If JB wants good team the coaches need to add at least two more difference makers for next season. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

If JB wants good team the coaches need to add at least two more difference makers for next season.

JB should be acquiring as much talent as he can.
If he has talent he will make it work.

If JB had Iowa’s roster I think he does better than 2nd round.
With their shooting and length JB probably has that team still playing haha

That roster was made to play a zone.

Can we stop saying staff? This is all one guy. I'm sure the staff is trying to balance everything the best they can.

I include the head coach as part of the coaching staff... a major part of it. So when I say staff weaknesses / decisions, a large part of includes the head coach.

So it could be an issue of semantics in terms of what you consider staff vs me, but in terms of where the majority of the problems are coming from we are probably in agreement.

I don’t think JB is giving his best effort. I really don’t. Gmac, Autry and Griff I am sure are trying everything they can yes.

I disagree with Cusefan0307 best effort comment and Alsacs as well.

Damn, for not having a balanced roster since 2011- 2012 through 2020 – 2021 we haven't done badly, especially this year with players quarantining, games cancelled and unwanted breaks that affected everyone due to Covid.

For those who expect consecutive 30 win seasons, a place in the Final Four every year, 5 stars filling the roster and Jim Boeheim not recruiting or coaching the way they think he should may have to go on whining.

And for those of us who think JB is a great coach we will survive and be happy with someone who has made SU a destination for very good players.

I agree with Alsacs when he says we take on too many projects. It's not a good situation to be able to develop a player over 3 – 4 years the way we used to. We have to break from that. There is some development in every player but you can't do that today and expect to be in the NCAA's at the end of the season.

There are too many very good teams with players going NBA after 1 year. And, a lot of pressure on the coaches to constantly recruit and re - stock more than was the usual.

As was obvious in this years tournament, times have changed in college basketball. There is now a 1 year transfer portal and players who don't think they're getting enough time in the game are taking advantage. In return we must take advantage of the players in the portal, select the players that we need and go after them. The biggest reason that players transfer is because they want more playing time. But there are other factors. They want a school with a better cultural fit. They want to be closer to home (or farther away from home).

In addition, teams who were mostly considered also - rans are winning and blue blood/elite programs are struggling to keep up so they are not over taken by these, these pretenders who really don't belong by recruiting, having the best facilities, home courts and other perks.

2011 – 12 – 34 – 3 Elite Eight

2012 - 13 - 30 – 10 Final Four

2013 - 14 - 28 - 6 Round of 32

2014 - 15 - 18 -13 Banned

2015 - 16 - 23 -14 Final Four

2016 - 17 - 19 – 15 NIT

2017 – 18 - 23 – 14 Sweet Sixteen

2018 - 19 – 20 – 14 First Round

2019 – 20 - 18 – 14 Post season cancelled

2020 - 21 - 18 – 10 Sweet Sixteen

231 – 113

2 Final Fours

1 Elite Eight

2 Sweet Sixteens

1 Round of 32

1 First Round

1 NIT

In the end, it's all about the $ ain't it? The schools private jet that looks the best and gets to the recruit first.

We had 0 rim attackers this year, and weren't to good with inside out. 2 rim attackers 4 deep threats would be really nice. We really need rebounding out of a 3rd forward. Got to roll the dice with zone D. Portal may appear to make sense, but Depth is a must. Still not sure what Benny will bring, but if he gets the option to be the 3rd driver and third 3 point threat early on, instead of first-second in both categories, it would take so much stress off a fresh. Hope Jimmy and buddy aren't the only guys drawing doubles, for inside out.

Last edited:
you think the assistant coaches are so disenfranchised by players leaving (like they are at every school) that they are not working hard? That's quite the take.

It's happening at every school. We're not immune to guys leaving with this one year get out of jail card.

I've said this before. It's hard enough to recruit kids to a program perceived to be stagnating and with a nearly 80-year old head coach who by all accounts doesn't do much of the heavy lifting anymore. But to have that same coach then chase off the kids you do get, it's got to be demoralizing. Not many other assistants face the variety of challenges our guys do.

I disagree with Cusefan0307 best effort comment and Alsacs as well.

Damn, for not having a balanced roster since 2011- 2012 through 2020 – 2021 we haven't done badly, especially this year with players quarantining, games cancelled and unwanted breaks that affected everyone due to Covid.

