively. I don't think that's well understood by many posters--you can't just throw somebody out there and expect them to handle what the coaching staff expects defensively.
Not only that but if Grant moves over to C , than you have someone else taking over his spot in the zone thats not accustomed to filling that position.

Not only that but if Grant moves over to C , than you have someone else taking over his spot in the zone thats not accustomed to filling that position.

Agreed--but it is more likely that Roberson will be able to handle the responsibilities of a wing in the zone than he would at center.

There is a reason why Coleman often got pulled--defensive lapses. It would be no different with Roberson, or Chino, or Grant for that matter. But that's the hand we're dealt if Keita can't play.

Has anyone considered that a Hall of Fame coach that is approaching 1000 wins just might be the best person to answer this question?

There are two issues:

Who could play center the best for us?

Where can Grant play the best for us?

I'm not sure the second question isn't more important than the first. I'd put the stop-gap, (whether it's Roberson or Obokoh), at center and let Grant do his thing from forward.

Has anyone considered that a Hall of Fame coach that is approaching 1000 wins just might be the best person to answer this question?

What, you think that Mike Krzyzewski is just going to switch teams in the middle of the season?

Chino has potential, and I think that in time he'll prove to be a good player for us. But that's down the road. At this point, he'd be a stop gap with 5 fouls, which, I suppose, is some value. Nor do I think that Roberson could handle the pivot. Our best bet short term would be for Roberson to play like the aggressively rebounding 4 he was reputed to be when we inked him, get him a bit more comfortable, and use him on the wing so that Jerami can steal some minutes at center.

Coach is going to go with the players he trusts--that's just the way it is.

I believe that Chino will get abused if he plays. i would still prefer that for 7 minutes, as opposed to Grant getting abused and in foul trouble, along with Roberson playing Grant's usual spot (another large downgrade on defense.)

As Bored Historian said above, moving Grant is a terrible idea. I dont know who should be the 5, but not him. Ever.

I believe that Chino will get abused if he plays. i would still prefer that for 7 minutes, as opposed to Grant getting abused and in foul trouble, along with Roberson playing Grant's usual spot (another large downgrade on defense.)

As Bored Historian said above, moving Grant is a terrible idea. I dont know who should be the 5, but not him. Ever.
If BMK is unavailable, JB will make his decision based on what he feels gives the team the best chance to win. My guess is he will ride Christmas as far as he can and then use Grant in the middle as necessary.

I've been reading posts on here for years, but never cared to comment. Great source for information.

I think it is interesting that most of the posts assume that the solutions are limted to personnell and positions. Love him or hate him, Boeheim knows basketball. He could very well shock everyone and go to a man defense, or change the entire scheme. He knows that his zone needs at least two active big men under the basket, and he knows what Grant's limitations are. But will he?

In my opionion, the question shouldn't be who plays where, but what our illustrious coach comes up with if BMK is out. This is what he makes the big bucks for.

His zone works because he has the right players, but what will he do, or better yet, what has he done, when he does not have the right players for the scheme. Is he capable of letting go of the zone, if there is a more effective defensive scheme? In golf terms, will he continue to play a fade with a left to right wind on a dog leg left? Is he capable of laying up and using more club into the green?

Situations like this separate good coaches from great coaches. I'm no expert and will never pretend to be, butt this is why I have always been on the fence about Boeheim.

Last edited:
I've been reading posts on here for years, but never cared to comment. Great source for information.

I think it is interesting that most of the posts assume that the solutions are limted to personnell and positions. Love him or hate him, Boeheim knows basketball. He could very well shock everyone and go to a man defense, or change the entire scheme. He knows that his zone needs at least two active big men under the basket, and he knows what Grant's limitations are. But will he?

In my opionion, the question shouldn't be who plays where, but what our illustrious coach comes up with if BMK is out. This is what he makes the big bucks for.

His zone works because he has the right players, but what will he do, or better yet, what has he done, when he does not have the right players for the scheme. Is he capable of letting go of the zone, if there is a more effective defensive scheme? In golf terms, will he continue to play a fade with a left to right wind on a dog leg left? Is he capable of laying up and using more club into the green?

Situations like this separate good coaches from great coaches. I'm no expert and will never pretend to be, butt this is why I have always been on the fence about Boeheim.

If his plan is to spell Rak with Grant for 10 minutes a game... then i will be really disappointed. Grant will be so much less effective when at the 5. Adios highlight reel blocks, hello foul trouble.

What, you think that Mike Krzyzewski is just going to switch teams in the middle of the season?

Last I checked, there were two Hall of Fame coaches approaching 1000 wins, and if I remember correctly, one gave the other a "Welcome to the ACC" gift a couple weeks ago.

If his plan is to spell Rak with Grant for 10 minutes a game... then i will be really disappointed. Grant will be so much less effective when at the 5. Adios highlight reel blocks, hello foul trouble.
What else can JB do? Roberson at the 5 would be a disaster. Highly doubtful he will take a raw Chino off the redshirt for a three game run of 6 miutes per game. Personally, I wouldn't be against it though.

JB is just going to slow the game down. Try and keep his top 5 out of foul trouble and win it at the end. It's been working so far, it is just a little tighter now.

What else can JB do? Roberson at the 5 would be a disaster. Highly doubtful he will take a raw Chino off the redshirt for a three game run of 6 miutes per game. Personally, I wouldn't be against it though.

JB is just going to slow the game down. Try and keep his top 5 out of foul trouble and win it at the end. It's been working so far, it is just a little tighter now.

You are missing the point. Great coaches don't "hope", they think outside the box and "do."

This is a team that, although undefeated, does not have alot of margin for error. Jim has chosen to play 7 guys, and now we have six. Perhaps if Roberson had been given more PT this year, we wouldnt all be scared to death at the thought of him playing major minutes???

I trust Jimbo for the most part, and love him to death... but the "injury to the big man" excuse for why we havent won it all lately can not keep happening. You gotta be ready for any situation. Lets just hope BMK is back soon.

This is a team that, although undefeated, does not have alot of margin for error. Jim has chosen to play 7 guys, and now we have six. Perhaps if Roberson had been given more PT this year, we wouldnt all be scared to death at the thought of him playing major minutes???

I trust Jimbo for the most part, and love him to death... but the "injury to the big man" excuse for why we havent won it all lately can not keep happening. You gotta be ready for any situation. Lets just hope BMK is back soon.

I wouldn't call it an "excuse" -- we started out this season with three centers who all brought something different to the table. 15 fouls, and not enough minutes to play them all. An embarrassment of riches in the pivot.

We lost one for the season, now have another one injured, and are down to one center. That's not an excuse--it's reality. And its a problem.

I wouldn't call it an "excuse" -- we started out this season with three centers who all brought something different to the table. 15 fouls, and not enough minutes to play them all. An embarrassment of riches in the pivot.

We lost one for the season, now have another one injured, and are down to one center. That's not an excuse--it's reality. And its a problem.

Well is our future reality is playing large portions of the game with a small forward playing center, then yikes... fingers crossed.

This is good to hear: ""He's made significant improvements since yesterday,'' Pike said. "I'm very encouraged.''

Sounds like he might only miss a game or two, if that, tops.

It's also good that he's traveling with the team. I still doubt he plays Wednesday but it's a good sign that the medical staff feels he's up to traveling.

Edit: It's actually pretty much etched in stone that he won't play. JB has always had a don't practice...don't play rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom