If Jerami Grant slips into the second round tonight... | Syracusefan.com

If Jerami Grant slips into the second round tonight...

RF2044

Living Legend
...and I'm not saying he will--keeping my fingers crossed and rooting like hell for the kid--but I'm seeing a lot of mock drafts that have him sliding out of the first.

If that happens, will his decision to declare be a mistake? I'm thinking that it would be, on the order of magnitude of Donte Greene.

...and I'm not saying he will--keeping my fingers crossed and rooting like hell for the kid--but I'm seeing a lot of mock drafts that have him sliding out of the first.

If that happens, will his decision to declare be a mistake? I'm thinking that it would be, on the order of magnitude of Donte Greene.
Without question, yes.

There are many who think he already made a mistake leaving in the first place - like JB for one.

Slipping to the second round means non guaranteed contract. ..forgoing another year to physically develop and improve his shooting as an integral part of su's offense is a huge mistake

No way did he play the right odds. The smart move was come back for one more and work on his shot. Some boards don't even have him being drafted in the first two rounds now. This will be way worse then donte. Atleast he stuck around for a few years and made millions.

If Jerami goes 2nd round it absolutely was a mistake to leave. Teams have apparently realized in workouts that he has a 3 position body without 3 position shooting or ball handling skills (what a surprise). He really would have benefited from another year to further develop those skills and cement a 1st round selection the following year. It would be a worse decision than Donte made since he at least went late 1st round and got guaranteed money.

Yes. Huge mistake. And honestly, it already is. If he stays and is the focal point of the team next year - averaging 15-17 ppg - he's a lottery pick. There's no doubt in my mind.

As it is, he's a borderline 1st rounder. Big mistake in my opinion.

realorange said:
Gut feeling there was a lot of ego and a little arrogance on the decision. And maybe much or more of it from the family.

He was fed a lot of bad information in the first place. Many had him projected much higher, but when he starting attending workouts, the NBA folks started recognizing what we we knew all along.

Teams have apparently realized in workouts that he has a 3 position body without 3 position shooting or ball handling skills (what a surprise). He really would have benefited from another year to further develop those skills and cement a 1st round selection the following year.
If a team believes that in that year he'll improve his jump shot in college, why would they think that wouldn't happen in the same season as a professional? If they believe that, picking him up mid-to-late 1st round is a STEAL.

Yes and I really hate to say that. Jerami seems like an awesome kid who always represented himself and the university well. Would hate to see him fall out of the first and not get a guaranteed contract.

But it can still work for him - Chandler Parsons, Glen Davis, Carl Landry, Monta Ellis. Paul Millsap, Isaiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson were all fairly recent 2nd round picks who have done well. The margin of error is definitely small though until Jerami can establish himself.

Regardless, it was the right decision for him and his family. He comes from a family of basketball pros so I don't think the money was the crucial factor. Even if he goes undrafted, he'll have a chance to go to some team's camp or worst case, play in Europe.
It was his decision to make, he made it- and as fans we can disagree all we want, it is/was his call. I think he made the right call & wish him the best.
Btw- Donte made MILLIONS of dollars and probably would've made more if not for his untimely injury, yet there are those who still think it "was a bad decision". Yeah, right. Fan arrogance never ceases to amaze.:rolleyes:

OttoinGrotto said:
If a team believes that in that year he'll improve his jump shot in college, why would they think that wouldn't happen in the same season as a professional? If they believe that, picking him up mid-to-late 1st round is a STEAL.

True, but it will need to develop in practice or in the D League because he probably won't be playing much.

Regardless, it was the right decision for him and his family. He comes from a family of basketball pros so I don't think the money was the crucial factor. Even if he goes undrafted, he'll have a chance to go to some team's camp or worst case, play in Europe.
It was his decision to make, he made it- and as fans we can disagree all we want, it is/was his call. I think he made the right call & wish him the best.
Btw- Donte made MILLIONS of dollars and probably would've made more if not for his untimely injury, yet there are those who still think it "was a bad decision". Yeah, right. Fan arrogance never ceases to amaze.:rolleyes:

There are a LOTS of false / misinformed attributions in your post. Not the least of which is the failure to recognize the opportunity cost of having a longer, more lucrative NBA career [or even a shorter but more lucrative NBA career].

That's the thing I have a difficult time understanding what fans don't recognize. Very short sighted, IMO.

Last edited:
Because most teams look to reduce risk. They want to see the player possess the skill before drafting him rather than speculating whether they will develop the skill. Hopefully for Jerami there will be 1 team that will take a risk on him in the 1st round. But the odds are getting longer.

In a year he would be a year or two away...the NBA isn't built like that. Stupid to leave.

It's the right move. Look at McAdoo. JG stays and doesn't develop a shot he doesn't get drafted at all. He improves his shot he is still only a mid to late first round pick. That's a lot of risk for a guy who can't shoot a ball into a swimming pool. Even if he goes in the second round, he is going to make millions eventually playing basketball, just might not be in the NBA.

two3zone said:
It's the right move. Look at McAdoo. JG stays and doesn't develop a shot he doesn't get drafted at all. He improves his shot he is still only a mid to late first round pick. That's a lot of risk for a guy who can't shoot a ball into a swimming pool. Even if he goes in the second round, he is going to make millions eventually playing basketball, just might not be in the NBA.

A solid junior year would have made him a top 20 pick. If he can't develop a jump shot, he's not playing in the NBA, whether he returned or not.

That's not what happened for Hakim Warrick.