For those who expect consecutive 30 win seasons, a place in the Final Four every year, 5 stars filling the roster and Jim Boeheim not recruiting or coaching the way they think he should may have to go on whining.

And for those of us who think JB is a great coach we will survive and be happy with someone who has made SU a destination for very good players.

I agree with Alsacs when he says we take on too many projects. It's not a good situation to be able to develop a player over 3 – 4 years the way we used to. We have to break from that. There is some development in every player but you can't do that today and expect to be in the NCAA's at the end of the season.

There are too many very good teams with players going NBA after 1 year. And, a lot of pressure on the coaches to constantly recruit and re - stock more than was the usual.

As was obvious in this years tournament, times have changed in college basketball. There is now a 1 year transfer portal and players who don't think they're getting enough time in the game are taking advantage. In return we must take advantage of the players in the portal, select the players that we need and go after them. The biggest reason that players transfer is because they want more playing time. But there are other factors. They want a school with a better cultural fit. They want to be closer to home (or farther away from home).

In addition, teams who were mostly considered also - rans are winning and blue blood/elite programs are struggling to keep up so they are not over taken by these, these pretenders who really don't belong by recruiting, having the best facilities, home courts and other perks.

2011 – 12 – 34 – 3 Elite Eight

2012 - 13 - 30 – 10 Final Four

2013 - 14 - 28 - 6 Round of 32

2014 - 15 - 18 -13 Banned

2015 - 16 - 23 -14 Final Four

2016 - 17 - 19 – 15 NIT

2017 – 18 - 23 – 14 Sweet Sixteen

2018 - 19 – 20 – 14 First Round

2019 – 20 - 18 – 14 Post season cancelled

2020 - 21 - 18 – 10 Sweet Sixteen

231 – 113

2 Final Fours

1 Elite Eight

2 Sweet Sixteens

1 Round of 32

1 First Round

1 NIT

In the end, it's all about the $ ain't it? The schools private jet that looks the best and gets to the recruit first.

JB says he wants to be a 2 seed, but he doesn’t show the effort needed to build a roster to do that.

An elite wing like a Powell to team with Benny and Buddy and another bigger guard who can shoot and make plays off the bounce. Edwards will be fine as the center.

Jimmy and Symir aren’t those difference makers though.

There’s guys out there, but recent evidence gives me confidence we will be able to do this.

And if the coaches are frustrated with what is happening I wonder if there heart is even in it to get the guys we need to be a good ACC team.
I agree that Jesse will be fine, but who is going to back up C? Jesse can’t be a 40 mpg guy.

Would seem logical that Frank could be a 15-18 mpg backup C, but all past logic seems to put the window on things like that right now.

I’m telling everyone right now, Jimmy B would be a very solid addition. I don’t get the lack of excitement with him joining the team. This kid works super hard and has improved a lot this year. I’m more excited about him coming on board than anyone. Amazing what having more than 1 or 2 shooters could do for this team
My only problem with Jimmy Jr is that our overall athleticism having Buddy, Joe and Jimmy on the floor for 30+ mpg each is SIGNIFICANTLY less than that of our ACC opponents. Benny’s athletic ability doesn’t make up for those guys.

My only problem with Jimmy Jr is that our overall athleticism having Buddy, Joe and Jimmy on the floor for 30+ mpg each is SIGNIFICANTLY less than that of our ACC opponents. Benny’s athletic ability doesn’t make up for those guys.

I’m not saying Jimmy is an exceptional athlete, but he’s a lot better athlete than his brother or Joe.

What Mike is saying, I think, is that the coaches are not going to recruit a player at a position where we have the starter and the back up. You can disagree with that, of course. But that is their mind set. Not when there are other needs. my concern is that with the quality that is out there, we really aren't going to give the effort needed. Not because the coaches are discouraged. But because overall, the Head coach is happy with what we got. A kid like Powell would be just what the dr ordered. Another shooter like Buddy. Let them double him then. That is what a 45 year old head coach would be looking for. And in the end, that is what some 45 year old coach will get.
Powell listed about a dozen schools ...cuse not among them

With Jimmy Jr it’s all about PT. If he gets 20mpg, great - but anything more than that isn’t ideal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom